Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Walbro 400lph info/story

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Walbro 400lph info/story

i haven't come a review or anything for this pump, granted i haven't look, so i figured i would throw this up so everyone could get some insight to this pump.

For starters. this is an amazing pump... Completely different design then the walbro 255LPH or 255LPH high volume. Its absolutely quiet... back in December when modern auto performance was finishing up the last in's and out's of my build they had me setup to run a deatchwerks 300lph pump. Somehow someway they found out those pumps were having wiring issues and recommended that I go with the walbro instead. extra 100lph with the stock pump hanger. I thought sure why not. got my car and began tuning with Aaron from English Racing. Finally got most of the qwerks worked out, and there were a few, and was ready to put down some real power...
Driving to work one morning another car clipped me while turning in an intersection. No real damage. But as we waited for the MP's to arrive my car dies. I start it right back up and its sputters and dies. I thought this was odd but i check the usual suspects fuses spark plugs injectors nothing could get the car to fire. Finally i pull the fuel return line and not a drop of fuel falls.
Immediately I contact the guys up at MAP, they tell me as soon as chris returns to work he will begin a warranty claim with walbro for me. But i couldn't wait. 23 dollars a day for a rental meant i needed a new pump now. So i have them next day a brand new bright and shinny walbro 400lph to my door step. When checking out the pump in there online store this time i notice a disclaimer saying this pump has been reported to fail when used with e85, but i at the time attributed the failure to the minor accident i had moments before the failure occurred so I buy it anyway. Install is smooth since its factory frame for the most part and my hanger had already been modified to fit the new pump. Turn the key and vrooomm. lol. Sheila fires up like the champ she is. Over the next few days I work with Aaron tuning and tweaking the maps. finally feeling comfortable I crank the boost up to 35psi and put down at outstanding 596hp and 525tq. For a single fuel pump this is mind boggling in my book. Everyone I know with more the 500hp runs dual pumps or super secret fuel cells and inline pumps and all kinds of craziness.
Over the next couple days i worked with Aaron to figure out some other issues the car came up with. Today, this morning, I drive home to get ready for work. Come back out to the car and try to start her up. Crank crank crank.. Nothing. After a couple of pops/knock/misfires getting on it last night and on my way to work my immediate thought is the plugs fouled. So i grab my extra set and swap them out. Crank crank crank. Nothing. Check the fuel line and its drop dry. :-(

So in the same form as last time I call up Chris and he gets with Walbro. After a lil back and forth on the phone and email the end result is I'm **** out of luck.
My first pump lasted from Jan 15, 2012 til Mar 6, 2012. Second pump was from Mar 13 at 4pm, til Mar 21, at 745am. 9 Days
Dont get me wrong this isn't a thread to bash the walbro. Its truly is an amazing pump. its even quieter then stock and puts out an incredible amount of fuel. however THEY ARE NOT E85 COMPATIBLE. Thats right the rumors are true they are not e85 compatible. When originally marketed it was not written or expressed the pump was not compatible. I personally researched every part MAP suggested I have installed and even told them a few parts weren't right for the direction i was going. With that i spent several hours trying to find details on this pump and never came across a single blip that it would fail when used with e85.
Walbro is now issuing a statement clearly stating the walbro 400lph is not compatible with most grades of ethanol and they will not support any warranty failure claim do to the use of ethanol.

I have no ill will toward walbro, when i ran their 255lph HP it worked flawlessly. I made great power for basically stock and never had a fuel issue. My only real gripe is that they don't stand behind their error in not clearly marketing the fuel pump for gasoline only. If you make a mistake, take the hit, have some testicular fortitude to own up to it and recover from it.

I would like to say how grateful I am to Chris and the guys at MAP for their outstanding customer service and continued tech support. I have never encountered anything quite like it.
I would also like to say thanks to Aaron at ER for his incredible amount patients and self control when having to deal with the 1000 emails i send him every weekend and for his amazing tuning ability. If he isn't the best tuner out there then whomever is, is a god when it comes to ECUFLASH. I highly recommend anyone considering having their car tuned at least contact ER. Fair pricing and unmatched service.

thanks for reading... I'm pretty certain its not quite what you were expecting it to be.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice read! I will keep this is mind

THank you
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

put
" Putting walboro fuel pump in an E85 ran evo, breaks everytime " in the modification regrets thread
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately for me this really really sucks haha.. I'm looking for just over or around 500awhp and didn't want to spend the 5-600 on a double pumper setup.. $145 was a lot better.

I just purchased the pump a week ago and haven't had a chance to install and tune everything on E-85 and speed density.

Looks like I'm going to have to sell it and use something else.. Damn, why do things have to be to good to be true!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

for added credibility... not that anyone has tried to argue or anything yet. Chris had the site updated just after we got off the phone this morning.

http://www.maperformance.com/maperfo...wal400mod.html

here's the link
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gsxtremedsm
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately for me this really really sucks haha.. I'm looking for just over or around 500awhp and didn't want to spend the 5-600 on a double pumper setup.. $145 was a lot better.

I just purchased the pump a week ago and haven't had a chance to install and tune everything on E-85 and speed density.

Looks like I'm going to have to sell it and use something else.. Damn, why do things have to be to good to be true!
to be honest with you. i see absolutely no reason why the pump wouldnt make it to that level on pump gas...

and from what i here the e85 version of the 400 will be released at the end of april... if you can hold off it will be in your favor.

like i said i have no problem with walbro as a product. sure glad i dont have to deal with their customer service dept though. I'm actually planning to park my super car paperweight until its released. well unless **** gets to tight with one car and me and the wife having to be at work at the same time across town from one another... :-(
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
to be honest with you. i see absolutely no reason why the pump wouldnt make it to that level on pump gas...

and from what i here the e85 version of the 400 will be released at the end of april... if you can hold off it will be in your favor.

like i said i have no problem with walbro as a product. sure glad i dont have to deal with their customer service dept though. I'm actually planning to park my super car paperweight until its released. well unless **** gets to tight with one car and me and the wife having to be at work at the same time across town from one another... :-(
Do you have any info on the e85 Wally 400?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Not at the moment... Chris at MAP was the middle man between walbro and I... All he told me is that they are in development and that they should be released at the end of April
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
Not at the moment... Chris at MAP was the middle man between walbro and I... All he told me is that they are in development and that they should be released at the end of April
Thank you. I spent all night searching online and couldnt find any info from Walbro. Just rumors. This pump is supposed to be a 460lph pump and released in April/May. If MAP said its true I'm a believer
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

bump to spread the word...

STM actually messaged me arguing that the pump is compatible... well argued isn't right... chose to disagree i guess.

how ever Walbro feels differently
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought mine from STM about a month or 2 ago, ive put around 500 miles on it so far. Not a sign of a issue. I hear Walbro is coming out with a revised design in June
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Not something I want to confirm for sure.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly makes it incompatible with e85?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

will this 400lph pump fit my EVO VI (CP9A)....?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Walbro them selves say that the pump in not compatible with E-85. I think they say that about the 255's too. We have not had one issue with either and have several cars running them. I am not saying they will work forever but we have two close customers of ours running these pumps maxed out (580 whp on our dyno) for almost a year now with no issues.

-Em

Quick Reply: Walbro 400lph info/story