Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

check engine flashing

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine flashing

every so often on WOT pulls my check engine light will blink, im guessing its sensing a count of knock, is it bad if you motor knocks every so often??
Old May 6, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Yes it is, go get tuned.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:48 AM

you have knock so yea get it tuned asap
Old May 6, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-93octane.html

thats the previous tune and thats what the car still has i dont know why it would do this
Old May 6, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well before you beat anymore on the car I would get that check engine light checked. Get a actron pocket scanner its only $40 bucks to see what message the car is trying to give you. Remember in tuning feedback is very important to the driver in letting the car know how well is it going along.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Flashing cel is a feature of Tephra ecu mods (clicky clicky) that indicates you are getting knock. Slow flash indicates low knock, fast flash indicates high knock.

I would do a log to find out exactly how much knock you are getting and get in touch with the tuner to see what the parameters (knock count required) for the cel flash are.

Post back when you find out.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

I think i found my problem i think im overboosting by a few pounds im tuned for 23 lbs im pretty sure im 2 lbs over im getting my boost turned down tomorrow
Old May 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of boost control?
Old May 6, 2012, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Send him (tuner) a pm. Im sure he will help you out.

Ofcourse knock isnt good.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol at the people that are telling him to get tuned
you guys dont even know what the knock count is or where hes getting it
Old May 6, 2012, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
What kind of boost control?
its a mbc but its a cheap one im pretty sure. im pretty sure im over boosting bc my gauge sits below 0 from the get go so its all making sense to me now.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Flashing cel is a feature of Tephra ecu mods (clicky clicky) that indicates you are getting knock. Slow flash indicates low knock, fast flash indicates high knock.

I would do a log to find out exactly how much knock you are getting and get in touch with the tuner to see what the parameters (knock count required) for the cel flash are.

Post back when you find out.
I just did this to my evo x and it blinked slow a few times at WOT, need to do some logs to see what's going on, and you should do the same.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:07 PM

Pretty sure if your getting knock any range or any count to make your light blink it's a bad thing and maybe it should be tuned out retard
Old May 6, 2012, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
its a mbc but its a cheap one im pretty sure. im pretty sure im over boosting bc my gauge sits below 0 from the get go so its all making sense to me now.
when you mean your gauge sits below 0 from the get go, meaning when you boost wot the gauge dont move???, if thats the case then I would trace the vacuum line for the boost gauge and see if it popped off. If so then your getting a huge vacuum leak which might be contributing to your knock your experiencing. Check that first, as well as all your other vacuum lines. Go from there. Theres not many things that can cause knock, if it wasnt there before. If vacuum lines are ok, try turning your boost controller counter clockwise a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, sometimes cold ambient temps can cause you to overboost. Thats why I swapped my dejon tool mbc, to a 3 port. That way the ecu has control of it, and can get around that kind of situations.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
when you mean your gauge sits below 0 from the get go, meaning when you boost wot the gauge dont move???, if thats the case then I would trace the vacuum line for the boost gauge and see if it popped off. If so then your getting a huge vacuum leak which might be contributing to your knock your experiencing. Check that first, as well as all your other vacuum lines. Go from there. Theres not many things that can cause knock, if it wasnt there before. If vacuum lines are ok, try turning your boost controller counter clockwise a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, sometimes cold ambient temps can cause you to overboost. Thats why I swapped my dejon tool mbc, to a 3 port. That way the ecu has control of it, and can get around that kind of situations.
no the gauge reads boost i think its off a bit though take a look where it sits, im reading about 24lbs of boost with the gauge like that when im tuned for a solid 23 lbs. so yes the gauge works it properly i just think its a little off on boost. im looking to go to 19 or 20 to be safe i dont track the car and im not a show off so ill see how it goes

Name:  5bf66eab.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  94.9 KB

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; May 7, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply: check engine flashing