Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FQ 400 motor

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motec is verry extream !
just look at the new m48 , that **** is at F1 level !
Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

The best bet, in my opinion, would be to get a built short or even long block from almost any vendor on this forum and stick with a stock frame turbo like the hta green or BBK full. You will easily and reliably match the output of the FQ 400 for a fraction of the price.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by RoMeIX
The best bet, in my opinion, would be to get a built short or even long block from almost any vendor on this forum and stick with a stock frame turbo like the hta green or BBK full. You will easily and reliably match the output of the FQ 400 for a fraction of the price.
Why build a motor when you can do it with stock parts? Tuning is your friend so why not use what you have and not waste any money? 400hp isn't very hard to do on stock block, stock turbo. You can achieve that with minor bolt ons with no upgraded turbo.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
I had that power on my little 8 turbo and 26psi
Didn't cost much either
Isn't there 800+whp guys here on stock ecu?
there r ppl with over 1000hp on stock ecu, but you have no idea whats capable with a motec system. it's literally a blank slate.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by toxic-evo
there r ppl with over 1000hp on stock ecu, but you have no idea whats capable with a motec system. it's literally a blank slate.
The Motec is no different then an AEM unit or Megasquirt or any other standalone unit. They are all blank slates. Will they allow you to do more? Sure but whats the point of spending 5 grand on a unit like that when you can do it on a stock ecu. I understand what your saying and all, but your going way overboard on this. 400 hp in an evo isn't hard, you can fart and make 400 hp out of a 4g63.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
A stock ecu is not even in the same league as a motec ecu
Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
It was just to let the OP know the stock ECU could support the Flow Race built engine.
Its not like the FQ 400 motor can't be operated without the Motec.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
The Motec is no different then an AEM unit or Megasquirt or any other standalone unit. They are all blank slates. Will they allow you to do more? Sure but whats the point of spending 5 grand on a unit like that when you can do it on a stock ecu. I understand what your saying and all, but your going way overboard on this. 400 hp in an evo isn't hard, you can fart and make 400 hp out of a 4g63.
so you think that a motor running on a stock ecu is just as efficient as one with individual lamba and temperature sensors per cylinder? as well as pressure, force and motion sensors

just saying.. there's a lot more control. and im going to have to argue the fact that a motec system is far more advanced then an aem or megasquirt
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes, Yes I do if it wasn't they wouldn't put it in the car. You have to remember all those extra sensors aren't needed. If you were running a deticated race car where every single piece of info was need then sure mine as well. Most of us run our cars for light track and or dd duties. I am not argueing here that the motec is not worth it. By no means, but what I am saying here is our stock ecu is powerful enough and can log just as much as we need to get the job done. Sure you can add a guage or 2 to help with things, but unless your serious into racing it really isn't needed.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

lots if things aren't needed to make a car run, sounds like ud prefer a carb lol... jkjk
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the FQ400's don't have the 400ishtq cap that the stock Evo's do. If $ wasn't an option, it would be cool to have one.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by toxic-evo
lots if things aren't needed to make a car run, sounds like ud prefer a carb lol... jkjk
Hahahaha come on mang I am old but not that old. hahaha
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bigben
I'm sure the FQ400's don't have the 400ishtq cap that the stock Evo's do. If $ wasn't an option, it would be cool to have one.
It has forged internals so I think it is safe to say no.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Its not like the FQ 400 motor can't be operated without the Motec.
i understand that, but you cant even compare a stock ecu to what motec can do. like i said, its not even in the same league
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
i understand that, but you cant even compare a stock ecu to what motec can do. like i said, its not even in the same league
Understandable but your not compairing apples to apples your compairing apples to heavenly ambrosia. I am not gonna say the motec isn't a good ecu to have, I am saying that it isn't needed to accomplish 400 hp.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Looking at what the ecu actually is, all it is is a glorified stock ecu. Now if you go to the full stand alone that is a different story. So again the 2 aren't compairable.