Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Let's talk about aftermarket seats:

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk about aftermarket seats:

Not too long after buying my VIII, the front drivers seat fell victim to the same issue many others did - the plastic backing on the right side of the seat broke. I've considered repairing it myself, but I also look at this as an opportunity to upgrade seats.

I'm looking for a seat that is adjustable and is designed for a driver with a bigger frame. I'm 6'3" and 245lbs. It doesn't need to be a hardcore racing seat, but something that'll support me.

What kind of aftermarket seats are you guys running and would you recommend them? Are they somewhat comfortable for 2-3hour car rides?

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seats that you can adjust exactly like the standard seats would be nice to! and not to big of bulsters but almost like stock. my car has fallen victum to the same haha im 6'5 200lbs so i feel your pain haha almost
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

definitely stay away from bride seats lol
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
definitely stay away from bride seats lol
y u say this?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

they are meant for smaller and shorter guys, im 6'2 190lbs and barely fit and they definitely are not comfortable on long trips. i have the gias and used to have the zetta III type-L (i think thats what they are called) which are supposed to be for bigger guys but they were even worse than the ones i have now, although they were buckets.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I was looking at a couple of the Sparco seats that are adjustable. Some seats are available in a "W" for a wider fitment.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on Bride seats. I had a set and couldnt fit so I sold them and got sparco R505 (replacement for the Torino) Price is good and quality is up there.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smurfster: Do you have any pics of how the Sparco's look installed in your Evo? Thanks, Bro!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
+1 on Bride seats. I had a set and couldnt fit so I sold them and got sparco R505 (replacement for the Torino) Price is good and quality is up there.

Did you have the Torino or Torino 2? What made you replace the Torino with a 505?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:46 AM

Sparco FTW
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Anything Japanese is going to be a gamble as far as fitting a bigger framed person. Corbeau makes a great seat, and they're designed for us fat Americans

Sparco and Recaro both offer seats for bigger people, as well.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of getting aftermarket, why not try source out evo 9 se seats? Theyre comfy and match the interior.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:42 PM

im 6'4" 195 lbs and I love my recaro speed, holds me in great.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^ this.

I've had a Bride Zeta 3, Recaro SR3, JDM ITR Recaros and now a Recaro SP-G. I have to say for bigger guys like the OP, the Recaro Speed/SR series fits the bill perfectly because its comfortable, supportive and well made. note that the USDM Evo seats are actually the JDM Evo WAGON seats which feature smaller bolsters to cater to fatty north americans, while the Recaro Speeds/SRs are more akin to the JDM sedan seats. besides the darth vader styling, the OEM Evo X seats are a great choice as well IMO.

Most people overlook seats when they mod the Evo and they rightfully do so because the OEM Recaro seats are fairly comfortable to begin with (compared to the bouncy, fat/flat pos' found in the USDM STI). some might think that its overkill to have a fixed back seat for a daily driver but for skinnier guys like me (6'1 160lbs), the flimsy stock Recaro just it doesn't cut it. my SP-G is not only far more supportive, i find it to be more comfortable i would go as for to say that it's my favorite mod on the car, even over my Ohlins and HKS 7460. the reason is simple - the second you plop yourself into the car, the seat is what connects you to everything, no matter if you're cruising to the mall or running hard at the track. if you're bigger and like driving hard, i'd highly recommend checking out the Recaro SP-G XL and did i mention that having fixed back seats are a great way to save weight?

there is no way i'd ever sell this seat

as for Brides, i find them to lack bottom thigh support found in Recaros and Sparcos (notice the raised bottom cushion). i have long thighs so my flat-bottomed Zeta 3 drove me nuts when i had it (even with the seat mounted in a way where its reclined more). the quality is there but the padding is thinner so its less comfortable for daily driving. i haven't had reclineable Brides so i can't speak for those, though
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fightex

as for Brides, i find them to lack bottom thigh support found in Recaros and Sparcos (notice the raised bottom cushion). i have long thighs so my flat-bottomed Zeta 3 drove me nuts when i had it (even with the seat mounted in a way where its reclined more). the quality is there but the padding is thinner so its less comfortable for daily driving. i haven't had reclineable Brides so i can't speak for those, though
Did you try the additional knee pad on your Bride? It helps a bit. I agree on a good seat being an excellent mod. Nothing better than the safety and connectedness (is that even a word?!) you get from a high quality bucket seat.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about aftermarket seats: