Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strange Cold Start/Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTRicky
I had this problem before. I ended having to up the idle within the ecu. It'll still bog during cold starts, and having the AC on while driving can cause it too. You main deal isn't just the BOV, but your cams. My cosworth 272 cams do it and if I leave my car alone in the cold, it'll stall out.

Problem is common. Up the idle, let the damn thing warm up.
i have s2's but ive done exactly that lol. i thought it was that but then the idle got upped to 1500 rpms on the ecu and it will do it even after it is warm.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by GTRicky
I had this problem before. I ended having to up the idle within the ecu. It'll still bog during cold starts, and having the AC on while driving can cause it too. You main deal isn't just the BOV, but your cams. My cosworth 272 cams do it and if I leave my car alone in the cold, it'll stall out.

Problem is common. Up the idle, let the damn thing warm up.
I'll give it a shot. I just feel as if there is more to it. I am not by any means completely new to owning/working on cars with aggressive cams. I don't think the cams really are the culprit with the random dying though.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Other things I would check is your tps, check to make sure the voltage is within specs, your idle control valve I know mine went bad, and if that fails to find error, check your biss screw to make sure it isn't leaking and make sure it is not screwed in to far or to short. Those are simple things I have had to do in the past and it can't hurt. If you need the specs for the tps lmk I'll post them for you.
Any specs/info would be appreciated. I'm going to have to check into the biss, throttle body seals, and voltage (mini battery, starts every time though so I'm not sure if this would be an issue)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

who tuned the car?

and how long ago did they tune it?

im think it might be your tune. im sure if you bring it to your tuner he can spot out your problem. that way you can rule that out.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What turbo kit and are your cams by chance the Kelford 272s?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by civicej8
who tuned the car?

and how long ago did they tune it?

im think it might be your tune. im sure if you bring it to your tuner he can spot out your problem. that way you can rule that out.
Tuned by David Buschur (under the previous owners' ownership) approximately 3 months ago.

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
What turbo kit and are your cams by chance the Kelford 272s?
Boostlogic with a PTE BB SC61, and yes they are Kelford 272's.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maradits
Tuned by David Buschur (under the previous owners' ownership) approximately 3 months ago.

Boostlogic with a PTE BB SC61, and yes they are Kelford 272's.
FWIW, those Kelfords did a number on my driveability... Do you have the ability to swap them out for diagnostic purposes?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
FWIW, those Kelfords did a number on my driveability... Do you have the ability to swap them out for diagnostic purposes?
I don't have a stock set of cams, or the time to do so really. The car is my daily. I'm thinking about bumping my idle a bit with ecuflash just to see if it helps at all
Old Dec 3, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maradits
I don't have a stock set of cams, or the time to do so really. The car is my daily. I'm thinking about bumping my idle a bit with ecuflash just to see if it helps at all
This unfortunately didn't work for me plus it created a throttle hang issue. I wish you better luck, perhaps the issues are different...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:37 PM

bump for any more input. hopefully i'll have some time to mess with it after finals next week or so, i think my neighbors are getting angry with my car in the mornings... oops
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Have the same issue as the OP. Seems to be a cold start issue. car starts, warms up fine, then after I start driving for a while, when I come to a stop it dies. Push in the clutch, RPM's drop to the floor and die.

Drives perfectly fine, i guess. Boost and all. Car won't start again unless I give it gas and hold it.

Been dealing with this issue for some time. funny thing is, Sometimes it goes away and I think I've fixed it, until months later it pops back up.

SUX. Any more suggestions? Going to try the evoscan fix today or tomorrow.