Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Loud Lifters

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loud Lifters

Hey EvoM. So i have a problem and was concerned about how to fix it. I changed my Cams and did my 60k Service kit about a 7 months ago. Well we bled my lifters and just put them back in my head Collapsed. I was told to do this and they would fill up when i started the motor. Well ever since my engine has been extremely loud and if i rev it as the RPM's come down it almost sounds like marbles under my valve cover? I was told when i did my lifters i could have gotten dirt or something in them and that instead of taking my head apart i could clean them out. He said to run 1qt of Transmission Fluid through my engine for 10-15 minutes and then drain my oil. He said the Trans fluid should clean out any dirt that could possibly have clogged my lifters and that the new oil once circulated "Should" fill them properly and my engine should run quieter. Has ANYONE ever heard of this method? does it sound safe? please any info is much appreciated i would really Like not having to pull my head apart again... i dont have the time between work and school.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone able to help
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not done this before but found this thread that MIGHT help you out. Read through the thread thoroughly before deciding to attempt this method (if different from the method you tried).

Hope this helps!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-lifters.html
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, an old school approach to the problem, add the tranny fluid let it idle for 10-15 min and just listen--if indeed its just dirty lifters, you will notice the lifters quieting down substantially. DO NOT drive the car with the tranny fluid in it--that stuff is high detergent and you will trash the motor. Give it a try---if it doesnt work-- change the lifters all together because you have other issues. Dont know how you bled the lifters but could be you collapesed them and they are not pumping up due to damage-- . Let us know how this works. Its a good idea. BTW after you have run the fluid thru--change you oil.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah But what trans fluid would i use? does it matter? and i bled the lifters by just collapsing them you are supposed to collapse them and then submerge them in oil and pump them up. we put them in collapsed. that way they usually fill themselves but i dont think they did :/.... i will try the tranny fluid method
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

any trans fluid will work, just go pick up a qrt--cheap is good
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has same problem i changed my lifters to gsc zero ticks. no ticking now only injectors and i have 272s.. if you cant afford lifters right now you can try using a quart of marvel mystery oil. its top end motor cleaner for your valve train it may work after some miles, i just decided to change them.

before and after i changed my lifters:

before:http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=a5a24c81.mp4

after:http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=841ec83d.mp4

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Jun 15, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=deadstockkpomp;10224367]has same problem i changed my lifters to gsc zero ticks. no ticking now only injectors and i have 272s.. if you cant afford lifters right now you can try using a quart of marvel mystery oil. its top end motor cleaner for your valve train it may work after some miles, i just decided to change them.

Ever notice how MM is red in color? Its not that dissimilar from tranny fluid. Good stuff and good recommendation--
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=meckert;10225412]
Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
has same problem i changed my lifters to gsc zero ticks. no ticking now only injectors and i have 272s.. if you cant afford lifters right now you can try using a quart of marvel mystery oil. its top end motor cleaner for your valve train it may work after some miles, i just decided to change them.

Ever notice how MM is red in color? Its not that dissimilar from tranny fluid. Good stuff and good recommendation--
Yes it is red, and thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

for OP this is the a picture of the product:

http://www.shopthedude.com/filedb/2/5/10352.png