Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mystery Engine Squeak (Similar to break squeak?)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Engine Squeak (Similar to break squeak?)

Hi All

First, I am by no means anywhere close to an expert on this so please work with me. I did some searching and it looks like there's a good amount of threads on mystery engine noises on the X but I do not believe my problem falls within these. The car is a '14 with about 34k miles on it. I don't track the car nor do I drive like a maniac.

Okay so to begin, there are two mystery noises coming from my engine.

1. The first noise is a very very faint squeaking noise coming from the engine on the passenger side. This noise is extremely faint to the point where I thought I was making it up in my head but it has been slowly getting louder. This noise only makes a squeaking noise when I am in gear and accelerating. If I am in gear and cruising with no gas, the noise is gone.

2. The second noise sounds almost similar to break squeak (but it isnt) and is coming from the driver side engine location. This noise usually happens between 2k-3.5k rpms and will squeak regardless of whether I am giving the car gas or just cruising with no gas.

I was going to try to send a video but both noises only happen when the car is in gear and not when revving in neutral.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe belt issues? Again I have almost no experience here so anything helps me. If these are stupid questions, I apologize in advance but couldn't find a similar thread to reference. I am going to take it to my local mitsu dealer but id like to have something in mind before I go.
Old May 22, 2016, 09:51 AM

Hard to say without video of the noise but it does sound like belt noise.
Old May 23, 2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by UF_Evo
Hard to say without video of the noise but it does sound like belt noise.
Thanks - Yea I agree its just near impossible as it only happens when the car is in gear and moving. Just figured to ask and see if anyone would be able to tell based purely on description.
Old May 26, 2016, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like your hearing gear noise coming from your center Dif. If it doesn't get louder, it's normal.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
Sounds like your hearing gear noise coming from your center Dif. If it doesn't get louder, it's normal.
Forgive my ignorance here, like I said previously im not as knowledgable as i probably should be, but if this is the case, is there a reason that this just recently started happening?

That being said, it is most definitely worse some times than others. I feel like after a long day of driving it usually is alot louder and the squeak lasts for a longer period of time before dying off. For instance, yesterday it was super loud on the driver side of the engine bay but this morning I dont remember hearing much of anything.
Old May 27, 2016, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weather, Temperture, Humidity seem to make it louder on some days vs other. Living in Texas, I've notice that on cooler or high humidity day seem to make it louder. As long as it goes away on some days I'd say your ok, if it starts to get louder based on acceleration and always does it is when I would consider taking it to Mitsubishi for a look at. If your still under warranty, heck take it in anyways. They'll probably tell you it's normal, but you'll have peace of mind knowing it is.
Old May 31, 2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
Weather, Temperture, Humidity seem to make it louder on some days vs other. Living in Texas, I've notice that on cooler or high humidity day seem to make it louder. As long as it goes away on some days I'd say your ok, if it starts to get louder based on acceleration and always does it is when I would consider taking it to Mitsubishi for a look at. If your still under warranty, heck take it in anyways. They'll probably tell you it's normal, but you'll have peace of mind knowing it is.
So this is what I ended up doing. Took it to Mitsu and had them take a look. The same day I installed some new brake pads and had the rotors replaced. Sure enough (now 3 days later) the squeak is gone. I feel better knowing its gone but never got a definite answer as to what it was. Im going to go ahead and convince myself it had something to do with the weather and perhaps some noise around the rotors that somehow sounded like it was coming from the engine area. Thanks for the input </thread>
Old May 31, 2016, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about #2, but #1... if it does come back check your pulleys. Have you had your pulley recall complete? With a 2014 depending on the build date you could still have this recall to do.