Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Still high idle, tried cleaning MAF/IAC...what's left?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still high idle, tried cleaning MAF/IAC...what's left?

Not really sure what else I can do anymore, could it be part of the fact my air filter is slightly dirty? It's a Perrin washable so it prob wouldn't take too long to do.

KEEP IN MIND. Please explain your solution with details for noobs. I won't understand anything if you just say do this and this..sorry for the inconvenience just thought I would point that out!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:07 PM

It could possibly be a vacuum leak. Does it go up then down or just stay high?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:09 PM

It just stays high but goes down after about like 10 minutes of running. It just shoots straight up to like 2-2500 and then after running for awhile it goes back down.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:08 AM

Anything been done to the car recently? Did this start all of the sudden following the install of anything?

Vacuum leak would definately cause that.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Are you the original owner of the car? did the previouse owner have mods on the car, have it tuned for those mods, then took them off when he sold them? i would check for vac leaks, do a boost leak tester, if all else fails it may need retuned.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd look into your tps sensor being faulty, or perhaps an air leak around your tb, unless you possibly sprayed something you shouldn't have with the cleaner one being the heat element in the maf sensor. Sometimes after you clean those out you can develop issues. Best bet take it to a tuner have him check out the readings n datalog your car go from there.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:17 PM

Nothing has been done to the car recently, and I don't think it would be a vac leak. I have had many people check it since it started and they all thought it would be the MAF/IAC. I am not the original owner but it has been tuned since the exhaust was put on.

I do currently have a BOV leak but I don't think that would have anything to do with it would it? I wasn't planning to change it until next season as it's just going to be sitting for winter anyway.

There's only one thing about taking it to someone that could tune it...the closest place that can tune my car is over 1000 miles away. I didn't know this when I first bought my car. It's possible it could be the tps sensor though, haven't checked into that yet.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please do a boost leak test. this will show all leaks boost and vac.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...er-5-02-a.html

Good luck, also check the hoses by the egr, they usually fall off.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:30 PM

throwing and cel? i have the same problem but i think i figured mine out i just gotta get the part too figure it out. but my opinion is the temp switch or the coolant temp sensor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had this problem the first time i cleaned my tb. i found a post on this forum somewhere, ( of course, i can't find it now), but it dealt with this by turning the key on/off 3 times before starting. turn all you a/c on while the car is off. turn the key to full on position, then off without removing the key. (KOEO). repeat this for a total of 3 times. on the third time, start the car and let it idle until full operating temperature is reached. do this again with the a/c off. everything will be "learned" by the computer. it's worked twice for me since the first time. i used to do this when i worked for GM also. hopefully this helps, but it could be a vaccuum leak or some unmetered air also. good luck.

(edit), sorry. i thought you cleaned your t/b and then experienced this problem. if it happened before you cleaned, it's probably something else.

Last edited by heavens turbo; Dec 31, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Retune.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had vacuum line pop off on the back of my intake manifold and my car idled the EXACT same way you described. You can't see it from the top of the motor you'll have to reach behind and feel. Verify how many vacuum lines you feel connected.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:22 PM

Thanks all, I will be trying to fix it again once the snow melts. I put my car away for the winter so can't get to it until the snow is gone. I will try everything I haven't once I can.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa... there needs to be WAY more information here before you just start replacing stuff.

1. Did this just start out of the blue? Or was there something (even slightly) that MAY have caused it?
2. When you say it goes up to 2k or 2.5k how high does it go up? It does this for about 10 minutes, and then goes back to normal? Does it do this every time? Or only on cold starts?
3. Is there a CEL or no? If so... which codes?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CeeKayy
Thanks all, I will be trying to fix it again once the snow melts. I put my car away for the winter so can't get to it until the snow is gone. I will try everything I haven't once I can.
You are doing it wrong. AWD is for the snow!
And yes, sounds like a giant leak.

Quick Reply: Still high idle, tried cleaning MAF/IAC...what's left?