Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Royal Purple oil in Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple oil in Evo 9

Hello everyone!
I'm from Ukraine and finally found overseas forums of evo owners like I am)
Going to change engine oil on my Evo 9 full stock and incidentally found Purple Royal oil XPR series for racing vehicle such as lancer evo with a lot of good feedbacks in US and Australia.
Unfortunately in Ukraine don't sell official this oil and most Europe too so I'm going to purchase for check this oil on my evo. I'm tired use Motul 300v and other untwisted oils lol)
Who is using or used this oil? What you can say about best model of this oil, overheating and viscosity in summer and winter? Also would be glad for any information about this oil
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL royal purple does not have good feedback
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

What's "untwisted" oil? Does that mean synthetic oil?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jrainwater
What's "untwisted" oil? Does that mean synthetic oil?
no I'm trying to say pop oil for evo cars such as motul
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
LOL royal purple does not have good feedback
This oil was official sponsor on World Time Atack ) I think organizers of WTAC will not conclude contract with sucked oil)
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Emit_1
Hello everyone!
Going to change engine oil on my Evo 9 full stock and incidentally found Purple Royal oil XPR series for racing vehicle such as lancer evo with a lot of good feedbacks in US and Australia.
Unfortunately in Ukraine don't sell official this oil and most Europe too so I'm going to purchase for check this oil on my evo. I'm tired use Motul 300v and other untwisted oils lol)
Who is using or used this oil? What you can say about best model of this oil, overheating and viscosity in summer and winter? Also would be glad for any information about this oil
Ive used several different types of brands in the past.

magnetic, synthetic, semi-synthetic …

I seriously, couldn't tell the difference.

Apparently they tested an EVO here with different oils and some showed 1 - 2kw gains.

Something that you would not feel.

I don't know how your vehicles are affected with your climate, but id imagine its extremely cold in winter. AS long as you follow the viscosity chart i guess.

I would imagine at least some work shops in Russia stock them?

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by wowzers
Ive used several different types of brands in the past.

magnetic, synthetic, semi-synthetic …

I seriously, couldn't tell the difference.

Apparently they tested an EVO here with different oils and some showed 1 - 2kw gains.

Something that you would not feel.

I don't know how your vehicles are affected with your climate, but id imagine its extremely cold in winter. AS long as you follow the viscosity chart i guess.

I would imagine at least some work shops in Russia stock them?

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Thanks for answers!
Did you use usual oil or XPR racing line?
Yes you are right we have cold winter up to 30-40*C but in winter we are use oil with 0-10W viscocity level.
I'm in Ukraine and there is some problem with custom to receive this items from Russia especially right now with military situation between Russia and Ukraine)
For me it would be easier to order this oil from US
Old Jun 14, 2014, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

They sell this oil at pep boys lol
Old Jun 14, 2014, 09:12 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Dunno if you are going to be using this for a street driven car, but the XPR is marketed as a racing oil. Generally racing oils do not contain additives (like detergents) that street cars need.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for answers!
Did you use usual oil or XPR racing line?
Yes you are right we have cold winter up to 30-40*C but in winter we are use oil with 0-10W viscocity level.
I'm in Ukraine and there is some problem with custom to receive this items from Russia especially right now with military situation between Russia and Ukraine)
For me it would be easier to order this oil from US
Im sorry to hear about the unrest with your neighbouring country.

Hope things sort itself out.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Dunno if you are going to be using this for a street driven car, but the XPR is marketed as a racing oil. Generally racing oils do not contain additives (like detergents) that street cars need.
This.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello everyone!

Basically stock evo you can get away with using whats stamped on the oil cap. Pick up some Mobil 1 at the local auto parts store and you will be fine. You can most certainly spend more on fancier oils, the Motul you have been using that you say you are sick of, is some of the best oil out there. I don't understand what you mean by tired of it?

XPR is a good oil. Probably the only Royal Purple oil I would personally run in my evo. Also if you google around, lots of racers seem to like it. I think the Motul you were using is probably still better though.

You folks out in that part of the globe get some great oils locally, Fuchs,Silkolene,Motul, to name a few. If RP is that tough to get stick with some of your local ones. It seems like you are not really needing a special race oil so these oils will have better detergents for a daily driver anyhow.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

This oil was official sponsor on World Time Atack ) I think organizers of WTAC will not conclude contract with sucked oil)

Just as a sidenote, that doesn't say much. You do know every race team has their own oil custom formulated to their specs from that sponsor. The oil they use is no where near the oil you can get in the stores. Just like the Mobil 1 "used" in Nascar. Some of the specs for teams have them using 1000ppm of Moly, I have yet to find Mobil 1 at the stores with those kinds of specs lol .

Back in the days I also knew a engine builder for a certain Nascar team sponsored by Havoline. They didn't like that oil so he told me they would just dump Mobil 1 into their Havoline containers. So in other words, what you see them pouring in may not even be the same brand you think.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Look under the blackstone labs oil analysis thread and see how ****ty royal poop does compared to other oils.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't had a XPR uoa posted on my thread, it has just been the standard HPS street oils from Royal Purple. Those aren't that great. Not worth the money, but in the end, if you are using those, you aren't going to harm the engine--maybe just the bank account.

No personal experience but from the little I have seen googling the XPR 5w30, uoa has shown was 1300 zinc 1200 phos, give or take some, and quite a bit of moly as well, so on paper it seems pretty good. Its pricey stuff though, I think even more than Dominator race oil. If this is purely a daily driven car it seems a bit much to think you need to use this. If you do end up using XPR please send out a uoa and post it on here.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple oil in Evo 9