Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Something blew up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Something blew up

2003 evo 8 24500 miles

Happened this morning off cold start I let the car warm for like 3 minuets then started to leave to go to class. 200 ft up the road 2nd gear 3krpms I hear a loud pop . I instantly shut the car off n pulled over, I look under the hood expecting too see carnage but no everything looked fine I start it again n it sounded like a v8 with huge cams ( vid coming once I go back to the car left it on the road to go to class) I can smell gasoline as if I were swimming in a pool of it also my fuel pressure gauage goes up n down, and when I go to drive its spitting smoke looks more blackish then white, but it's basically a chimmeny when on the throttle at all, and the car dosnt go over 5mph ... So basically I'm screwed I'm 3/4 months new to my evo so I know my basic knowledge but I'm no engine interal or tuning expert. I NEED HELP WITH THIS

Parts on the car / problems with car b4 today

Parts
Ported head hks 264/264 greddy frontmount hks uicp with hks bov recirc arc air box stock 8 turbo spoolin up cop hks evc 22.5psi 84a volume 84b volume I run 10w30 since previous owner did n strickly 93 octane

Problems
P0300 random cylinder misfire but from what I read on the 03 this is a problem code that people just shut off a lot
Also had a huge boost leak on the lower seal of the first injector
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:55 AM

sounds like a big boost leak, maybe blew a coupler off or something. will make car run really rich and rough.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

IC pipes all connected?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it won't go over 5mph it blew off a coupler and the maf isn't reading correct. Check all your IC pipes, they may look connected but pull on them and double check. It could of even blew a hole in one. I had the same thing happen and about **** my pants until I pulled on my upper IC pipe and it was off the TB. The 4G63's are very strong motors and it takes more then that to kill one!!!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

do a test real quick- pull the plug to the MAF sensor on your intake. then drive around and see if it drives better. If it does, then you definitely have a popped hose somewhere. I know that sound! It sucks and its scary.

although, you could have some other damage hence the smoke... but just rule that out first by yanking that maf sensor plug, it puts the car in "limp" mode (didn't know about this when my hose popped off)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As stated above, you probably popped a coupler off.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:49 AM

I'm glad for all the responses so quickly. I am out of class at 1 n I had the car towed to my house so that's the first thing I'll check and I'll let u guys know ASAP thanks everyone
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts
I would check the bov couplers, intercooler couplers. Then make sure to see if the injectors are properly seated.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by brunz44
2003 evo 8 24500 miles

Happened this morning off cold start I let the car warm for like 3 minuets then started to leave to go to class. 200 ft up the road 2nd gear 3krpms I hear a loud pop . I instantly shut the car off n pulled over, I look under the hood expecting too see carnage but no everything looked fine I start it again n it sounded like a v8 with huge cams ( vid coming once I go back to the car left it on the road to go to class) I can smell gasoline as if I were swimming in a pool of it also my fuel pressure gauage goes up n down, and when I go to drive its spitting smoke looks more blackish then white, but it's basically a chimmeny when on the throttle at all, and the car dosnt go over 5mph ... So basically I'm screwed I'm 3/4 months new to my evo so I know my basic knowledge but I'm no engine interal or tuning expert. I NEED HELP WITH THIS

Parts on the car / problems with car b4 today

Parts
Ported head hks 264/264 greddy frontmount hks uicp with hks bov recirc arc air box stock 8 turbo spoolin up cop hks evc 22.5psi 84a volume 84b volume I run 10w30 since previous owner did n strickly 93 octane

Problems
P0300 random cylinder misfire but from what I read on the 03 this is a problem code that people just shut off a lot
Also had a huge boost leak on the lower seal of the first injector
really sounds like a intercooler piping, happend to me a couple of times, sucks man
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm with the other guys. I would check for a boost leak. Since it's a MAF car it will sound like it's missing pretty bad.

Good Luck!

Michael
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
definitely a coupler man, check the licp connection to the j-pipe, cant tell you how many times its happened to me, some t-bolt clamps, hair spray, and cleaning the coupler and bead ends will do the job
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:28 AM

Just got under the hood lookin at all the couplers and the tb elbow was completely off !! Lol I honestly thought I was screwed with the sound off that thing popping off. ����I was getting my self all worked up about it, I'm glad it was just that ! Once again thanks everyone for the responses it's appreciated
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Just got under the hood lookin at all the couplers and the tb elbow was completely off !! Lol I honestly thought I was screwed with the sound off that thing popping off. ����I was getting my self all worked up about it, I'm glad it was just that ! Once again thanks everyone for the responses it's appreciated
Funny, same thing happened to me yesterday on my way to work in my daily driver. I suggest buying a t-bolt clamp for that connection to the throttle body. The factory hose clamp kind of sucks.

Scott
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:32 AM

glad you found it, i wasnt worried for you as it really sounded like a piping problem awesome!!!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by badev0
Funny, same thing happened to me yesterday on my way to work in my daily driver. I suggest buying a t-bolt clamp for that connection to the throttle body. The factory hose clamp kind of sucks.

Scott
t-bolt clamps ftw but get real ones not ebay as the ebay ones will snap, i've had 2 snap on me

a cheap place to get them are on this site

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...at=1726&page=1