Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drip molding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drip molding

Anybody know the what type of paint to use to mimic the same finish for the drip/roof molding? Mine is worn, paint chipping off and exposing the metallic like color which is a huge eye sore and i hate looking at it.

Anybody think this is even a good idea, or should i just purchase a new one which goes for about $90-$105 per side. Shipping not included, which is another $18-$144.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
If you are talking about the rain gutter trim that runs the length of the car I am kind of wondering the same thing. I plan on pulling mine this spring and sanding and painting it all black again. I figure pulling and painting is cheap and if it doesn't work then I'll pony up for the new ones. If you do decide to paint it, please post some before and after pictures so I can see how it turns out.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:42 AM

I thought of doing same.. So started to remove the "black" which is like a plastic coating.. Problem is after I removed some the inner side sticks up and looks awful.. It's rubber there and it's what creates the seal.. Anyways.. I just gave up and replaced them.. I tried getting new ones from online dealers.. Yes they are cheap, but then the dealer called me and said they can't ship them ups.. So frieght was the only option and shipping was a 100$.. Smh.. So I instead went to a local reputable body shop that happens to do a lot of insurance work, they get parts same price from dealer, he ordered them for me and only charged me like 50 extra bucks.. Was my cheapest option, and well worth it IMO.. Now this was for the roof, if your talking about the the door drip mouldings then it's pretty much same.. I replaced those and got them online, prices were decent, with all the mouldings replaced the exterior looks so much nicer and you forget the car is already 10+ yrs old.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the insight. I still may give it a try seeing as it won't cost anything but a little time but I could certainly see it coming out ****ty. Do you remember how much the roof and door molding ran you by chance? I priced it at the dealer and they are looking for $145 a side for the roof and $75 a door if I remember correctly.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 06:02 AM

I got my parts from http://www.partswebsite.com/cherryhilltriplex/
Originally my order was like 384$ shipped to New Mexico.. But they couldn't ship roof mouldings via ups.. So just for my door drip mouldings and a few misc screws I paid 185$ shipped to NM.. They are 40 bucks a door.. Which doesn't make sense now that I look at reciept because that and the misc items costed the 185.. And says 22$ shipping.. But I think they felt bad they couldn't ship me the roof mouldings and hooked me up.. *shrug* the local paint shop charged me like 230 for roof mouldings.. still cheaper then online dealer + freight..

But try painting them.. Maybe like a with some plastidip.. I'd try using the crinkled kinda paint.. Or rhino liner paint to give a little texture.. If you do it post some pics.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this is the part your talking about..I'm looking to replace mine on the roof also:

Discountmitsubishiparts.com

http://www.partswebsite.com/courtesy...imagecallout=9

Drip molding, Drip molding Left
W/sunroof ROOF »Exterior trimMitsubishi › Lancer evolution › 2003-2005List Price : $114.16
Your Price : $91.33

I'm sure shipping will be the killer part..
Old Jan 7, 2015, 07:54 AM

I'm pretty sure cherry Hill is a few bucks cheaper.. May be good to see where the dealer is located.. What ever online dealer is closest to you may be a better option too.. Might save some dough on shipping.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 07:58 AM

I was just giving a option..
Old Jan 7, 2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
I was just giving a option..
I didn't mean to come off as if my site was a better choice lol, my bad.. Just wanted to point it out, but as I was writing it I also thought the difference in pricing doesn't matter, the shipping is what eats your pocket sometimes..
Old Jan 7, 2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bigclur
I didn't mean to come off as if my site was a better choice lol, my bad.. Just wanted to point it out, but as I was writing it I also thought the difference in pricing doesn't matter, the shipping is what eats your pocket sometimes..
haha..its all good man ..ya..tell me about it..I bought like $6.00 dollars in parts out east recently and it ended up cost me $19.00 altogether...Shipping bit me in the butt.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 03:57 PM

Yea i tried ordering from discountmitsubishi, only to have them email me back telling me the parts are to big to ship on via ups. Theyre from the eastcoast i believe. I agree your best bet is to buy new from a local dealership. My local dealership is charging around $180 perside. :0

Thinking about just painting over the metallic where its peeling to see how that turns out, i cant imagine restoring the old one turning out very well for me being that i do not have any experience in stripping/painting.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

i have used this on grand nationals with black trim.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...-L._SY355_.jpg
then you have to polish it to get it to match. prepping and masking is easily as important as product on stuff like this
Attached Thumbnails Drip molding-61ld8hnei-l._sy355_.jpg  
Old Jan 9, 2015, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All online vendors i've tried to order these parts from so far tell me they are unable to ship them...Bummer.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I painted mines...they come out good but the biggest pita is removing the rubbery original ****...take your time and it'll be good...I went to the dealer for the clips and they had no idea what goes where...all they could tell me was the total amount of clips it needs...i wish someone would tell me how many clips of each I need for each side and what goes where...the previous owner silicones the damn thing on there and since I couldn't get any answers I did the same...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, my local dealer quoted me $145 per side. I figured at that price I could try to paint them 3 or 4 times to get it right without ever getting close to that cost. I can certainly see removing the old stuff as key. I think I might try like some paint stripper or something with a little sandpaper/steel wool to clean them and them prep and spray just like anything else.

Quick Reply: Drip molding