Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drip molding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Didn't want to create a new thread, but does anyone know the number of clips required to replace both drip molding clips? There also seem to be different color clips, are these different and require different quantities as well?

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...s_mr520850.htm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by SW20Mike
Didn't want to create a new thread, but does anyone know the number of clips required to replace both drip molding clips? There also seem to be different color clips, are these different and require different quantities as well?

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...s_mr520850.htm
I can find this info out after work today. There are yellow, white and purple clips under the drip moldings. My car is in the body shop right now so I have them out at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
SW20Mike (May 2, 2018)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
There are 7 on each side in the colors Kevin stated. 1, 2 and 4 of each color. Can't remember which but aside from the difference in color the clips look exactly the same.
SW20Mike (May 2, 2018)
Old May 8, 2018, 01:14 PM

Front

Rear

Roof

What was still thwrw when my drip molding was pulled off

Close up of gray clips. Look the same as yellow and purple.

Gray clips on rear

Yellow clips on front
SW20Mike (May 13, 2018)
Old May 8, 2018, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
This is the best stuff for trim. And is just about a 100% match

Kevin. (May 8, 2018)
Old May 8, 2018, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by wht95scort
This is the best stuff for trim. And is just about a 100% match
this is perfect. I saved my old drip molding to paint instead of buying new. That price is too much for something you could take care of yourself. Thank you
Old May 11, 2018, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced mine.
I had to replace a wheel bearing/hub assembly, which I ordered with the drip moldings from STM. Over $300 order was free shipping so the drip moldings only came out to about $90/side, not too bad.
I don't see how you could refinish worn out moldings without making them look like *** since they are covered in rubber.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
So just to clarify, are there clips on the drip molding and separate clips that mount on the body of the vehicle? Just wanting to replace everything, as I'm sure all of it is cracked and falling apart due to age and weather.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cool_as_crap
I just replaced mine.
I had to replace a wheel bearing/hub assembly, which I ordered with the drip moldings from STM. Over $300 order was free shipping so the drip moldings only came out to about $90/side, not too bad.
I don't see how you could refinish worn out moldings without making them look like *** since they are covered in rubber.
Betweeen the rubber sides is a chrome finish. Remove factory paint, which seems to have once been powder coating, and paint black. Condition rubber with product.

Originally Posted by SW20Mike
So just to clarify, are there clips on the drip molding and separate clips that mount on the body of the vehicle? Just wanting to replace everything, as I'm sure all of it is cracked and falling apart due to age and weather.
I am unsure as mine had many broken clips as it was removed for paint, not by myself. They may go on the molding and clip on but something tells me from just looking at it, they clip the pillars first then push the molding on.
cool_as_crap (May 15, 2018)
Old May 14, 2018, 01:44 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
its one clip (actually a few different kinds, but one per position) that holds the molding to the roof. One side of the clip slides into the rubber and the other clips onto the roof. If im not mistaken, new moldings should also come with all new clips.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
installing moldings

I have exactly the same scenario as the above pics. The moldings come with those white plastic wing looking clips and they slide around and can be adjusted. The car has mostly the other oval clips. A couple are busted, but the moldings did not come with them. I asked specifically for any clips, but I didn't really know what I was buying because I hadn't removed the old one yet.

Now I have repainted the vortex piece, reinstalled antenna, and cleaned everything, but I am unsure of how the two different clips actually marry together. Push down? Slide in?
Old Nov 29, 2020, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
answering my own question in case it helps anyone else. Some more research today shows that the key to understanding this mounting is to know (or remember) that the clips mounted on the body and the ones in the moulding do NOT mate. They are next to each other or seperate. So that the wing like ones function on their own, and the colored ones snapped onto the body function on their own as well.

STM has good pics of what is needed where.

There are also indexes on the moulding on the underside that notch where the wing like clips should be located. Those are the correct locations, and they will be next to the body mounted oval clips.

This Video gives you a decent overview of the clip functions, even though its not an Evo.

Kevin. (Oct 17, 2023)
Old Dec 1, 2020, 09:24 AM

From what I've heard, these drip moldings are back in stock and no longer discontinued.
TME876 (Feb 4, 2021)
Old Jan 28, 2021, 08:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin.
From what I've heard, these drip moldings are back in stock and no longer discontinued.
Yeah, just called my local dealer and they're available.
​​​​
TME876 (Feb 4, 2021)