Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A/C delete guys chime in

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C delete guys chime in

Ive been debating about taking my A/C out for a couple months now, just waiting on a good enough time to do so. Dont try to come in here and bash me about how hot my car will be in summer.. yes I already know this because I don't use A/C as it is and thats what windows are for..

But my question is with the A/C compressor, and all the lines removed; Will the fan still blow air out if the temp knob is on the cold setting? I dont care if its cold would rather it not be just dont like sitting at a light or in traffic without wind. Yes I have searched and have not found anything either so a/c delete guys let me know!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I deleted my ac a while back, def worth it if you don't use it. More space and just makes the engine bay look cleaner. As far as your question goes I believe it will only blow hot air. I could be wrong haven't tried to use it in the cold setting. I'll check when I get home lol
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by usnevo8
Ive been debating about taking my A/C out for a couple months now, just waiting on a good enough time to do so. Dont try to come in here and bash me about how hot my car will be in summer.. yes I already know this because I don't use A/C as it is and thats what windows are for..

But my question is with the A/C compressor, and all the lines removed; Will the fan still blow air out if the temp knob is on the cold setting? I dont care if its cold would rather it not be just dont like sitting at a light or in traffic without wind. Yes I have searched and have not found anything either so a/c delete guys let me know!

It should still blow, it just wont be refrigerated air. the defrost wont work as efficiently since it uses the a/c compressor to dry the air in the cabin. That is my only complaint and a minor one at that for me. I also never used the a/c in my car and that is why I deleted mine.

Sweating is good for you anyways
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

It's my plan to remove my a/c! I think I used mine once last yr. plus a cleaner engine bay is nice!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just deleted my a/c. I blows slightly colder air then outside. It's like using a indoor fan. You can try it with the a/c still in. Just make sure you don't push the a/c button and you will get the same affect. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

just gonna be screwed if my window motors go lol

Originally Posted by DubsE46
I deleted my ac a while back, def worth it if you don't use it. More space and just makes the engine bay look cleaner. As far as your question goes I believe it will only blow hot air. I could be wrong haven't tried to use it in the cold setting. I'll check when I get home lol
alright, let us know what you figure out..

Originally Posted by TommiM
It should still blow, it just wont be refrigerated air. the defrost wont work as efficiently since it uses the a/c compressor to dry the air in the cabin. That is my only complaint and a minor one at that for me. I also never used the a/c in my car and that is why I deleted mine.

Sweating is good for you anyways
Yes sweating is a plus especially when your trying to impress the ladies

But about the defrost, does it still use the compressor even when the temp knob is on heat? I might run into problems doing this but nothing major because I turn the defrost on 4 to help warm up my car so basically that wouldn't be doing anything for me anymore huh?

Originally Posted by NewEvolutionIX
It's my plan to remove my a/c! I think I used mine once last yr. plus a cleaner engine bay is nice!
thats what Im talking about.. Never using a/c for a cleaner engine bay is def worth it.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Not to highjack the thread, but i don't use the a/c either. But once the temperature is in the three digits you are going to need back up. lol.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bobrick
I just deleted my a/c. I blows slightly colder air then outside. It's like using a indoor fan. You can try it with the a/c still in. Just make sure you don't push the a/c button and you will get the same affect. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks! About how long did it take. Obviously the time difference will be present because so many variables but just trying to plan for a couple hrs vs. a whole day event
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

alright, let us know what you figure out..

Yes sweating is a plus especially when your trying to impress the ladies

But about the defrost, does it still use the compressor even when the temp knob is on heat? I might run into problems doing this but nothing major because I turn the defrost on 4 to help warm up my car so basically that wouldn't be doing anything for me anymore huh?

thats what Im talking about.. Never using a/c for a cleaner engine bay is def worth it.

The way the defroster works is that the compressor comes on to dry the air. This is how it gets rid of the fog in your windshield. WIthout it it wont be very effective. With the temp on heat the compressor does come on, but if you delete it obviously it wont anymore.

You should still have heat, just think of it as not being de-humidified heat, as that is what the compressor does in a sense.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks! About how long did it take. Obviously the time difference will be present because so many variables but just trying to plan for a couple hrs vs. a whole day event
depends on how in depth. You have to suck out the refrigerant which takes a few minutes. If your just pullng the compressor off then it takes maybe an hour. I cant remember if I removed my radiator or not to do it. I actually deleted the compressor, the a/c bracket, the high and low side lines, and the condensor. I also covered up the open lines in the firewall with a plug. That took a few hours only cause I was taking my time and didnt want anything to get scratched as I had a buyer for my a/c parts lined up.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id do it. its not like you cant put it back in. so why not! more power less weight looks better.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
The way the defroster works is that the compressor comes on to dry the air. This is how it gets rid of the fog in your windshield. WIthout it it wont be very effective. With the temp on heat the compressor does come on, but if you delete it obviously it wont anymore.

You should still have heat, just think of it as not being de-humidified heat, as that is what the compressor does in a sense.
Oh okay! and I plan on taking as much out of the engine bay as possible like you said in your post.. No point in keeping some of it if the compressors not there unless you plan to put it back in.

Would having a lift make taking this off any easier?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Like everyone else said it just blows are like if you were using a fan & taking it off is easy. I just used jack stands, lifted the front up & took my front bumper off so I had more room.

The compressor is only 4 bolts, the compressor bracket is 1 bolt I think. I canT remember if I took out my radiator to pull the condenser. The lines are easy to take off as well.

You'll need a smaller accessory belt also, got mine from STM for $40 I believe
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

yea you still have heat or "cool" air on the cold setting. the defroster sucks without a/c but is not completely ineffective. its very hot in the summer especially in a 9 with all black interior. on the bright side the car is lighter, the engine bay is cleaner, and the a/c / defrost does not make the car idle high and awkward with big cams. worth it in my book
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DubsE46
Like everyone else said it just blows are like if you were using a fan & taking it off is easy. I just used jack stands, lifted the front up & took my front bumper off so I had more room.

The compressor is only 4 bolts, the compressor bracket is 1 bolt I think. I canT remember if I took out my radiator to pull the condenser. The lines are easy to take off as well.

You'll need a smaller accessory belt also, got mine from STM for $40 I believe

How hard is to install the accessory belt back on?

Quick Reply: A/C delete guys chime in