Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Under Hood and Shifter Base Bushing questions?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Under Hood and Shifter Base Bushing questions?

Hey Guys,

I just installed my underhood shifter base bushings today and had a few questions.

1. Did everyone use the stock washers from the OEM bushings when putting on the aftermarket underhood shifter bushings? I used the stock washers and the fitment was extremely tight, but I got it on.

2. Did everyone notice a fairly big increase in transmission whine after installing the underhood shifter bushings when driving? I read on a lot of forums for other vehicles that this is common due to the harder bushings distributing the transmission noise in the cabin.

3. For the shifter base bushings I see that there are 4 to change in this tutorial.

http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/shif...ebushings.html

For some reason my package came with 8 base bushings from torque solutions. Is this tutorial missing the install for the other 4 or something or are there only 4 to replace?

4. Did anyone end up going back to OEM due to any issues with the aftermarket bushings?

Any info on this would be great thanks!

Old May 5, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't get any whine when I installed my underwood bushings (with oem washers). Check to make sure you have the bushings in correctly. The base bushing set includes 8 half-bushings; one on the top and bottom of each of the four bolt holes on the shifter base.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djdnav
I didn't get any whine when I installed my underwood bushings (with oem washers). Check to make sure you have the bushings in correctly. The base bushing set includes 8 half-bushings; one on the top and bottom of each of the four bolt holes on the shifter base.
Ah ok that clears some things up for the base bushings, so they just sandwich the bolt holes on the shifter base.

In terms of the whine, I know it isn't my t-case, because it wasn't making any kind of sound before I installed the underhood shifter bushings and my t-case is in great shape (as I check it regularly). It seems like other cars are having the same whine sound after the underhood bushings are installed. Here is a vid that is similar to what I'm experiencing after the underhood shifter bushing install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPvm6MStntc
Old May 5, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I got all torque solution bushings too... Haven't installed the shifter base yet... but for underhood, I did use the washer and yes mine were very tight as well, but I got it on.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thats the first i heard about the underhood bushing causing that kind of sound. i cant confirm this as i did shifter base, under hood and driveline bushing at the same time. I sometimes have that sound but i suspect it to be the delrin driveline inserts.
Old May 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I've got the same torque solutions bushing in my Evo9 and i have noticed a slight increase in drivetrain noise. Not on acceleration but when using the gearbox to slow the car down I can hear a bit of a whine. I have always had a bit of noise, think most evo's do, but it's slightly louder now.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Works/ Kartboy underhood shifter bushings and their shifter base bushings. I also did reuse the oem spacers for the underhood shifter bushings.

I didnt get any noticeable whine when I did mine and I dont see how they can cause it.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I only got whining after diff carrier bushings. The whine in the vid doesn't sound too good. Perhaps they were installed incorrectly?
Old May 6, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I should be installing mine next weekend (shifter base)... I'll report back. Torque solutions on both.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You shouldn't have to re-use the OEM washers when removing the stock bushings on the linkage cables, these pieces are designed to function without them. When installing the linkage bushings you should use some lithium grease to avoid seizures, etc.

If you find the bushings are a tight fit, take some course sand paper to them to help loosen things up a bit. The base bushings are pretty obvious, tighten them down and be sure to inspect your shifter to make sure it's properly lubricated before putting everything back together.

You should not be experiencing any whine or cabin noise from installing these two items. I've done it on three different lancers, 2 of them being the **** box EVO. If you're getting a whining noise as loud as the one in the video posted then you have bigger problems than these two installations. These are elementary at best.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input guys, I know all evos have a slight whine in earlier gears like 1st and 2nd and I've always been used to that. After I installed the underhood bushings and rolled through the gears I noticed they were much tighter and less slack between all the gears. It just feels more solid since the old bushings were so soft. I did notice that as a result of this much of the vibration is transferred from the harder bushings into the cabin that was not there before from the transmission. I guess this is why they installed the soft bushings from the factory for comfort and noise.

I'd also like to note I installed Torque Solutions front engine, cam side and transmission mounts at the same time, which could have also been the cause of the whine. It's not as loud as the video, but I do notice it more. It could also be due to the heightened level of alertness we get when we install new mods on our cars :/
Old May 6, 2012, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
You shouldn't have to re-use the OEM washers when removing the stock bushings on the linkage cables, these pieces are designed to function without them. When installing the linkage bushings you should use some lithium grease to avoid seizures, etc.

If you find the bushings are a tight fit, take some course sand paper to them to help loosen things up a bit. The base bushings are pretty obvious, tighten them down and be sure to inspect your shifter to make sure it's properly lubricated before putting everything back together.

You should not be experiencing any whine or cabin noise from installing these two items. I've done it on three different lancers, 2 of them being the **** box EVO. If you're getting a whining noise as loud as the one in the video posted then you have bigger problems than these two installations. These are elementary at best.
Never noticed any major whines previous to the install, but like I mentioned previously I did do solid motor mounts on the same day (front engine, cam side and tranny mount) which could be the actual cause of the increased whine in 1st-3rd gears.

I grinded the washers down so they fit with the bushings, as I thought you were supposed to reuse them. I got it all to fit, but would you suggest removing the washers now or will it make much of a difference if any?
Old May 6, 2012, 10:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by reboundicon
Never noticed any major whines previous to the install, but like I mentioned previously I did do solid motor mounts on the same day (front engine, cam side and tranny mount) which could be the actual cause of the increased whine in 1st-3rd gears.

I grinded the washers down so they fit with the bushings, as I thought you were supposed to reuse them. I got it all to fit, but would you suggest removing the washers now or will it make much of a difference if any?
The whine would certainly come from those stiffer mounts you installed, not a big deal, just a side effect of having a stiffer material that will transfer more vibrations and noise to the cabin. I would go ahead and remove the washers, I can't say if they would do any harm by staying installed, but it is advised to discard them when you install these aftermarket bushings.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
The whine would certainly come from those stiffer mounts you installed, not a big deal, just a side effect of having a stiffer material that will transfer more vibrations and noise to the cabin. I would go ahead and remove the washers, I can't say if they would do any harm by staying installed, but it is advised to discard them when you install these aftermarket bushings.
Thanks for the heads up Ramen! I figured the mounts would cause rattles and didn't realize they would transfer the transmission whines into the cabin as well (which is why I thought it was the bushings). Not a big deal for me since I do drive an RS already, and does make me feel better.

As for the bushings, I'll drive around with the washers on for a bit (I grinded them down until they were paper thin) and see if they are causing any weird shifting issues. It's just such a pain to take them off again since I'll have to remove the battery, tray etc. again.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed the works underhood bushings, very easy I didn't need any sandpaper. I did use the original washers like the instructions stated. I drove around and honestly she feels the same.

Quick Reply: Under Hood and Shifter Base Bushing questions?