Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone know what the wires on an AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know what the wires on an AC compressor

So trying to diagnose my ac compressor because my AC stopped working a few days ago. I live in hawaii and its pretty hot! Anyway, my clutch stopped moving on my compressor and I just wanted to test if its getting any power. Anyone know what wires are what? I know there are two plugs on them. Heres a pictures

Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
one wire goes to the clutch on the pulley through refrigerant temp sensor its controlled by eng ecu via a/c compessor relay.

basically 12v in through the refrig temp sensor switch if the temp is ok it sends 12v to the clutch which pulls in the electromagnetic clutch then turns the a/c compressor.

check the fuses and then next get the gas checked

Last edited by todd6027; Apr 16, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'm getting over 12v on that brown plug
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

I think there is a pressure sensor somewhere also. if there is not enough gas in the system, the compressor will not engage.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

And r-134a if full and good
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
If you have 12V on the one-wire connector going to the compressor and the clutch is not engaging, you can only have a bad clutch or an over heat (or indicated overheat) condition in the compressor.

You do not have to worry about charge level or pressure or switch or anything else.... you have 12V on the connector, which means everything else is OK enough to run the pump. If you did not have 12V then you would worry about pressure, relay, etc.

All the clutch needs to turn on is that 12V signal which you have.... it's just a matter of whether or not it is reaching the clutch (since as mentioned it loops through the sensor). Once you determine that you will know whether you need a clutch or a compressor.

Technically you could over heat it if your radiator fan was not working, however realistically the high pressure would cut the power first.
I have been working on these for way longer than I care to remember, and I have never seen a single sensor temp sensor fail on a compressor. I have seen literally a couple over heat conditions, it is rare though. The clutches on the other hand fail a lot.
Edit: if you want to be brutal, take a scotch lock and short the two wires on the compressor together simulating and OK sensor. If the clutch still doesn't engage, the clutch coil is fried.

Regardless of the cause.... it is nearly always cheaper to put a new compressor on aftermarket. They can be had as complete units way cheaper than even just the clutch from Mitsubishi.