Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some serious help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Need some serious help

Ok so while installing my boost gauge I was reading how to do it, I proceeded with drilling a hole and thought I cleared the wiring under the passenger glove compartment where the rubber protective cable box is.

I might have screwed up a few wires and now my speedometer mph doesn't move, cel does not come on and high beam is off as well. Everything else works.

The only wire I see that came off was a black one that looks like its a ground. So what can I do in this case?

Is it a separate cable i can unplug and put a new one there. Or am i screwed?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Great... Just looked on ebay and realized I need to buy a new wire harness...

Nevermind
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Time out.

What happened? Why do you need a new wiring harness? If you torched a couple of wires, you can always go the splice and dice route... but your post is slightly vague.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

And why are you drilling holes at all to install a boost gauge?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Time out.

What happened? Why do you need a new wiring harness? If you torched a couple of wires, you can always go the splice and dice route... but your post is slightly vague.
A thread on here said to drill a hole through the rubber gromet on the passenger side to get a hose closer to a boost source such as the fpr.

Im trying to take off the gromet to see what damage I did in order to repair it. But at this point I assumed It was beyond repair
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Ok wait... you drilled a hole in the rubber grommet that is in the hole that goes through the firewall on the pax side?

And your issue right now is... you seem to have clipped a handful of the wires that run through there stock with a drillbit?

If that's that case, you can fix it, but disconnect your battery completely IMMEDIATELY (fire risk), and I'll report back based on your reply.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Just disconnected it.

Ok how do i slide off that grommet on the passenger side
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Ok wait... you drilled a hole in the rubber grommet that is in the hole that goes through the firewall on the pax side?

And your issue right now is... you seem to have clipped a handful of the wires that run through there stock with a drillbit?

If that's that case, you can fix it, but disconnect your battery completely IMMEDIATELY (fire risk), and I'll report back based on your reply.
Yes with a drill bit
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

You'll need to force the grommet through the hole with a blunt object (so it doesn't pierce). You MAY need to remove the wires, but I doubt it. Honestly... I'd check to see if there was slack in either direction, and slide the wiring harness through a couple inches one way or the other. That way you can cut open the sheathing, inspect the wires, and splice and dice as necessary.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so here is my guess to fix it

I was able to remove that grommet

Disconect all the plugs for the harness
pull them through the grommet hole
Fix the wires by splicing them
Recconect everything

Great.....
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Absolutely correct.

Sorry about the delay. Still at the office.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

You'll need to force the grommet through the hole with a blunt object (so it doesn't pierce). You MAY need to remove the wires, but I doubt it. Honestly... I'd check to see if there was slack in either direction, and slide the wiring harness through a couple inches one way or the other. That way you can cut open the sheathing, inspect the wires, and splice and dice as necessary.
I saw most of the wires and surprisingly they look good, there is one ground wire that is off but I just replied earlier and thats how im going to fix it. That way i can see all the wires

There is not enough slack to move the grommet or enough room to even look. I have no choice but to disconnect everything from the cabin
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Be sure you use correct wire gauge, and properly heat shrink everything. I'd suggest the inline crimps. Vampire clips are too bulky. Soldering is susceptible to vibration cracking.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Be sure you use correct wire gauge, and properly heat shrink everything. I'd suggest the inline crimps. Vampire clips are too bulky. Soldering is susceptible to vibration cracking.
Yea I was going to use that method and any wires that are scraped just wrap them with electrical tape

Do I need to remove the dash board to reach everything?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
Yea I was going to use that method and any wires that are scraped just wrap them with electrical tape

Do I need to remove the dash board to reach everything?
Wires that have ANY damage need to be replaced.

TBPH, my Evo is garaged, and I haven't run any wires through that hole in about 2 years, but I'd think there would be enough slack in the harness to allow you to not have to play that game. In fact, I'm almost certain that there's enough slack to at least move it around because the motor moves independent of the chassis.

If you need to remove the dash, it will almost certainly make the actual job easier, but removing any dash is no picnic. So go that route only if you must.

Once you get the grommet out, you should have a better idea of what you're looking at in terms of damage.

For future reference... if you ever need to run something through one of these firewall ports, your best bet is to use a stiff object (knitting needle, paperclip, etc) to force through the grommet space, and fish wires through.

Quick Reply: Need some serious help