Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 7 GTA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redSLed
Technically speaking, you are 100% correct. It's just confusing as to how it was worded with regard to vehicles. Lift and downforce are technically the same but are forces applied from different directions. Obviously with regard to cars, lift is almost certainly an undesirable trait, whereas downforce is something that could be more desirable, at the expense of drag. I've just personally never heard someone say they would desire "lift" or more of it, rather than saying they want "less downforce."
Yes... thats correct. Which is why people refer to it as downforce. Because it saves confusion. But lift doesn't care which direction it goes in, it just goes perpendicular to the airflow. But there is really no such thing as "downforce". Its lift.

My only reason for being a stickler is because many of my students have completely ridiculous explanations for how lift works. Anyway... carry on.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah it can be confusing. I guess it all depends on which context you are using the terms lift and "downforce." Downforce is just a word to stop people being confused when then want more directional stability from their cars! Their likely not gonna say "I need MORE downward lift" which sounds like an oxymoron really!

Are you a flight instructor?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redSLed
Yeah it can be confusing. I guess it all depends on which context you are using the terms lift and "downforce." Downforce is just a word to stop people being confused when then want more directional stability from their cars! Their likely not gonna say "I need MORE downward lift" which sounds like an oxymoron really!

Are you a flight instructor?
Among other things. But yes, I have my CFI and CFIi. Don't get too excited though... aviation isn't all its cracked up to be.