Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does the seatbelt go off with seat belt un buckled?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Does the seatbelt go off with seat belt un buckled?

Title pretty much explains it.
I have 4 point harness in the car and i was wondering if my airbag will even go off if i get in an accident. my seat belt light is on in the dash ofcourse since stock seat belt is not buckled in.
If it does not go off, how can i switch it so that my car thinks seat belt is buckled?

Also,
I also heard that it is a bad thing when air bag goes off with the driver wearing a helmet (track use) is this true? if so, is this the reason why people get aftermarket steering wheels? (other than lightness)

Sorry for the long questions
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont have an answer to that question...

but i have a solution for your seat belt light, go to the junkyard or order online just the buckle portion of the seat belt and buckle it in...
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tim85851
i dont have an answer to that question...

but i have a solution for your seat belt light, go to the junkyard or order online just the buckle portion of the seat belt and buckle it in...

I know when i had a subaru, there was a buckling sequence that disabled the seatbelt light
Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just go underneath the seat and unplug the connector to the buckle. problem solved
Old Dec 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

isnt there any kind of code though?? on a subaru it was like clicking 3 times within 5 seconds
Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
isnt there any kind of code though?? on a subaru it was like clicking 3 times within 5 seconds
Yeah, there is 1 click like said above. Unclick the plug at the base of the buckle. Done.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

yeah just unplug the sensor from underneath the seat. that is what i did i got sick of looking at it.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

ok now that i got that question answered

can someone answer this?
I also heard that it is a bad thing when air bag goes off with the driver wearing a helmet (track use) is this true? if so, is this the reason why people get aftermarket steering wheels? (other than lightness)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:00 PM
HN7
Evolving Member

^ Yep, unplug your airbags when wearing helmet @ the track. There's a risk of getting stabbed in the face with the visor when the airbag deployed. Also the added weight may cause you neck injuries when the bag hit you. The quality of the helmet also come into play, if it's a cheap one, it may crack under force.
I'm a little paranoid about that so I disconnect the airbag even when I'm just doing AutoX. It's only take ~5mins anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by HN7; Dec 5, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HN7
^ Yep, unplug your airbags when wearing helmet @ the track. There's a risk of getting stabbed in the face with the visor when the airbag deployed. Also the added weight may cause you neck injuries when the bag hit you.
I'm a little paranoid about that so I disconnect the airbag even when I'm just doing AutoX. It's only take ~5mins anyway.
ohhh its the visor huh. what if im running no visor tho??
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:08 PM
HN7
Evolving Member

ohhh its the visor huh. what if im running no visor tho??
Run open face helmet if you gonna keep the airbag plug in. No full face, visor or not.

Last edited by HN7; Dec 5, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

well if the airbag still goes off with the sensor unplugged, this kinda brings me back to the original question.

Would air bag go off without seat belt buckled in? if so i can keep it the way it is now.....
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
HN7
Evolving Member

well if the airbag still goes off with the sensor unplugged, this kinda brings me back to the original question.

Would air bag go off without seat belt buckled in? if so i can keep it the way it is now.....
Yes, airbag will deployed when the sensor up front says your car is crashing. The seat belt sensor has nothing to do with the SRS sensors. The passenger side will too; that's why some car has a button to turn the pass airbag off to save you money in case of a crash with no passenger.
Just pull the SRS fuse when you need the airbags off.

I'd advise you to either stay completely stock (OEM seat belt, OEM seat and airbags) or switch over to full aftermarket safety (4 point roll bar, 5 point harness and fixed back seat). Do it all at once. When a crash happen, it's a crap shoot, better to be safe than sorry.

I'm converting my car as well, already installed my harness but I won't be using it until my seat and roll bar is in.

Last edited by HN7; Dec 6, 2011 at 07:15 PM.