Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help with timing belt, turbo and fuel injectors.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with timing belt, turbo and fuel injectors.

Ok, so i just bought a 05 Evo8 a couple weeks ago. I had a mechanic buddy with me while we were test driving it and checking everything. He gave me the ok that it was in decent condition for its age and mileage, but of course needed some minor maintenence. This car runs really rough in idle, and the gas mileage is horrible. I just had the dealership get me new stock spark plugs. Ive also taken it to a tune shop and they were telling me a couple things. One, that the timing belt needed to be retimed. Two, that the wastegate on the turbo was not opening all the way, which is why when hear it, it sounds like a whiffling sound, where as im being told it needs to just sound like a release of air and pressure all at once. I was also told there may be a problem with the fuel injectors because they are aftermarket. Id honestly just like some tips on some of the things i can do to get this car running great, and the gas mileage up a little bit. Also maybe some suggestions on the best place to take the car for some of these jobs, and if it would be better to buy the parts myself to take to them and which parts are the best. Or if one of these jobs is easy enough if i can pull it off myself. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

if you have to think twice about doing it let a professional take care it, things like timing and ignition can really be a b*tch if its set up wrong. id say take it to a professional and let them write you a bill and do the work right. I just bought an evo not to long ago and was lucky not to have any problems with it except a tie-rod end and some ticky lifters, but i took it to a shop to get everything fixed. your car probably just needs a tune up, also for the parts do some research you will constantly see members posting brands and parts names, but first find out everything you need to fix your car then go from there.

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:00 PM

Do a more thorough check of all the parts that are on the car. It sounds like you maybe have aftermarket cams possibly. This with the aftermarket injectores and someone flashing the ECU back to a stock tune will give you the rough idle and bad gas milage. You can get yourself a wideband O2 sensor and a tactrix cable and start talking to one of the vendors on here that can tune via email.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:43 PM

Cool ty guys for the response. Yea i am actually taking it to the mitsubishi dealer tomorrow to let them take a look at it. Im not quite sure about that mod you're talking about, ill see if they can point it out tomorrow.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sambo11
Cool ty guys for the response. Yea i am actually taking it to the mitsubishi dealer tomorrow to let them take a look at it. Im not quite sure about that mod you're talking about, ill see if they can point it out tomorrow.
they will need to pull the valve cover to check if you have aftermarket cams
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure the dealer is the best place to go. YOu can pull the injectors very easy to see what and if they are aftermarket. Also not sure if you have a tuner shop around you but may make sense to have them look at it. the WG may not be opening due to the tune. What other mods are done to the car? I have not had good luck at the dealer with a modded car. The more info you can track it down the better diagnosis you can get.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:43 PM

It has boost control and aftermarket fuel injectors. Im going to try the tune evoruss was talking about. If you are saying the tune might be the problem with the wastegate too, then this will fix pretty much all of my problems. So im going to look up some guides on fuel injectors, im guessing there's some on this site.