Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

where are people putting jackstands? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where are people putting jackstands? ? ?

Well I found a couple of threads but they are OLD and dont have any good info on the subject so I decided to start this thread. Where are people putting their jackstands for jobs like tranny's and tcase's where a lot of room underneath is needed? I heard from a few people that the metal tabs that run down the sideskirts are unreliable and bend sometimes so I wouldn't feel safe putting a jackstand under those if that's the case. Is there any truth to that statement or are those people just being paranoid? Also, if you have pics that would help A LOT. Thanks.

-Ramon
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ramonski
Well I found a couple of threads but they are OLD and dont have any good info on the subject so I decided to start this thread. Where are people putting their jackstands for jobs like tranny's and tcase's where a lot of room underneath is needed? I heard from a few people that the metal tabs that run down the sideskirts are unreliable and bend sometimes so I wouldn't feel safe putting a jackstand under those if that's the case. Is there any truth to that statement or are those people just being paranoid? Also, if you have pics that would help A LOT. Thanks.

-Ramon
I've been putting them on that little runner a few inches behind the side skirt, As far as I knew thats where factory has you place the jack...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:05 PM

I've used the front and rear tow hooks, as well as the pinch welds a few inches behind the side skirts. Tow hooks have been significantly faster since it lifts up both tires at the same time.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

^^^im talking about where to put the jack stands not the jack itself. I use the front and rear towhooks to jack the car up also.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:24 PM

^^^im talking about where to put the jack stands not the jack itself. I use the front and rear towhooks to jack the car up also.
Sorry misunderstood. The pinch welds work fine or you can use the frame where the 2 metals overlap towards the front of the frame, and in the rear you can use those 2 brackets that hang down (sorry if that's vague I just don't know how to describe it haha).
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
pinch welds all day long
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

^^^where are the pinch welds that your talking about?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put them where the control arm bushings are. I hate bending the pinch welds underneathh the side skirts.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by EriCS
I put them where the control arm bushings are. I hate bending the pinch welds underneathh the side skirts.
My pinch welds are bent . Well not the actual spot of the two groves but a little behind them . I was using that section to jack the car and the pinch welds to hold the jack. I'm going to have to figure something else out.

I sometimes used the front tow hook for jacking the car up but thats when I already removed the under body shield cover. As for the actual jack stands, as mentioned earlier I'm going to look into the control arms area or the 2 rails over lapping spot...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

^^^where are the pinch welds that your talking about?
Just inside the side skirts, its not even a 1/4" think comes down a half inch or so, i use little 2-3 ton jacks so they fit and hold perfectly under the pinch weld.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
My pinch welds are bent . Well not the actual spot of the two groves but a little behind them . I was using that section to jack the car and the pinch welds to hold the jack. I'm going to have to figure something else out.
if your careful jacking it up the pinch welds and side skirts will be just fine, they shouldnt bend or do anything out of the ordinary as long as your lifting straight and flat, ive probably lifted my car 50 times in my life and they look as good as they did brand new
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Have always used the pinch welds
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

underneath exactly where the door and fender meet a inch or two away from the side skirts underneath the car
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:00 PM

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../146640_lg.jpg

I use these and put them on like the car is on a lift.....
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

^^^those look like a great idea. I might just have to buy some of those. They look like they would be A LOT sturdier than normal stands

Quick Reply: where are people putting jackstands? ? ?