Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Air in fuel rail?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air in fuel rail?

Hi all, I am revamping my fuel system currently and have run into an issue. I installed a walbro 400 with the STM rewire kit and a STM return kit. I believe I have trapped air in the fuel rail and I dont really know how to get it out. The car fires like it wants to start but then dies. I didnt see a shratter valve on the rail. The line leaving the fuel rail and heading to the Fuel Lab regulator is shaped like a U due to how I routed it and the 45 deg and straight AN fittings I got with the return kit, so its going to be tough to raise that up with out cracking the fittings and introducing more air after its bled.

I dont think you can run the regulator in the reverse direction due to the fittings that are supplied with the kit. I am running the AN line to the side of the regulator and the rubber line out of the bottom to the metal line that runs along the fuel rail.

Has anyone else run into this? I cranked the car over for a while let it sit cracked again and repeated. It didnt seem to help anything.I tried switching back to my 255 but that didnt really do anything either. The car previously ran for short periods of time with the 400 but not the rewire and return kit. I thought it was over running my stock fuel pressure regulator and stalling out.

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. I guess Ill try calling STM as well.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you just want to pressurize your system, pull the engine fuse and crank the car a few times. IIRC though, your fuel pump should come on when you turn the key to the "on" position. This should pressurize the system as well.

But in reading your post, it sounds to me like you either have the re-wire wired in wrong, or the FPR is connected wrong. I'm leaning towards the wiring kit being wired incorrectly.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A fuel rail/lines will always get air in it when doing fuel system work (injectors, pump, etc.) and doesn't cause a problem. There's another problem you need to track down. As mentioned above, look over your rewire job.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

I re check the wiring, but I can hear the pump priming....
Is it possible to run the pump backwards? Like the red and black extension wires being on the wrong terminals? I put red to + and black to -. If the relay was wired wrong I think it would short out when the coil was energized or wouldnt kick prime at all.

Doesnt seem like the rail holds pressure either. almost like I have a leak somewhere. I dont have fuel spraying out on the floor anywhere. I pressed the pump into the tank hat and the rubber adaptor fits on the nozzel pretty tight. But being a slip fit seems kind of funny to me.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Another thing I dont hear my pump prime till I turn the key to "start" after I am done cranking it runs a little longer then shuts off. Maybe this is my wiring.

Ill have to check it after I get out of work. Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshthree6three
Another thing I dont hear my pump prime till I turn the key to "start" after I am done cranking it runs a little longer then shuts off. Maybe this is my wiring.

Ill have to check it after I get out of work. Thanks!
It wont prime till you crank it , take the fuel inlet pipe off the rail put it in a plastic bottle or similar and crank the eng over a turn or 2 if you have fuel there its the way the reg is piped or you need to adjust the regulator , is there a guage on the fuel reg ???

Last edited by todd6027; Jun 4, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yea a liquid filled one that I have connected, I'm working by myself so I can't see it to know what pressure it's priming at. I know it reads zero when cranking stops. So I know the rail doesn't hold pressure which seems weird as well since the regulator should hold some pressure in the rail