Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Haven't Modded my Evo for 4 years... What's new since then?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't Modded my Evo for 4 years... What's new since then?

Hey everyone,

So, I bought my IX new in 2006 and put a few mods on it. Since 2009, I have just been daily driving the car and enjoying it. But that recently changed when I installed an ETS 3.5" intercooler on the car. Now, I've got the taste of modding again.

So, I've got 2 questions:

1. Back in 2009, I was tuned by Tobz out here in the Denver Colorado area. Does anyone know who the reputable tuners are out here now? Any suggestions?

2. Back in 2009, the CBRD BBK full was the stock frame turbo of choice for a daily driver. Is that still the case, or is there another, newer, turbo out there that performs better.

Thanks for your input and it's good to be back!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FP recently came out with some sick turbos with a stainless steel o2 housing which is nice because you can run external wastegate and dump but you will also need a new downpipe but you can use the OEM style manifold.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:06 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
oct 10 2009 tehpramod v7 came out. Its a free custom rom that adds a whole mess of really nice things to the stock ECU. Adding features that you usually need a stand alone to get. Some examples are launch maps, Gear dependent boost control, AFR safety monitoring, Valet mode, etc etc. There are also Speed density versions of the roms so you can convert your car to run SD still using the stock computer. Its worth checking out over on the ecuflash subforum.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply, you guys.

Slowsrt4: Are the new turbos you're talking about the FP Zero and Zephyr? I read about those, but I don't want to go v-band. That being said, I heard that FP... or HTA... released a new stock frame turbo that is bolt-in. Do you have any more information on that?

Biggiesacks: Thanks for the info on tephramod v7. I started reading the thread on it and am still totally underwater! This topic should keep me busy for a LONG time.

As always, I'm interested in hearing people suggestions or experiences... especially with do-it-all turbos good for daily driving and the occasional HPDE or Auto-x.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of the evo community has gone "HELLAGAY" on us and we now have an influx of evos scraping ground with -14 camber...sad sad sad.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
A lot of the evo community has gone "HELLAGAY" on us and we now have an influx of evos scraping ground with -14 camber...sad sad sad.
As a former Honda guy who left the community for that reason, I'm sad to hear things are moving this way with Evos
Old Oct 7, 2014, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the fp turbo you should look into if wanting to stick stock frame is the fp black. with the new o2 housing its hardly stock frame anymore, and with the price tag as well as needing a wg and new dp you may as well just go t3.

as far as tuners go, mellon racing went under, but has resurfaced, and i think went back under again because i have not heard from them recently. i would look into tcompuse.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 08:48 PM

Other ef4 turbo is good.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 09:40 PM

So true
Old Oct 8, 2014, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I been seeing stuff about "stanced" evos with crazy offset wheels and a bunch of camber to clear them....

So, does anybody run smaller stock frame turbos anymore? Lately, it seems like most guys are running "big" stock frame turbos. I was looking at the FP Green, or the BBK-B. I don't drag race much, other than a for-fun test and tune night out at Bandimere. Really, I'm more into autocross and NASA HPDE. So, I want something that spools fast and I don't need a huge amount of power.

That's another thing... I got fuel injectors back in 2007. In those days, my 750cc injectors were considered large-ish and 1000cc injectors were HUGE and had drivability problems. I've noticed a lot of guys running injectors way bigger than that now. Has there been an improvement in technology so that you guys can run those big injectors without idle or daily drivability problems?

Thanks for all your input, by the way. I feel like I'm slowly catching up.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lumpskie
Yeah, I been seeing stuff about "stanced" evos with crazy offset wheels and a bunch of camber to clear them....

So, does anybody run smaller stock frame turbos anymore? Lately, it seems like most guys are running "big" stock frame turbos. I was looking at the FP Green, or the BBK-B. I don't drag race much, other than a for-fun test and tune night out at Bandimere. Really, I'm more into autocross and NASA HPDE. So, I want something that spools fast and I don't need a huge amount of power.

That's another thing... I got fuel injectors back in 2007. In those days, my 750cc injectors were considered large-ish and 1000cc injectors were HUGE and had drivability problems. I've noticed a lot of guys running injectors way bigger than that now. Has there been an improvement in technology so that you guys can run those big injectors without idle or daily drivability problems?

Thanks for all your input, by the way. I feel like I'm slowly catching up.
Tons of injector improvements. FIC has a lot of great 1000+CC injectors and all the competent tuners can get you dialed in. Those of us on E85 are running 1000 or bigger with no problems. I'm running 2000cc myself.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

^Is the point of the larger injector just to keep the duty cycle lower? (maybe because so many people are running e85 now?)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lumpskie
^Is the point of the larger injector just to keep the duty cycle lower? (maybe because so many people are running e85 now?)
The larger injector gives you room for so many options since yes it does keep your IDC lower. E85 being one of the most popular options since it requires a high volume of fuel. Any of the popular injectors have been tried and tested to work great under any circumstance so when replacing them many people get big ones to not have to worry about changing them again. If you go high impedance you need to remove the injector resistor box. If you stay low impedance like factory injectors you still use the factory box. I have the 1450s and they are one of the biggest low impedance injectors you can get and the car runs great with plenty of head room for more power especially with the double pumper.

As far as stock frame turbos they are still very popular. I have the HTA green and love it. Spool is the same or maybe even better than stock since im 2.4L. Many people now do a fp green, red, or black. Then add some 1450cc injecors, fuel pump or double pumper. FMIC w/piping, intake and cams. If you go with a slightly aggressive cam (s2, s3) you can help out where the smaller turbo starts to die out up top. Depending on if you are on 93 or e85 this type of setup will put you in the 450hp range typically. Most people go past just the basic bolt ons now and do something like this. Still a pretty stockish car but way more power. Don't forget you will need a clutch to hold that power though.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sad truth... I'm so tempted to quote that and put it in my sig
Old Oct 8, 2014, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well for starters, a 600hp evo is no longer impressive lol

Quick Reply: Haven't Modded my Evo for 4 years... What's new since then?