Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hard time finding evo 8's let alone an evo.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novem
I'd get one in SoCal. Car will at least not have rust! There are a lot of 8's and 9's here. I've seen some pics of Evos from the mid west and they really take a beating on the underside.

N
This.

I'm not trying to offend any Northeasterners... but I would never buy a car from NY/NJ. A friend of mine bought one from there with 5k miles and it was abused well beyond what you would think possible for the mileage. IF you could find one that wasn't a corrosion nightmare, the roads are terrible and there's a big drag race scene full of disrespectful owners with more money than brains. It is possible to find a good car there, but you either need to take time to get to know the local road-racer/enthusiast scene and owners, or just get lucky. If I were a local, I wouldn't be apprehensive about it because I'm sure I could find vouches and get some idea about the history.

If I were as close as you are to SoCal, AZ, NM, etc, I'd buy from there, period, end-of-sentence.

Most times I think I'd rather buy a Southwestern US car that was advertised as abused than a Northeastern car that was advertised as babied. The IX I bought has a cosmetic blemish or two, but I don't stress about corrosion, (registered only in SoCal and NC. ). I plan on keeping it for as long as I can so where it's been makes a difference to me.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

I second Ferno's comments on the NJ/NY sentiment. I lived there for nearly 3 years and you really need to to do your homework a particular car before you buy something there. Again like FERNO said..... not trying to offend, but, man they are rough on cars over there, and, I have never had more issues owning a car than I did there. People weren't very respectful of anything, including cars.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found my 9 on autotrader, but when you find something you are interested in call ASAP. Call them and put down a deposit. These cars really do go FAST. Right after I put my deposit down on my 9. Two people came in with cash to pay for it. Also look in other states too. I had to drive 5 hours from Maryland to New Jersey to pick mine up!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

I got really lucky with mine. '03 VIII with only 69k miles, picked it up for 16,500
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219
Call them and put down a deposit. These cars really do go FAST. Right after I put my deposit down on my 9. Two people came in with cash to pay for it.
that's bad business on the sellers end. in general a deposit = non-refundable and entering into a contract.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:12 PM

Im from norcal so i have abuncha guys keepin an eye out and a brother in long beach looking, but i took your advice on outta state and found a decent looking 05 evo8 in texas but im going to keep looking around before I drive or fly halfway a crossed the country. my bro in LB says they have alot down there but alot of them are still going for upwards of 30g's which i think is nuts when you could get a 2010 X with less than 10k for that price right here in town.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:09 PM

I found my 9 on autotrader, but when you find something you are interested in call ASAP. Call them and put down a deposit. These cars really do go FAST. Right after I put my deposit down on my 9. Two people came in with cash to pay for it. Also look in other states too. I had to drive 5 hours from Maryland to New Jersey to pick mine up!
This.

It took me 6 months to find my 2004 VIII with 28,000 miles. It was garage kept and lightly modded. I was lucky and it showed up at an infinity dealer just over the VA line in MD. Just after i got there 2 other people showed up to check out the car. Both waited while i worked out the deal just in case it fell through (3+ hrs). One guy even tried to out bid me on the car just before i closed. They were pretty upset.

Most of all be patient. Wait for the right one. I passed on 3 or 4 that I thought were "the one." It was worth the wait.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup same here, found mine on autotrader, and had to drive to NJ from Maryland as well. I will also agree with what some other people are saying about cars from NJ/NY being beat on. The IX MR I got had some serious abuse despite a good selection of bolt-ons, tune, and low mileage. The car only had 24k miles on it, but shocks were blown, transmission battered, clutch destroyed... etc. Terrible roads and street racing scene.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

PM'ed man
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Even in so cal it took me 2 months to find a clean one for under 21k Haha.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:22 PM

Occasionally you will find a deal. My 03 needs a few things, but I got it for 11,500 w/ 94k and the owner threw in about 3,800 in aftermarket parts.
The only rust on the car is on the exterior, and some in weird parts of the engine bay. Not too bad, but I come from many DSM's and I'll work to fix any issues.
Keep on the quest, because good things come to those who wait.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:25 PM
Cru

hmm

Last edited by Cru; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:11 PM

i have one over 100k, but it is clean and runs like a champ. awesome compression.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cru
I'm from Norcal. I've checked Norcal and Socal craigslists and there really isn't much for sale. There are indeed A LOT of evo's in California. But not too many are for sale.

Mine is for sale though lol. I can PM you, or anybody else interested.

03 rally red. built 2.3 stroker with ETS GT30. PM me for price and other questions.
Seriously!
At one point on autotrader in a hundred mile radius from where I live in san Diego there was 18. And increasing that radius to 200 miles it showed 20. The selection is not that great. But as someone above me said, good things come to those who wait my man.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:26 AM

In the same boat as you man, looking for an 8. Just waiting on that oh so special one to pop upp

Quick Reply: Hard time finding evo 8's let alone an evo.