Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nasty Squeak when engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nasty Squeak when engine is cold

It started at the beginning of this winter, when I would start the car in the morning I would hear a squeaking coming from something on the serpentine belt assembly. The noise would usually go away in a minute or two. It is defiantly not the sound of a loose belt squeaking, and sounds more like a bearing going out. I am pretty confident it is the alternator, though I have not seen a battery light come on. As time went on the squeak would take longer to go away. Now its changed pitch and sound considerably, and is taking a 20 min drive to go away. I am starting to worry about the bearing seizing up.

How difficult is it to install a new unit? It looks pretty difficult as far as location goes, and doing some searching on the forum did not yield many encouraging results. Some said go from the bottom, taking off the down pipe, half shaft..... Some said go from the top, taking off the strut bar, throttle body....
So what is the correct way to do this job?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:37 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
verify whats making the noise before just ripping stuff apart. You can buy a stethoscope cheap and use that. You could also remove the serp belt and spin stuff around till you find the squeaker.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:25 AM

Also you can try to spray some of those belt dressing to rule out the belt that is loose or slipping.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you have an evo 9 this sticky may help you.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...elt-video.html

Last edited by jason42003; Jan 19, 2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
verify whats making the noise before just ripping stuff apart. You can buy a stethoscope cheap and use that. You could also remove the serp belt and spin stuff around till you find the squeaker.
Agreed that you should verify the noise before tearing stuff apart. That is odd, Hope you figure it out.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Have you done the 60K service ?
I would take the serpentine belt off and run the engine for a min. This should rule out the alternator. Also since you have an IX it could be the bracket that was updated after people complained about noise. The Tbelt rubs on it.
There is a sticky thread on it somewhere.

1091A133 Bracket Cylinder Block.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:21 PM

The Car had the 60K service including the timing belt before I got it. I tried spraying some PB blaster on the pulley shaft on the inside of the pulley to see if by chance any of it would cure the squeak. It took a couple of days but it seems to be getting quieter, I will definitely do more investigating to figure out what the bad component actually is. jason42003, I took a look at the video, it sounds similar but mine has more of a metallic sound to it, witch is why it was scaring me....
Looks like its just time to get my hands dirty.