Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What metal is the buschur intercoolers made from?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What metal is the buschur intercoolers made from?

I bought a buschur intercooler off someone and the outlet somehow got crushed in shipping. I'm not to pissed cause I payed super cheap price on it. I need to know what I need to buy to replace this end piece and what metal. I tried straightening it out, but it looks like I will have to cut it off.

Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's aluminum.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thank god its not stainless. Whew that **** is hard to find in small lengths
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Head down to a local metal supplier and ask to see their scrap bins. I've had friends get like 2 foot lengths of material for super cheap because it's "scrap"
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by korizmo
Thank god its not stainless. Whew that **** is hard to find in small lengths
Im sure you could ship it out to Buschur Racing and have them repair that for you.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Well I ordered a 5in piece of aluminum/2mm thick with the lip off eBay for 9.99shipped. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Never though about sending it back to buschur, but shipping a heavy *** inter cooler would cost like 35 dollars via ups haha

Oh btw this them was shipped to me by usps. They continue to prove that they are horrible.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
When you cut the inlet/outlet off be careful not to get any aluminum shavings in the actual intercooler core it self. The first thing that will happen during start up is a ton of metal shavings will be heading towards your intake manifold / motor. Quick way to replace a motor. Since the tank is on the intercooler, make sure to be aware of drop through. You can't really debur the intercooler without risking shavings in the core. If you have a shop vac or leaf blower that you can blow air through the other side of the core i would highly suggest it.

Good Luck!

Michael
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by korizmo
Well I ordered a 5in piece of aluminum/2mm thick with the lip off eBay for 9.99shipped. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Never though about sending it back to buschur, but shipping a heavy *** inter cooler would cost like 35 dollars via ups haha

Oh btw this them was shipped to me by usps. They continue to prove that they are horrible.
Then they wonder why theyre losing so much business and having to close post offices. I see you already bought the piping, I wouldve gone down to a local muffler shop to see if they could put an expander in and make it round and the right size again.

Where in FL are you man, just noticed?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
When you cut the inlet/outlet off be careful not to get any aluminum shavings in the actual intercooler core it self. The first thing that will happen during start up is a ton of metal shavings will be heading towards your intake manifold / motor. Quick way to replace a motor.
Aluminum is soft and rings, valves and cylinder walls are hard. So, while I too would try to be as clean about it as possible, I doubt some aluminum dust going through the intake would cause harm.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Aluminum is soft and rings, valves and cylinder walls are hard. So, while I too would try to be as clean about it as possible, I doubt some aluminum dust going through the intake would cause harm.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barneyb
Do you use the sand through a running engine method to port the intake, head, and exhaust too?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
Do you use the sand through a running engine method to port the intake, head, and exhaust too?
Well, run the stock OEM air filter in the stock filter box. It gets dirty because it catches a lot if the stuff that is in the air. A lot of the stuff is never all. The particles it doesn't catch (including sand) go through the engine. Now, take an aftermarket filter that allows the engine to produce more horsepower. These work by passing more air and often times more dirt (including sand). Ever heard of a product for cleaning the mass air sensor? How does it get dirty? Sand made of quartz is harder than steel. What we are talking about here is a particle or two of aluminum.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jspecteggy
Then they wonder why theyre losing so much business and having to close post offices. I see you already bought the piping, I wouldve gone down to a local muffler shop to see if they could put an expander in and make it round and the right size again.

Where in FL are you man, just noticed?

I'm in ft Walton beach. Wish I was stationed in Orlando at Patrick afb
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
What do I know anyways.. LOL! I remember a similar post in the VW Community that went viral haha.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
What do I know anyways.. LOL! I remember a similar post in the VW Community that went viral haha.
My comment wasn't directed at you. That was directed to the person that thinks it's not big deal for some aluminum shavings to go through your engine. I am glad that you got the reference though. That thread was epic fail/win depending on how you look at it.

Last edited by evo 9 guy; Jun 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: What metal is the buschur intercoolers made from?