Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fathouse Fabs project / Head noise / exhaust leaks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 08:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing I like about Fathouse Fab is they will get the most out of whatever setup you have. It will be done right. It is hard to wait, but worth it, trust me.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manifold almost done!

Old Oct 12, 2014, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Manifold finished. They still have more work to finish up this week but this was the major muscle movement.

Old Oct 13, 2014, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spun a rod bearing in my EVO recently and I currently have my car at Fathouse about to get a complete rebuild by them. I'm headed there Wednesday to meet with Ben so maybe I'll get to check out your car in person while its there.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnPich
I spun a rod bearing in my EVO recently and I currently have my car at Fathouse about to get a complete rebuild by them. I'm headed there Wednesday to meet with Ben so maybe I'll get to check out your car in person while its there.
Yep my car will still be there. They worked on downpipe today and I'm sure other things. I think you'll be pleased with them, they will work within your budget and are very responsive and flexible with your wants/needs. Can't wait to see your build and hopefully see your car when I go to pick mine up when it's finished.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by NSDQ
Yep my car will still be there. They worked on downpipe today and I'm sure other things. I think you'll be pleased with them, they will work within your budget and are very responsive and flexible with your wants/needs. Can't wait to see your build and hopefully see your car when I go to pick mine up when it's finished.
Yeah, I'll definitely look for your car while I'm there tomorrow. What's the ETA on your car being finished? I know a few of the local Indy EVO owners, maybe we can all have a small EVO meet when you finally pick up your car.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:40 PM

Wow, their work looks awesome!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'll definitely look for your car while I'm there tomorrow. What's the ETA on your car being finished? I know a few of the local Indy EVO owners, maybe we can all have a small EVO meet when you finally pick up your car.
It's going to be a sprint to the finish but they are hoping to wrap it up today and have it on the dyno tomorrow. I plan to pick it up Saturday if everything goes well on the dyno tomorrow.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by NSDQ
It's going to be a sprint to the finish but they are hoping to wrap it up today and have it on the dyno tomorrow. I plan to pick it up Saturday if everything goes well on the dyno tomorrow.
Saturday morning I'm actually headed just southwest of Indy to Plainfield, IN to check out the progress of my friends EVO 4 build. You're more than welcome to join us if you've got time. If not, I'm sure you'll see my silver EVO 8 there at Fathouse and I'm sure everything will go great with your dyno session.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Saturday morning I'm actually headed just southwest of Indy to Plainfield, IN to check out the progress of my friends EVO 4 build. You're more than welcome to join us if you've got time. If not, I'm sure you'll see my silver EVO 8 there at Fathouse and I'm sure everything will go great with your dyno session.
Yeah man I'll have to catch you at another time, I gotta do a quick turn and burn since it's almost 5 hours one way for me up there and my gf is driving me up and dropping me off and following me back. I'll check yours out if they have the shop open.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately, got some not good news. They cranked car to check it out before dyno and things didn't sound good at all. Here's what they told me:

"Not good news today.

We got the car running and its got some head noise, more than we think it should. Do you remember if it was noisy before? Sounds like a bad lifter.

Also we were tracking down some exhaust leaks and noticed small bubbles coming out of the headgasket from underneath, thats not good! Its prob not blown yet, only leaking. But if we tried to dyno it, its likely to blow.

We would suggest pulling the head to fix that issue, possibly upgrading studs and cams too while we are in there. When we have it off we can see whats causing the noise as well.

Let me know what you want to do.

Sorry for the bad news but we didnt want to damage it any further by attempting to tune the car."
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Some local buddies of mine pointed out that I had a extra valve cover powdercoated prior to taking my car to Fathouse. The VC was installed this week but car fired up for the first time today. They mentioned hearing some stories of media blasting residue/particles getting trapped on the underside of powdered VC's and dislodging once the engine starts and whatnot and this can lead to engine problems and even failures. I confirmed this on an old thread on this site where David Buscher himself said he's seen many Evo engines destroyed because of this. I'm crossing my fingers that something as seemingly stupid as a powdercoated VC isn't what has perhaps caused valvetrain issues. Won't know full extent of issues until head is pulled but hopefully it's minor. Link to thread about debris from media blasting: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-problem.html
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

They guy who did my valve cover actually responded right away. He chemically stripped the valve cover he used that is now mine. So that eliminates that.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad news on the car. I actually stopped by Fathouse yesterday to finalize the paperwork for my build and saw your car there. Hopefully it'll get sorted out and fixed for you soon.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

thanks man

Quick Reply: Fathouse Fabs project / Head noise / exhaust leaks