Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Slight regret regarding my EVO IX. your opinion is required. (bit of typing).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight regret regarding my EVO IX. your opinion is required. (bit of typing).

Hi guys,

This post may be slightly controversial and would most likely be based on biased opinion.

Ok, recently I've purchased a 2007' EVO IX (CY, which is pretty much a cross between an MR & GSR in the states, Alloy roof, 6-speed etc etc.)

details of the vehicle:
Mileage: 47,000km (29,204mi)
Colour: White
Condition: Good condition

misc:
3" Downpipe
20PSI boost actuator
Turbosmart Boost gauge on steering column.
Braided brake lines
slotted discs
Bilstien shocks upgrade font and rear.
and other little minor Whiteline centre adjusters and crap…. (but don't worry, ill be adding more to the list with both performance upgrade as well as carbon exterior/interior parts)

apparently I'm the third owner, and i have a feeling it has been to, The - track (hence the upgrades)

basically I've paid a very decent price for this car (far more than what its really worth on vehicle evaluation website approximates).

I was eager, i found EVO IX in White, grey, silver or black hard to come by with low kilometres. Everytime there was a decent IX… it got snapped up within seconds.
(every time it was advertised within a few days… making a call to the seller "oh, someone put a deposit… ill let you know if it falls-through)

Anyhow, just recently I've noticed EVO X's for sale with decent price.

ill show you guys this one:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=7&sdmvc=1

As you can see, (in AUS $, it is silver with ONLY 9,300KM (5,778 miles)

which is basically almost a NEW CAR. No modifications, most likely has never been to the track.

The cost of this car is basically about $5,000AUD ($4500USD) more than what I've paid for the EVO IX 2007 with 47,000km (29,000miles)

The deterrent for me about the X in the first place was that, i couldn't simply stand…the way it looks. to me it JUST looks WRONG (sorry guys who are X enthusiasts, as i mentioned. it may cause a bit of controversy). The standard Lancer just looks too much like the EVO X. Every time i see a lancer with factory sports options drive past i would think "oh look, its an EVO…oh nope, its ralliart?… oh ok… its VR-X"
or for an EVO "look, i think thats a ralliart… oh nope?…lancer?… oh its the 10!"
(this is speaking from a person whom doesn't have an eye for them, so I'm sure someone with a trained eye can pick one out within one-tenths of a second.)

i prefer the IX Recaros over the X… and i guess i didn't favour the fact that it was heavier and larger also.

it also doesn't seem as popular as the IXs… judging on how quick the IX's get snapped up.

But at the end of the day, admittedly.. other than the seats… it has a better interior and most of all… its a NEWER CAR and Current shape.

as for the IX, the standard lancer looks NOTHING like it… to me, the IX looks more raw…

apparently the IX handles, accelerates more aggressively & has a touch-better times on the track than the X.
(providing stock vs stock and the older IX with all parts in good working order etc of course.)

So my two question are:

1.) Am I an IDIOT for paying this much for the IX over the X, Y or N?

2.) Y or N, Please state your comment as to why. E.G; (No, imo the IX may be older… but is a legendary car that cannot be duplicated ever again. OR Y, your an idiot.. 10 has way more potential than the 9… it may look crap but can take more mods and the engine and gearbox is more robust…. etc)

let me know guys…

Thanks & regards,

Last edited by wowzers; Mar 13, 2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wowzers
Hi guys,

This post may be slightly controversial and would most likely be based on biased opinion.

Ok, recently I've purchased a 2007' EVO IX (CY, which is pretty much a cross between an MR & GSR in the states, Alloy roof, 6-speed etc etc.)

details of the vehicle:
Mileage: 47,000km (29,204mi)
Colour: White
Condition: Good condition

misc:
3" Downpipe
20PSI boost actuator
Turbosmart Boost gauge on steering column.
Braided brake lines
slotted discs
Bilstien shocks upgrade font and rear.
and other little minor Whiteline centre adjusters and crap…. (but don't worry, ill be adding more to the list with both performance upgrade as well as carbon exterior/interior parts)

apparently I'm the third owner, and i have a feeling it has been to, The - track (hence the upgrades)

basically I've paid a very decent price for this car (far more than what its really worth on vehicle evaluation website approximates).

I was eager, i found EVO IX in White, grey, silver or black hard to come by with low kilometres. Everytime there was a decent IX… it got snapped up within seconds.
(every time it was advertised within a few days… making a call to the seller "oh, someone put a deposit… ill let you know if it falls-through)

Anyhow, just recently I've noticed EVO X's for sale with decent price.

ill show you guys this one:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=7&sdmvc=1

As you can see, (in AUS $, it is silver with ONLY 9,300KM (5,778 miles)

which is basically almost a NEW CAR. No modifications, most likely has never been to the track.

The cost of this car is basically about $5,000AUD ($4500USD) more than what I've paid for the EVO IX 2007 with 47,000km (29,000miles)

The deterrent for me about the X in the first place was that, i couldn't simply stand…the way it looks. to me it JUST looks WRONG (sorry guys who are X enthusiasts, as i mentioned. it may cause a bit of controversy). The standard Lancer just looks too much like the EVO X. Every time i see a lancer with factory sports options drive past i would think "oh look, its an EVO…oh nope, its ralliart?… oh ok… its VR-X"
or for an EVO "look, i think thats a ralliart… oh nope?…lancer?… oh its the 10!"
(this is speaking from a person whom doesn't have an eye for them, so I'm sure someone with a trained eye can pick one out within one-tenths of a second.)

i prefer the IX Recaros over the X… and i guess i didn't favour the fact that it was heavier and larger also.

it also doesn't seem as popular as the IXs… judging on how quick the IX's get snapped up.

But at the end of the day, admittedly.. other than the seats… it has a better interior and most of all… its a NEWER CAR and Current shape.

as for the IX, the standard lancer looks NOTHING like it… to me, the IX looks more raw…

apparently the IX handles, accelerates more aggressively & has a touch-better times on the track than the X.
(providing stock vs stock and the older IX with all parts in good working order etc of course.)

So my two question are:

2.) Y or N, Please state your comment as to why. E.G; (No, imo the IX may be older… but is a legendary car that cannot be duplicated ever again. OR Y, your an idiot.. 10 has way more potential than the 9… it may look crap but can take more mods and the engine and gearbox is more robust…. etc)

let me know guys…

Thanks & regards,
It sounds like you like the IX over the X, execpt the X is a newer car. Your IX still has very low miles so I wouldn't even worry about it if it's the body style and engine you like.

Personally, I have favorites about both of them. For the VIII/IX, I love the 4G63. The X has the 4B11T which is a rear mounted turbo and a total PITA to work on. For the X, I love the suspension and stance. Something about a wide body and being able to fit 10.5" wide wheels really gets to me.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:47 AM

Reading your post, my thoughts are you bought the vehicle you really wanted overall(based on what you felt the pros vs cons were). The only thing that seems to have your mind elsewhere is how much newer one may be.

In the end, all that matters is you bought the car you wanted for a price you felt was acceptable. Don't let anyone elses opinion make you think otherwise.. you already made the right choice.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Enjoy your IX and don't look back!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

The fact that a IX is that close in value to an almost new car should tell you something.

Mods don't mean it has been tracked either. Within a few months your evo will feel slow and you'll think something is wrong. Then you'll want to add power.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 04:13 AM

Definitely stick with the IX - that X has the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold my X(16000 miles) and paid same money I got for IX. (27000 miles). Lots people think I'm idiot but I don't give fxxx. IMO evo x is nice but ix is better.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by adamsheehy
Definitely stick with the IX - that X has the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car!
OP is from Australia? Hence the right hand drive.

The standard Lancer just looks too much like the EVO X. Every time i see a lancer with factory sports options drive past i would think "oh look, its an EVO…oh nope, its ralliart?… oh ok… its VR-X"
Haha this cracks me up! I too feel the same way. Except I think the X front looks awesome. The rear on the other hand...

I think you made a good choice on the IX. Downfall for AUS/NZ EVO 8/9's is that they now have the boyracer image whereas the X is a little touch on the classier side. I own an 8 but if I could afford a 9 7 years ago I would've snatched one up. There's actually a mint 9 for sale here in NZ untouched. Might grab her. Anyways, good luck with future mods. You won't regret it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i know how you feel right now brother I've been in your shoes.that id normal that 9 will cost more then 10.you have raw car it's a legend just like supras or R34's.enjoy the car
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by NigHtcRawl3R
OP is from Australia? Hence the right hand drive.
Yeah, I know...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvolvedAK
Reading your post, my thoughts are you bought the vehicle you really wanted overall(based on what you felt the pros vs cons were). The only thing that seems to have your mind elsewhere is how much newer one may be.

In the end, all that matters is you bought the car you wanted for a price you felt was acceptable. Don't let anyone elses opinion make you think otherwise.. you already made the right choice.
This

Can't say it any better
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:30 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Enjoy your IX! They are hard to come by and keep it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
you have a white evo 9??? and youre complaining… cmon!!!! i'd trade my 9 for yours anyday
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Like others have said keep the IX and enjoy it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by wowzers
So my two question are:

let me know guys…

Thanks & regards,
1) Yes, you should have bought a used Evo VI (yes 6) that was imported from Japan. The 6 IS the best evo ever made.

2) see #1

Quick Reply: Slight regret regarding my EVO IX. your opinion is required. (bit of typing).