Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Jacking points on Evo VII

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Jacking points on Evo VII

Hi guys, loooooooong time lurker, first time poster.

Trust me when I say I have searched high and low for an answer to this.

I have an Evo VII, and I am trying to jack my car up so I can take the wheels off and re-spray my callipers. Foolishly, to date (thank god for having a good quality jack) I haven't used stands for any of my underbody work (limited though it may be.)

I recently bought the stands pictured in the attachment. The style was the only style available (the sort of v/u part where stand meets car).

I dont know where to put them on my car as the recommended jacking points for stands according to the workshop manual is where the welded sill is along the side skirts (the blue scribble in the second picture). Should I be using the red circled area?

Please help, I'm wracking my brain and I've been searching the net for hours.

thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Jacking points on Evo VII-dsc_0106.jpg   Jacking points on Evo VII-dsc_0108.jpg  
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll bend the panel if you jack from the red area. I have a coilovers install DIY In the evo 8/9 how to section with jacking instructions.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

yeah do not put it in the red area as you will mess it up. I wish all cars had jacking pucks like my old corvette
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
i still don't trust pinch welds, everywhere says something different about jack stands on them

you'd think if you were meant to put stands there, someone would make a jack stand with a channel in it like it should be (3" long piece, .5" wide channel, ~1" deep)

i put stands under the large rails up front where they double over (there's a bolt), and under the forward portion of the rear LCA's where they bolt to the chassis
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
last time i bent one of the pinch weld halves with my stands, not much damage but still unhappy about it

can't believe there's no definitive answer anywhere, my guess is that the chiseled hockey puck thing might help
Old Jun 7, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

^, but there aren't any good stands to put it on to hold it securely
Old Jun 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

can't wait till this is another dead thread that Google spits out on the subject of the very first step of modding the most moddable car

all the tuner bros tend to keep quiet about this, probably because some minor damage is inevitable

sorry just frustrated that I'm wasting time and money on the very basics
Old Jun 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=llDemonll;10208929
i put stands under the large rails up front where they double over (there's a bolt), and under the forward portion of the rear LCA's where they bolt to the chassis[/quote]

^^^ That ! Also, I will jack the front right on the front subframe where the control arm mounts, its beefy and allows the clearance the place the jackstands under the heavy chassis rails.. Some jacks might not get under far enough...

For doing just rim swaps or something that requires front and rear tire removal, You can position the jack under the heavier chassis rail further back and jack the complete side of the car Nascar style and if you position the jack just right.. you can get 3 wheels off the ground in one shot..
Old Jun 7, 2012, 02:43 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djdnav
You'll bend the panel if you jack from the red area. I have a coilovers install DIY In the evo 8/9 how to section with jacking instructions.
Nice:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tallation.html
Old Jun 7, 2012, 03:43 PM

First of all just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help. I'll check out that guide an see what I come up with!

*edit* I checked out the tutorial and I can see where the stands were put but aren't those the stands that accomodate for pinch welds? I don't have that. did I wasted $90 on my stands?

Last edited by evoVIImoneypit; Jun 7, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mcm308
^^^ That ! Also, I will jack the front right on the front subframe where the control arm mounts, its beefy and allows the clearance the place the jackstands under the heavy chassis rails.. Some jacks might not get under far enough...

For doing just rim swaps or something that requires front and rear tire removal, You can position the jack under the heavier chassis rail further back and jack the complete side of the car Nascar style and if you position the jack just right.. you can get 3 wheels off the ground in one shot..
I would not do this. those are not frame rails like they look and i don't believe are designed to hold that much weight

Jack from the front point just behind the tow hook (little flat place) and from the bottom of the rear diff (both of these locations can be seen above and are self-explanatory). Don't jack from the pinch welds unless you have a pinch weld jack or an adapter

These are where I place stands: (i've since graduated from cardboard pads to much more durable rubber ones. use something, cardboard at least, metal to metal will wear the weatherproofing off the car)
Front:
Jacking points on Evo VII-xzkw6l.jpg

Rear:
Jacking points on Evo VII-ibmu5l.jpg

Those big orange jack stands are the "correct" ones for pinch welds, but as you can see they touch the chassis about 2" away from the pinch weld, something i'm not comfortable with. I'd rather the pinch weld supported the weight in a device like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...ldadapter2.jpg

Last edited by llDemonll; Jun 7, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 04:06 PM

Oh wow thanks!! I'll have a look when I get home from work tonight and check against your photos.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by llDemonll
I would not do this. those are not frame rails like they look and i don't believe are designed to hold that much weight

Jack from the front point just behind the tow hook (little flat place) and from the bottom of the rear diff (both of these locations can be seen above and are self-explanatory). Don't jack from the pinch welds unless you have a pinch weld jack or an adapter

These are where I place stands: (i've since graduated from cardboard pads to much more durable rubber ones. use something, cardboard at least, metal to metal will wear the weatherproofing off the car)
Front:

Rear:

Those big orange jack stands are the "correct" ones for pinch welds, but as you can see they touch the chassis about 2" away from the pinch weld, something i'm not comfortable with. I'd rather the pinch weld supported the weight in a device like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...ldadapter2.jpg
Where your stand is on the front is as about as far back as I go with the jack where it's still thick. Yea, don't go back to the middle of the car..You can get both front and rear up one side using the jack on that spot. I spent a good hour or so playing with the jack under the car putting a load on it to see where it can be grabbed from safely without anything bending. I stay away from pinch welds
Old Jun 7, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

ohhhh ****, some wisdom

someone ought to preserve this somewhere safe

you have no idea how many horrible "ya whatevs just lift it you *** lol" threads I've been through
Old Jun 7, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey
I've got the same jackstands as you (supercheap, i only paid $19 per pair on special ) For the rear I just place the stand under the rear control arm where it meets the chassis, the bow section of the stand cradels the section perfectly. The front is a bit more difficult. I was jacking from the rear front chassis brace attachment point ( with the brace removed) and putting the jackstand under the front one ( on the bolt itself). This works fine but when I went to remove the front brace I had to file the bolt heads as I had burred them a bit. I was thinking of making a hardwood block up with a groove to go over the frame rail bit so it doesn't bend ( hocking puck style?). Don't think there is a perfect answer to this question.

Quick Reply: Jacking points on Evo VII