Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ignition coil upgrade

Old Oct 1, 2014, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition coil upgrade

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding ignition coil upgrades.

Firstly which are the top brands for a direct OEM swap?

Does it make much of a difference with response?

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2014, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by wowzers
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding ignition coil upgrades.

Firstly which are the top brands for a direct OEM swap?

Does it make much of a difference with response?

Thanks
First things first you have to decide if you want to run a CDI or non CDI unit. CDI setups will be more expensive. SpoolinUp and Sparktech and two very popular brands for the Evo and both offer CDI and non CDI systems. SpoolinUp will be the less expensive of the two brands. I run a SpoolinUp non CDI coil on plug ignition setup with oem replacement NGK spark plugs and have no issues or complaints. In regards to you response question, there is a small noticeable difference. Everything is just a lot smoother. Idle, cruise, WOT, etc. SpoolinUp says it increases hp but I didn't notice anything substantial. All in all its a great mod and am very happy with it, and it looks amazing with the carbon fiber plate.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
There are also numerous how to's for making a set yourself.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lug-setup.html
Like that one! Super easy, cost me 60$ for parts at a wrecker.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
First things first you have to decide if you want to run a CDI or non CDI unit. CDI setups will be more expensive. SpoolinUp and Sparktech and two very popular brands for the Evo and both offer CDI and non CDI systems. SpoolinUp will be the less expensive of the two brands. I run a SpoolinUp non CDI coil on plug ignition setup with oem replacement NGK spark plugs and have no issues or complaints. In regards to you response question, there is a small noticeable difference. Everything is just a lot smoother. Idle, cruise, WOT, etc. SpoolinUp says it increases hp but I didn't notice anything substantial. All in all its a great mod and am very happy with it, and it looks amazing with the carbon fiber plate.
care to explain, in short what CDI and Non CDI are?

I may need your assistance with this one.

How about the OKADA Plasma Direct coils?

They look very neat.. but not sure if it is a CDI or non CDI?

I've got a Tomei metal cover so, preferable all underneath unseen. and the Okada looks like a straight swap… where as the Spoolinup looks like it has a weird looking tray and stuck together… id probably try and avoid that design

Last edited by wowzers; Oct 2, 2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by osetsky
There are also numerous how to's for making a set yourself.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lug-setup.html
Like that one! Super easy, cost me 60$ for parts at a wrecker.
That looks awesome but I'm kinda lazy.

id rather pay $600 and not worry about it than spend $60 and make it up.

lol i do appreciate the suggestion though.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That looks awesome but I'm kinda lazy.

id rather pay $600 and not worry about it than spend $60 and make it up.

lol i do appreciate the suggestion though.
buy plug and play from spoolin up , you do not need cdi or associated 2k crap
Old Oct 2, 2014, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Just buy the standard SpoolinUp COP, should be around $300 bucks. Shipping might be kind of expensive for you though. But all in all it's totally worth it
Old Oct 2, 2014, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Buy spoolinup non cdi new cop kit
Old Oct 2, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
care to explain, in short what CDI and Non CDI are?

I may need your assistance with this one.

How about the OKADA Plasma Direct coils?

They look very neat.. but not sure if it is a CDI or non CDI?

I've got a Tomei metal cover so, preferable all underneath unseen. and the Okada looks like a straight swap… where as the Spoolinup looks like it has a weird looking tray and stuck together… id probably try and avoid that design
Okada is a non cdi. it basically replaces the stock coils which is 1 coil for 2 cylinders not a coil-on-plug setup. IMO coil-on-plug is superior to the stock setup since you have individual coils per cylinder. spoolin-up has a cop setup that can go underneath the cover.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
Okada is a non cdi. it basically replaces the stock coils which is 1 coil for 2 cylinders not a coil-on-plug setup. IMO coil-on-plug is superior to the stock setup since you have individual coils per cylinder. spoolin-up has a cop setup that can go underneath the cover.

I think the main reason you dont see a major hp difference with a cop kit is that although these kits do retrofit individual coils for each cylinder, its still using the same waste spark setup. The nice benefit is smoother driveability and you are able to gap your plugs wider.

I purchased the used coil kit from spoolinup back in 2010 or so. Same coils to this day, Im making 340 hp/350 ft lbs on a low reading dyno dynamics at 26 psi on E85. Spark plugs are ngk br8ES gapped at .029", which is how they come packaged. Ive experimented evertything from .024" to .030". I just kept going a bit bigger to see how much I could get away with. No issues with spark blowout or misfires with this large gap, so I keep them at .029". Go big or go home.

Oh ya, and with the spoolinup kit, changing spark plugs is really fast compared to the oem setup.

Last edited by TommiM; Oct 2, 2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
I think the main reason you dont see a major hp difference with a cop kit is that although these kits do retrofit individual coils for each cylinder, its still using the same waste spark setup. The nice benefit is smoother driveability and you are able to gap your plugs wider.

I purchased the used coil kit from spoolinup back in 2010 or so. Same coils to this day, Im making 340 hp/350 ft lbs on a low reading dyno dynamics at 26 psi on E85. Spark plugs are ngk br8ES gapped at .029", which is how they come packaged. Ive experimented evertything from .024" to .030". I just kept going a bit bigger to see how much I could get away with. No issues with spark blowout or misfires with this large gap, so I keep them at .029". Go big or go home.

Oh ya, and with the spoolinup kit, changing spark plugs is really fast compared to the oem setup.
Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
Originally Posted by todd6027
buy plug and play from spoolin up , you do not need cdi or associated 2k crap

Hi Guys,

i really appreciate your prompt responses. I am finding it very helpful.

Looks like Spoolinup is the way to go.

The Okada isn't cheap aswell… its advertised as $800.

So far, i am understanding correctly,
The OEM set up is a non-CDI i gather?
The CDI set ups sold cannot be installed under the plank plug cover?
CDI are easily installed?

it appears the Non CDI for EVOs are about HALF the price of CDI.

is it really worth every penny for the CDI?

and what are the difficulties with installing it, is it a simple plug and play that anyone can install?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

the oem uses a waste spark setup, firing 2 coils at a time, one coil firing the compression stroke of that cylinder, while the other is firing on the exhaust stroke of another cylinder. Since the spark that fires on the exhaust stroke doesnt do anything, thats why its called wasted spark.

The spoolinup kit fits underneath the oem cover piece. There are kits that dont fit under them so just make sure you get that ones that do, if thats a concern.
The kit installs really easy, 2 screws and 2 connections and you got access to all 4 of your plugs.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
the oem uses a waste spark setup, firing 2 coils at a time, one coil firing the compression stroke of that cylinder, while the other is firing on the exhaust stroke of another cylinder. Since the spark that fires on the exhaust stroke doesnt do anything, thats why its called wasted spark.

The spoolinup kit fits underneath the oem cover piece. There are kits that dont fit under them so just make sure you get that ones that do, if thats a concern.
The kit installs really easy, 2 screws and 2 connections and you got access to all 4 of your plugs.
I see,

So what are your recommendations for Spoolinup?

non - CDI - $490

or

CDI - $1099

?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

So does the CDI version do away with the wasted spark style of firing order, or does it keep it. I was always confused about that.

Wasted spark can be a PITA because you might have a miss fire on #3, but it's actually because #1 has been toasted. You live, you learn though, oh well!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

I see,

So what are your recommendations for Spoolinup?

non - CDI - $490

or

CDI - $1099

?

IMHO, if you have money to blow and/or have a high hp evo, then get the cdi.
If your like most of us on here, the non cdi is just fine.

I couldnt justify the price difference $490 vs $1099. To me its a no brainer, NON-cdi ftw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition coil upgrade