Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MA Pothole 1, Evo Wheel 0 - Check this out

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MA Pothole 1, Evo Wheel 0 - Check this out

So the other night I'm driving down 95S near Boston (Waltham if you are in the area). There was construction going on. It was dark out and I was in the left lane going about 55/60ish with another car about 3 car lengths in front of me. I'm driving completely normally, nothing crazy. All of a sudden, I feel what feels like the worst pothole I've ever hit, then a second later I feel whatever I hit, hit the back wheel even harder. I'm pretty sure the whole car jumped off the ground several inches after hitting the second time. Note that I never actually saw what I hit.

I was pretty sure I f*cked something up... but the car was pretty much driving fine... so I kept going. I noticed the car pulling a bit to the right but nothing serious, figured I just knocked my alignment out. After about 10 miles, there is something noticeably wrong so I knew I had a flat. Pulled over, called for a flatbed (didn't want to change a tire in the dark on the Mass Pike). Get to my house finally and this is what I see when I take the wheel off:

I took the car to my local alignment shop (guy specializes in race cars, esp Miatas) to get checked out. He was blown away at the hole in the rim (as I was and still am). He checked the car out and he said it was all good other than being a little out of alignment (I was actually due for one anyway). So it seems I got out of the ordeal less a wheel/tire (tires were almost done anyway) and no other damage.

The car does still seems to be pulling a little bit to the right, but it might be in my head. I called the alignment guy back and he said he checked the tie rods and ball joints and everything looked good. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Luckily, this was my set of race wheels (stock IX SE wheels) with rubber that was just about done. My good set of X MR wheels are still safe.

I'm not quite sure how a pothole could have done this, but I'm not sure what else could have done this damage that wouldn't have ripped apart some part of my body or undercarriage. As far as I've seen there is no other damage. I still need to get under the car for a second look.

I was pretty lucky to not roll or get in a serious accident. Thank god for Mitsu over building the sh*t out of this car

I'm looking into options for getting some money out of this via the state or my insurance company. The state basically told me to screw the other day but did say I could go after the construction company since it was in a work zone. Not sure if I'm going to bother. Hopefully my insurance will give me some money back towards replacing the wheel under comprehensive without hitting my surcharge. I'm still following up on this.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the car to my local alignment shop (guy specializes in race cars, esp Miatas)

^
Sounds like an OxyMoron. Tons of Race miatas around haha.

I saw that construction. Awfully area. And I'd definitely go after state or construction company. They have to cover it. Better than trying the insurance company, especially if they try and jack up the insurance.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Go after the construction company if you can prove it was their fault. The Highway Dept can give you the info.

Had a similar thing happen to me in FL when I was driving under an overpass and all kinds of crap got dropped on to my car, damaging my hood. Got the info from the highway dept, contacted the construction company main office, they asked for details and pictures.

They had few questions that I answered and then processed the claim in 2 weeks; (check came from the their Insurance company).

Worth a shot, as depending on your comprehensive deductible it could save you some out of pocket costs
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nesiop
I took the car to my local alignment shop (guy specializes in race cars, esp Miatas)

^
Sounds like an OxyMoron. Tons of Race miatas around haha.

I saw that construction. Awfully area. And I'd definitely go after state or construction company. They have to cover it. Better than trying the insurance company, especially if they try and jack up the insurance.
if he had stopped and maybe called the cops i think he could of when after the city or the construction company, but he kept going they could say that this happened anywhere else but where they are doing construction.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like the pothole shot you with a high cal. round.

Crap man that looks messed up. At least everyone is safe, could have been much worse.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ILoveAWD
if he had stopped and maybe called the cops i think he could of when after the city or the construction company, but he kept going they could say that this happened anywhere else but where they are doing construction.
In retrospect, I wish I pulled over right away. It wasn't apparent to me at the time it happened that the damage was this bad.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raistlin
Looks like the pothole shot you with a high cal. round.

Crap man that looks messed up. At least everyone is safe, could have been much worse.
Totally agree on both regards! It could have been MUCH worse. I just really hope that the guy I brought the car to didn't miss anything. I'm actually considering bringing it for a second opinion just for my piece of mind.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paulnsx
Totally agree on both regards! It could have been MUCH worse. I just really hope that the guy I brought the car to didn't miss anything. I'm actually considering bringing it for a second opinion just for my piece of mind.
Second opinion is always good.

Sometimes we forget we are human and miss things or just forget the simple stuff. I have learned where I work that it is often better to have two heads and two sets of eyes looking things over when figuring out a problem.

One person alone can often times miss something.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like rebar went through that rim. Samething as happened to me. not in my evo but a VW. same kind of hole and size. Sorry for that kind of luck
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

looks like a sniper took out your wheel...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

looks like a sniper took out your wheel...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Rebar is a high probablity.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by clubEVO93
It looks like rebar went through that rim. Samething as happened to me. not in my evo but a VW. same kind of hole and size. Sorry for that kind of luck
i think you are right... i think it was rebar...

that should make it much easier for me to get the construction company to comp me money.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:36 PM

Looks like a piece of rebar was in your driving lane. This is what insurance is for ..... Call them.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket dog
Looks like a piece of rebar was in your driving lane. This is what insurance is for ..... Call them.
I'd agree, that is just not a pot hole... something punctured your wheel dude no doubt about it, its on the inside of the wheel between the outer and inner rim

Quick Reply: MA Pothole 1, Evo Wheel 0 - Check this out