Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone who has wrecked an Evo...I need help quick

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I dealt with geico in the the past im sure they work well with people depending on which location that you are in. From what I have dealt with its not a good dealing I had. I had minimal damage to my car the said for me to let them take it to their geico prefered shop I said okay.

Then their shop let the car sit for amonth and did nothing to repair the patched up the rear bumper when I rubbed a hole in it when I touched the wall from a bad spin out. Then they charged me extra to diagnose the car which they did a ****ty job on it.

They replaced the rim and two tires up front of the car which I could have did myself which was sad. Then when I got my monthly payment to pay up for the month they beat me in the head my premium went up from full coverage 393 a month to 485. I asked them how the hell it get up that high they said because it amounted to 5k in damages. This is how they get their money back when your premium rates go up . This is when I had the srt4. so remember unless its really serious try to pay out of pocket if you can help it.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by btmboards
So yesterday night while driving, a string of bad events ended up leading to me hitting a guard rail head on. Crushed bumper, passanger headlight, bent up front of hood, and tweeked fender. At first when I looked at it I figured I could replace the parts and call it a day. Then I opened the hood. The frame seems straight but I haven't looked close, but the radiator support is bent up and will have to be replaced.
For my question... At what point does most insurence companies total them out. I am trying to decide whether to even go through insurence or not.
Car is a 06 Evo IX MR GG with 74k miles. Car was in perfect condition with coilovers $1000 in tires 2months ago and a couple other parts.
Call your insurance company and report the damage before they think your committing fraud. Your likey at $7-8k in damage if they total you can negotiate what they pay you. If you only owe 14k and the car is worth 21k you should be able to put 7k in pocket with a little negotiation. Did the air bag pop?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Just so you guys know, there isnt a lot of parts for the Evo that are made aftermarket OEM. pretty much the only thing on the front end that can be bought not OEM but OEM spec is the AC condenser and radiator. I'd go through insurance though. Just like other people said, its going to be over $5000 and more towards $7k.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

I owe 14k on it and when I insured it 6 months ago they valued it at roughly $21500. I was posting the car for sale next week. I need the money else where in life. I am looking for the option that will end me with the most cash possable. When I get home today I am going to get into it and under it to find the complete extent of the damage. And probobly swap my stock suspention back on. I will take and post some pics tonight. So you all can get a better understanding of the extent of damage.
Slo-evo I understand what you are saying, I've been screwed over a few times and I am not out to do that to anyone and if it is totaled (frame damage) then I will absolutly not sell it to someone and I will be totaling it though insurence. Thanks for all the advice I will update you all tonight.

go to kbb, your car is worth WAY more than 14k i mean hell 2003 evo 8's are holding steady at that price right now.. don't get desperate and basically screw yourself trying to make quick money, idk why you haven't called the insurance company already but if i were you, i would call them and get the car repaired at a good body shop and sell it. you could still get about 18-19k for it although its been in an accident. Don't fool yourself into thinking your going to come out on top trying to get things fixed yourself. By the time you buy all the parts to repair it, and labor for paint, and fitting the new hood and fenders, it may even cost you more. keep in mind the evo has alot of aluminum on the front end, and painting aluminum is more expensive than painting reg metal.

even if they total it out, you still have a good motor and other body panels plus one of the most desireable evos of the ct9a bodytype. you could buy it back (they will pay off the lein bc the car is worth more than u owe) and part it out, you can almost get 1k for your seats alone, and proly another 3-400$ for your tailights, not to mention your motorl and trans

but its up to you, seems like you already have your mind made up though , its up to u
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

They will only total the car if the price of the repairs cost 80% of the cars full value. I dont think your close to being there. although it was $6500 in damage to replace my quarter panal and rear bumper (jdm bumper ftw) so you never know, But DO go through your insurance. It would be STUPID not too.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. So I went home and started looking at it better to decide what to do. After looking really close the the core support I decided to call insurence when I called them they said my policy expired do to non renewal for reason of not notifying them when I recently moved to a different house. And they won't reinstate it untill I bring the car out for inspection. So it looks like I am fixing it myself. So for not frying pics up yet. I have been really stressing over the situation the last couple days.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. So I went home and started looking at it better to decide what to do. After looking really close the the core support I decided to call insurence when I called them they said my policy expired do to non renewal for reason of not notifying them when I recently moved to a different house. And they won't reinstate it untill I bring the car out for inspection. So it looks like I am fixing it myself. So for not frying pics up yet. I have been really stressing over the situation the last couple days.
OMG, damn, that really sucks.....

I guess it's off to the fs section and car-part.com

Good Luck