Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help , car will only turn on when car is cool

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help , car will only turn on when car is cool

Last edited by steveliu30033; Jan 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its tune related
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:02 AM

Did you replace the oxygen sensor?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by RGV250
Did you replace the oxygen sensor?
I didnt , I saw most people fix this issue with the oxygen sensor, but I dont think that can cause it to do that , but I could be wrong.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

When you say the starter "goes through", do you mean the starter turns over but the car won't "catch" and crank or do you just get a clicking sound similar to a dead battery? Also, when you turn the key to accessory, does everything electrical turn on? If you're just getting a clicking but no turning over but all your accessories turn on and this is when the car is hot, it's most likely your starter. I had a very similar sounding issue recently. I bought my car already built but it was on a 93 tune. I bought the E85 map from the previous owner and switched to that with no other changes. Slowly but surely I started having starting issues. Got worse and worse until I literally couldn't start the car if it had been running for a while without jumping it off. I replaced battery and alternator and didn't solve problem. Last week I changed starter and then drove the car all week and *knock on wood* haven't had an issue since. I've replicated every bit of driving that would cause it to not start before and so far so good. I got a reman'd starter from O'Reilly's for like $80 after military discount and core return. MY PREVIOUS ISSUE WAS AMPLIFIED ANYTIME THE CAR WAS HOT, ESPECIALLY AFTER SPIRITED HIGHWAY DRIVING. WOULD "GENERALLY" START ON A COLD ENGINE BUT NOT WHEN HOT.

Last edited by NSDQ; Jul 21, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 01:53 PM

Yes the starter turns over, and when its on accessory, everything works, I have two batteries in the car, I know its not the starter or batterys.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

could still be starter. One of the symptoms I had was that the car would turn over but wouldn't catch and crank and then dissolved into not turning over at all. Next time it happens, jump it off and see if it fires right up. I had my starter tested as well and it appeared fine but a friend of mine with an Evo (not on this site) explained that if there's a dead spot in the starter, a bench test won't catch the issue, so even though it tested fine I still got a new one and like I said, I've replicated all kinds of driving the past week and it's started strong every single time, hot or cold engine, dry and rainy.

*disclaimer: I'm not going to officially say the new starter solved my problem but in a week's time and 20+ cranks it's cranked every time, thus far. That's more consistency in 1 week than I had gotten in 2 months.

Last edited by NSDQ; Jul 21, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:43 PM

I dont think its the starter becuase I still hear the starter keep trying , but just wont start . And I tried jumping it to see if it would start but it wont. I have othe wait like a couple hours for it to start. It might be the tune, not really sure, or might be something as basic as the rrlay is too hott and it wont turn on until its cold. I really have no idea. Im going to try to drive it turn it off, unplug the battery , plug it back in and see if that will start it.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound like your fuel pump. I would check for fuel pressure when it doesnt start.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

check the small black wire that is plugged into the top of the starter. Right where the wiring goes into the little black clip has a tendency to pull loose. Check that the wiring into that clip is snug and if not, make it snug and secure it and see if that helps
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
Its tune related
Care to elaborate? If it's tune related, what value or parameter in the tune would effect the start-ability of the vehicle and seemingly be temperature based? I'm assuming you are referring to the CEL and code he got and implying that something in the tune caused that fault to occur and cause a domino effect of issues that now cause his starting issues. If that's the case, it would be helpful to the community if you elaborated a bit more.

Last edited by NSDQ; Jul 22, 2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I would say it is your tune and related to your injectors. I had a similar problem after swapping mine out. Cold starts no problem. It would not start when warm unless i pumped the gas pedal. It would not start at all warm until I tuned the injectors more. Latency is important.

Edit, try cranking while pumping gas pedal and let us know the results
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
I would say it is your tune and related to your injectors. I had a similar problem after swapping mine out. Cold starts no problem. It would not start when warm unless i pumped the gas pedal. It would not start at all warm until I tuned the injectors more. Latency is important.

Edit, try cranking while pumping gas pedal and let us know the results
that is helpful info. Saying that it's the tune and specifying how it's tune related is useful. I'm still learning these cars myself so I guess I just like to see details.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:25 AM

Okay so I started the car and drove it about 5 miles ans drive it.back home and tried to start it, it wouldnt start, then I disconnected the battery for about 10 min and tried to start it , and it didnt start either. So I yhink its either the tune or maby an electrical problem , the tuner is helping me out as well , I will post info as soon as I find out if aything changes
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:49 PM

still having the same issue, changed the throttle position sensor, changed the battery, coil pack, spark plugs , spark plug wire, fuel pump relay, didn't fix the issue.
no check engine light.

mods.
borg warner s362
tial v44 waste
fic 2150cc injectors (bypassed)
2 walbro 255 fuel pump
e85
speed density
hks 272cams
works throttlebody
buchers racing intercooler
quatermaster 8 leg clutch

Last edited by steveliu30033; Jan 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: help , car will only turn on when car is cool