Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

safc is junk on an evo? why???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safc is junk on an evo? why???

people on dsm forums love the apexi safc converter so someone please tell me why its concidered "paper weight" in an evo.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Because it has no use on an evo. Since the stock ecu is so powerful it truly is a paper weight.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry for the "dumb questions" Things I should probably know. Ive owned the evo for about 3 years but never messed with any tuning or mods. Ive done basic things swapped out the tcase replaced 4th gear but thats it. How about the Apexi turbo timer. Useless or worth while on a stock daily driver?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Sorry for the "dumb questions" Things I should probably know. Ive owned the evo for about 3 years but never messed with any tuning or mods. Ive done basic things swapped out the tcase replaced 4th gear but thats it. How about the Apexi turbo timer. Useless or worth while on a stock daily driver?
You'll get mixed emotions about this as well. I personally have timed down all my turbo cars. It's just good insurance, especially with high dollar turbos. I've read threads here where people say it's wasting money, and just don't beat on the car 5 minutes before you shut it off. To each his own I guess, but I still run a TT.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my Apexi turbo timer. Works great

Keeps the oil running through the turbo/motor for a short while to cool everything down and prevent oil from coagulating in the turbo's oil feed line.

Some people on here will tell you it's worthless, however, I like the peace of mind.

-Bink
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Your other thread got deleted but I'll repost link here for you. Start with the sticky threads at the top like "How to tune an EVO". This will give you a better understanding

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecuflash-179/
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

people on dsm forums love the apexi safc converter so someone please tell me why its concidered "paper weight" in an evo.
Because on a DSM, there were very limited tuning solutions other than DSMLink, full standalone, or running a a piggyback such as this.

On the Evos, the stock ECU will allow you to do everything the SAFC can do, and more.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

ECUFlash is almost as capable as other more expensive standalone ECU's. S-AFC is a waste of time. I ended up with a turbo timer because the Blitz FATT showed boost beyond my Defi gauge could (30) psi. Now that I'm running Prosports I'll keep it as added insurance.

I have a HKS Turbo timer I'm thinking of putting on my Wife's STi because she may not, not beat on it 5 minutes before she turns the car off. LOL
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

go to this thread and study it...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecuflash-179/

Then you need an open port cable - you can read up on this tech here:
http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Then with a decent laptop you can have direct and just about complete access to the ECU. {thumb up}

There are so many better options available on the evo that makes the SAFC obsolete.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TT on a watercooled turbo is pointless,but on an oil only they are good insurance to have.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
SAFC is a piggyback that could only change the Fueling - Not Ignition Timing. Therefore, it should be banished from all Evos.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

I like my Apexi Timer as well. Be ready for all your neighbors to notice and ask "Why does your car not turn off right away when you go inside"?

Also you have to warn anyone who ever might drive the car. For instance when I was getting new tires mounted the guy asked for me keys to pull into the stall. I warned him and never heard of one. I just told him to make sure it's in neutral before trying to shut off the engine, and that it wouldn't shut off right away but it will.

If you don't warn someone, they will quickly turn the key and pull it out and *then* let off the clutch. If it's in gear that's not going to go over well.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:14 AM

Never ran TT on any of my turbo cars - slow drive through alley for a cool down is sufficient, so TT seem like a waste to me.

On the 3s platform I've often wondered why people use 2 piggy backs (Apxi Neo, Maft) for tuning instead of just going with ARC2, Emange, or AEM. Maybe just the complexity of tuning I guess. Interesting the stock ecu on the Evo is good enough.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple man, because the stock ecus on the dsms suck donkey dick without dsmlink to be able to tune too, so some people go the cheap route and try to tune there afrs with an safc, which is fine except either most of them dont have a wideband, or went and bought an auto meter afr gauge that only sweeps colors and doesnt give you readings...haha, So moral of the story the evo stock ecu, can be tuned to do everything the dsm ecu couldnt. Thus the reason why dsm guys jock evos soo hard, its the big brother car they wish they had...haha jk
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo turbo is both water cool and oil cool for the longevity of the turbo,so turbo timer is not needed only if you got a oil cool turbo.

Quick Reply: safc is junk on an evo? why???