Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Battery predicament

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Battery predicament

Hi all. I have an Odyssey PC680 right now, and its basically DEAD. Even when I put it on the charger, it reads 0-5%. So I need a new battery...but the problem is, the battery tray is very small, it's specficially made for the PC680. If I were to get a larger tray to try and fit an Optima Redtop battery or just even a larger battery, the intake piping is in the way because it is that close to the battery tray. So do I do a battery reloc to the trunk and go through all of that trouble, or is there a way you guys made a larger battery tray fit without interferring with the intake piping? I can upload pics to give you an idea on how close the fitment is. I'm really trying to avoid the relocation, I just want a bigger battery with high CCA's, being my car will become my daily when the winter is over, and will be driving it daily in the winter from now on.

Thanks - Jake
Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you mean to say intake pipe or upper intercooler pipe? If you're referring to the UICP, which brand do you have?

You could probably go with an English Racing "mini" battery kit which uses a miata battery. This battery seems to be the best of both worlds for people who want to use a short-route UICP but still want a stock-like battery.

http://www.shopenglishracing.com/Eng...ttery-Kit.html
(Their website doesn't tell you which battery it's made for, but I emailed them recently, and they told me it comes with a miata battery)

The only other option I know of is the UICP and battery tray kit that CBRD makes (used with stock battery)
http://www.cbrdspeedfactory.com/cbrd...-battery-tray/

Last edited by nirvancol; Feb 27, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by nirvancol
Did you mean to say intake pipe or upper intercooler pipe? If you're referring to the UICP, which brand do you have?

You could probably go with an English Racing "mini" battery kit which uses a miata battery. This battery seems to be the best of both worlds for people who want to use a short-route UICP but still want a stock-like battery.

http://www.shopenglishracing.com/Eng...ttery-Kit.html
(Their website doesn't tell you which battery it's made for, but I emailed them recently, and they told me it comes with a miata battery)

The only other option I know of is the UICP and battery tray kit that CBRD makes (used with stock battery)
http://www.cbrdspeedfactory.com/cbrd...-battery-tray/
Sorry, I meant the UICP! I think it is Buschur, because the FMIC and everything else is basically his products as well. Here is the pic I took to give you a general idea on how tight the fitment is.
Battery predicament-img_0449.jpg

Battery predicament-img_0451.jpg

Thank you for the links, although I have measured the dimensions in the engine bay and decided to go with a Odyssey PC1100. It will be a very tight fit, But I beleive I can make it work.

Will update asap.

Thanks - Jake
Old Mar 2, 2015, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

I relocated my battery to the trunk so I'm not limited to a certain battery size. I run a Red Top Optima. It really cleans up and opens up the engine bay and disperses some weight to the rear.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:59 AM

How hard was that? I really didnt want to run into that route, but if this battery doesnt fit (which it should according to my measurements) then I have no other option but to do a relocation to the trunk.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

I had a car stereo shop do it. Took a couple hours labor.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Rear mount battery is not legal with out a shut off switch for most drag racing. If it's just a street car then it won't matter.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 09:51 AM

I don't think she will seeing the track anytime soon, still trying to get rid of all the bugs the previous owner left for me :/