Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Starter problems! Please help :/

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Starter problems! Please help :/

Background : about a month ago I replaced my intercooler/licp setup to a buschur. The buschur included a j pipe so I had to take off my starter to access it better. Being a newb I accidentally touched the pipe to the starter and a spark came off, so I disconnected the battery and the rest of the install went fine. Drove around for about a week until I got a tune, no problems at all.

Day of tune: Starter completely failed and I was told to order a new starter. So the shop put the new mitsubishi starter on and it was fine.

After about a week of no problems after the new starter was in, all of a sudden my starter goes out again. Before it goes out, its like the car cranks in slow motion but doesn't actually start and then every other time after that I get absolutely nothing.

Took it to the dealership and they said everything checked out fine and car was randomly cranking and startingfine (good starter, good battery).

Now today: Car has been starting fine until today I go to crank it and same problem happens. Slow motion crank, and then nothing.

Anybody have any ideas on what it could be? Is their a fuse for the starter? Possible loose connection? This is my only car and it is frustrating

Thank you for any advice
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Connection to battery good? Cable nice and tight?
Check connections to starter as well.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Cable is nice and tight connections are good from what I can see. Also my clock light is super dim with the ignition turned on the accessory mode and my stereo doesn't come on
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How old is the battery?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:39 PM

I have had this same problem for about 2 years on mine and haven't had it fixed. It randomly cranks when it wants. Sometimes I gotta sit there and crank it like 10 times for it to do anything and other times at the first crank it starts. Issue was addressed by the dealer 3 years ago and they said it was a loose pin connector behind the fuse box inside the car, that's all they said. Car was fine for a few months and it started again but now I'm outta warranty so I'm debating on taking it back since its something that was an issue before. Hope you get it figured out man keep us posted might help me fix mine on my own
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
How old is the battery?
battery I bought used. I was told it was fairly new. I'm kinda ruling out the battery though, because if it was a bad battery wouldn't the car still crank? and the fact that the dealership checked it out about a week ago and said the battery was good makes me think its not something to do with the battery
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo9rl
I have had this same problem for about 2 years on mine and haven't had it fixed. It randomly cranks when it wants. Sometimes I gotta sit there and crank it like 10 times for it to do anything and other times at the first crank it starts. Issue was addressed by the dealer 3 years ago and they said it was a loose pin connector behind the fuse box inside the car, that's all they said. Car was fine for a few months and it started again but now I'm outta warranty so I'm debating on taking it back since its something that was an issue before. Hope you get it figured out man keep us posted might help me fix mine on my own
Weird. Even if I crank it a zillion times nothing will happen. I have to bump start it to get the engine to turn on.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This happened to me. New starter, new battery. It ended up that the transmission was out of alignment, and it was putting too much pressure on the starter for it to turn.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:18 PM

I had the same issue with my starter slow cranking. It did that for months until it quit cranking period. Only place i could source a replacement one was from a wrecking yard. But even thou its a used starter it cranks alot better now.

Check the stud on the starter solenoid, on my old one it felt loose when i disconnected the power cable and on my replacement it was nice and tight, so i blamed that to be my problem.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:19 AM

Damn these are all possible gotta check mine to see exactly what it is
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks again guys for quick replys. I almost think the starter is not the problem because like I said when the ignition is turned onto accessory mode my clock is dim, cd player doesn't work and just noticed my boost gauge doesn't even power on.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:08 AM

Change the battery. It either has a bad cell or is generally just going bad.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I'll have to see about getting a new mini battery then. Kinda weird though because in the times the car wont turn out is when I go to start my car literally right after turning it off of about 10-15min of driving. Do you think I were to jump start the car I could get enough power to get the starter cranking to turn over the car?

Last edited by evocivicmarc88; Dec 29, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by JayTS
Change the battery. It either has a bad cell or is generally just going bad.
He's right. It could have a bad cell. A battery can have a good volt reading but have weak cranking amps. Thus causing the slow cranking. Check the volts on the battery while cranking and see what you get.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I bet $2.50 on the Battery.

Quick Reply: Starter problems! Please help :/