Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Under Hood and Shifter Base Bushing questions?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
underhood busings i felt absolutely no difference. shifter base bushings there was a difference

either way, the new engine/transmission mounts are definitely what are transfering that noise into the cabin, not the shifter bushings (at least not a noticeable amount)
Old May 7, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by reboundicon
Never noticed any major whines previous to the install, but like I mentioned previously I did do solid motor mounts on the same day (front engine, cam side and tranny mount) which could be the actual cause of the increased whine in 1st-3rd gears.
this is a case of LACK of information.
u stated you got whine from installing underhood and base bushings. then when confronted you then say you installed stiffer mounts as well...
its pretty obvious that the bushings would not cause significant vibrations if any at all.
the vibrations are from the stiff motor mounts. the whine u hear is most likely from the stiff mounts. its not "could" it IS the cause
i had race mounts on my race car and i can hear feel everything the tranny/engine is doing. it wasnt an evo just fyi.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I felt less notchiness driving to work this morning with the underhood bushings.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I certainly felt a difference with just underhood bushings.... that's all I'm running until I install the rest this weekend (is the plan)
Old May 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok, just an update cause I said I would.
Installed shifter base bushings.... no noise.. exactly the same.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also did my shifter base bushings today and the shifter console seems a lot more firm and grounded. Everything overall feels much tighter, almost as if the car was brand new as rolling through the gears is much more precise and feels more firm shifting through the gears.

I think the set up with be finished off with a heavier shift knob for the perfect shifts. I am currently using an ARC shift knob and although it feels good, it just doesn't hit the gears as hard as the old 1lb knobs I used to own on my GSX.

Thanks again for all the advice guys, I got a nice massage chair with tighter precise shifts now :P
Old May 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Gotta bring this back for a second for the Torque Solution Base Bushings

They form a sandwich correct? So 4 are placed with the small side facing up toward the roof, then the cage goes on top of those, and then the 4 remaining ones are placed on the top of the cage face with the small side down toward the floor?
Old May 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Gotta bring this back for a second for the Torque Solution Base Bushings

They form a sandwich correct? So 4 are placed with the small side facing up toward the roof, then the cage goes on top of those, and then the 4 remaining ones are placed on the top of the cage face with the small side down toward the floor?
Yes that is correct, they should kind of snap/fit into place with the plastic cage as there is room for the small side to line up with the plastic. It should look like this quick photochop I did.

Takes about 30 minutes to do, the toughest part is removing the darn kick panels to get the center console out.

Good luck!
Old May 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

You're the man, thank you!
Old May 15, 2012, 01:19 PM

no problems, but i used buschur bushings.. prob no diff ..
Old May 15, 2012, 08:16 PM

for the torque solution underhood bushings your not suppose to reuse the washer.The large bushing made of aluminum painted black controls the sideways(horizontal) motion of the shifter.the small bushing made of derlin controls the up and down(vertical) motion of the shifter.I was also worried about this noise NVH when i did this a couple months back.i also read this from Works Hybrid shifter bushings claiming hardened shifter bushings caused premature transmission wear because increased vibration tranlated to the gears and caused wear..........

"The WORKS Hybrid (polyurethane/steel) Shifter Cable Bushings provide increased ease and precision during shifting without the increased wear on internal transmission components.

With the run-of-the-mill bushings, you either have urethane pieces that can’t be accurately machined and in constant need of lubrication—both of which lead to increased effort (and noise)—or solid metal components that can lead to premature deterioration of finicky (and pricey) transmission synchros, hubs, gears, etc… WORKS Engineers have carried over the same successful thought process used in our WRP Urethane Suspension Bushings to provide an exact fitment with a transmission-friendly application.

The WORKS Bushings consist of a medical-grade urethane compound with minimal porosity and high durability. Its durometer (hardness) rating is soft enough to absorb vibrations and shock while firm enough to take out the spongy feel associated with the OEM rubber parts. To prevent binding and ensure an exact fitment to the transmission’s shifter mechanism, metal sleeves are inserted into the bushings themselves.

Additionally, these sleeves have undergone an electroless nickel plating process that resists corrosion, provides lubricating properties and exhibits non-galling characteristics. These unique features give the WORKS Shifter Cable Bushing an exceptional, worry-free lifespan with a dramatic improvement to performance and feel"

so i decided to reinstall my stock ones and plan on buying the works hybrid bushings .but i missed how much better it felt so i just installed the small up and down vertical motion bushing and left the other bushing sideways motion alone and i can say i really like it this way and that increased NVH i was worried about went away pretty much i hope.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:20 PM

I didn't use the OEM washers when I put in the bushings. (Torque solutions)
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My TS bushings were a black hard plastic material not metal painted black like stated above. Also did not use the washers. I can tell the difference with just the under hood bushings. I put the C clip part facing out from the transmission. Install was like 5 min with my mini battery not in the way.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
the underhood bushings from TS are hard plastic, but the shifter base bushings should be aluminum
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

I have the buschur underhood bushings with the torque solutions short shifter and base bushings. Shifts great and no extra noise for me. I didn't reuse the washers for the underhood bushings. Great mod though I let me friend who also owns an evo drive my car and his has stock shifter components and he's hooked and wants to get the same setup that I have.

Quick Reply: Under Hood and Shifter Base Bushing questions?