Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Short shifter opinions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Short shifter opinions

So after much searching on the forum, most of the results I see in regards to short shifters are from 03-04 when the 8 was first introduced to the states. Most opinions stated that shifters are bad, cause pre mature wear to synchros, don't really work, etc etc. However, what is the current opinion on most short throw shifters on the market today? I've had my Evo 8 for over a year now, haven already done Buschur shifter base aluminum bushings, cable bushings, and a Blox front motor mount. Shift feel is pretty good, but if a short shifter would help, I'd consider it a good investment since you are always going to use it when you drive. Always had a short shifter in my older cars and they made the shift feel more direct and well, shorter. Been looking at the Works shifter or the Buschur, but what are your opinions and which kit is the better performer out on the market?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
works shifter hands down!!! comes with the oem retainer clip, weighs a lil more than stock and very smooth shifting. easy install too
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also curious about the works short shifter. I read in another post that one member actually had it resolve his notchy 1-2 shift. Ive done everything: bushings, amsoil fluid, clutch adj, various weight knobs at different heights, etc. The shifter feel is much better than when i got it, but id like to be able to shift into 2nd without any hesitation. It just seems to me that a short shifter would increase the notchy feeling.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dont have input on either but make sure ur getting a short throw and not just a short shifter. i got the torque solutions short shifter and all it did was lower the height which resulting in a stiffer shifter. the throw is still the same... its just harder to shift.

i dont know which one you are wanting so decide on that first.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Lostsoulevo, did the Works shifter actually shorten the throw of the shifts? I've heard good things about the Works kit, but its also one of the more expensive ones.

Thanks for the heads up SujinX, I was looking at the Torque Solutions shifter, sounds like its not for me.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SW20Mike
Lostsoulevo, did the Works shifter actually shorten the throw of the shifts? I've heard good things about the Works kit, but its also one of the more expensive ones.

Thanks for the heads up SujinX, I was looking at the Torque Solutions shifter, sounds like its not for me.
to be honest i didnt know if the throw was shorter than stock, it feels the same....the height is shorter though by about 1/2in
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

Come take a look at our Full-Replacement Cage. It's currently on sale, we're throwing in some goodies when you purchase one It can be used as an upgrade to just a simple shaft replacement you have and is compatible with most aftermarket short shifters! Come check them out in our HALLOWEEN EXTRAVAGANZA Thread!

PMs and EMAILS are welcome!

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TWM Performance
Come take a look at our Full-Replacement Cage. It's currently on sale, we're throwing in some goodies when you purchase one It can be used as an upgrade to just a simple shaft replacement you have and is compatible with most aftermarket short shifters! Come check them out in our HALLOWEEN EXTRAVAGANZA Thread!

PMs and EMAILS are welcome!

Renato
Team TWM Performance
You guys don't make a cage for the 7/8/9 only the evo 10

If you guys did I would get it
Old Oct 2, 2012, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

^ I thought the same thing, only saw the whole setup for a X.