Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

check engine flashing

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is my mbc and to be honest im kind of scared to up or down the boost thats why i want some local builders or my dads friend whos a mechanic to do it the last thing i want is to allow more boost run lean and then yea..

Name:  8dc2b0ea.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  70.5 KB
Old May 7, 2012, 06:17 AM

i had the same thing.... check for a boost leak
Old May 7, 2012, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Heezayx
i had the same thing.... check for a boost leak
Will that really cause me to make more boost though i dont get it??
Old May 7, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
lol at the people that are telling him to get tuned
you guys dont even know what the knock count is or where hes getting it
Joe that's because he obviously now needs a new engine.

Originally Posted by uhhhson
Pretty sure if your getting knock any range or any count to make your light blink it's a bad thing and maybe it should be tuned out retard
I'm pretty sure that your not pretty sure.
For instance, the light blinking is set by what ever you want x amount of knock counts... so it can be 1 or 10... and there are two different types of knock settings hard and soft in addition to.
Most stock tunes can and will give you knock anywhere from 0-3 counts in my experience, even as much as 5 depending (I've seen this reving in neutral before). But that maybe the difference low rpm or full blown WOT will make a difference in safety.

This is a highly debated topic, and I personally believe it is true that 0 is best for safety but a few counts is most likely not the end of the world. People believe that because you're stock tune gives you knock that it is 'unsafe' from factory. BULL****... do you really believe the people who designed and tune your OEM vehicle wouldn't have any margin of satety for products they produce which they will have to pay warranty for? Absolutely not, that is way too risky especially on something like an engine which warranted would each up profit margins of multiple sold vehicles.

The truth is, the OE has tuned your knock sensor, and they have tuned your ECU, they understand the threshold of knock very well, way better than anyone in the aftermarket... and it could be that maybe 5 or above is actually the concern, but you'll never know that, meaning... maybe to Mits... 5 counts is really 0. (just an example)
Old May 7, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^this
thanks for elaborating, i obviously dont care too cause its just a waste of time anymore on this forum
Old May 7, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Updated i lowered the boost some pounds and did 2nd and 3rd gear pulls no knock sensor and car a/f is 11.5 on WOT
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
no the gauge reads boost i think its off a bit though take a look where it sits, im reading about 24lbs of boost with the gauge like that when im tuned for a solid 23 lbs. so yes the gauge works it properly i just think its a little off on boost. im looking to go to 19 or 20 to be safe i dont track the car and im not a show off so ill see how it goes
Attachment 283115
i know this is a super old thread, but since no one corrected your statement, I feel the need to elaborate on your problem for future reference.

When the needle sits below zero that doesn't mean that the calibration is off. It just means that at idle you are in vacuum. My STi sat at -20 vacuum.
A good guage will read both vacuum & Boost. Crappy guages like GlowShift, only read +PSI. It doesnt mean that they dont work, just means they aren't as accurate. It definitely DOES NOT mean that the guage is reading 2psi too high if it sits at -2 vacuum.
Also, my Evo 8 was tuned by English Racing, who we can all agree knows what they're doing. I see CEL flashes all the time at WOT. Some times @5500 RPMS. All this is telling me is that I am seeing the Knock Count that the ECU is programmed to warn me about. Quick flashes are low KC, & solid/longer flashes are higher more serious KC.
Even if the OP was over boosting by 2psi, he wouldn't/shouldn't see serious Knock. I'm not 100% but I believe the ECU will pull timing if it does. But don't quote me on that.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by WelDun1
I see CEL flashes all the time at WOT. Some times @5500 RPMS.
I'm no expert at this but that doesn't seem right...