Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice on evo purchase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on evo purchase

I'm trying to buy my first evo and I came across a 2005 Evo 8 with ~110k on it for $15K. I've read around and people say around 12k to 15k would be appropriate for a 100k+ evo. According to the post it has some mods to it. Directly copy and pasted from the AD and here is the direct link https://abilene.craigslist.org/ctd/4944259009.html

**Recently tuned by Evolution Dynamics in DFW-*HAVE RECIEPTS
-HKS 280/280 Exhaust and Intake Cams
-MAP Tuned for 93 octane.
-AEM Wideband with o2 sensor
-Autometer Boost Guage
New Evo 9 Adjustable Wastegate actuator-
-New Grimm Speed Boost controller-Set @ 24 psi
-EGR Block of and Vac clean up.
-Aftermarket Intake-
-3 " Catback Exhaust
-Megan Racing Dual Core Radiator
-Triple Core Front Mount Intercooler and Piping
-ACT Stg 2 Race Clutch-Noisy
-Intercooler Sprayer
-Brembo Brake system
-Eibach Lowering Springs
-Billstein shocks/struts
Runs and Drives Great and Quick
AC just stopped working after adjusting idle-Heater works

Just looking for people's opinions on it before I try to buy. I would much rather get one with low miles but this seems to be the best deal at the moment, haven't had much luck finding a cheapish evo. Thanks for your time.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there asking for to much in my opinion or at least I'd say their wanting to get top dollar based off kelly blue book. When I wanted to buy my evo I own now I knew I didnt want to buy one that was modded a whole bunch; Whats a whole bunch considered, opinions differ but I'd say this car your looking at would be considered to me to be to modded. Although my evo was modded when I bought it it was an exhaust rims and a few interior parts, plus the guy was in his 50's and definitly not abusing the car. Do you know who owned the car previously as it looks like it's at a dealership? was it a 22 year old kid ragging it out, who knows. I know I probably would pass on this unless you could get it for 12k and if you could take the car to a shop and see if there are any issues with it and if it has what kind of tune on it. I'm sure others will chime in and say its priced right or may agree with me but as your thread says your just wanting peoples opinions and this is mine. good luck
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
What bugs me is the dealership thing. You will get a much better deal PP. They likely bought the EVO for 12K or so or less & with a little cleanup & the rest is potential profit. The mods dont really add value. Miles are a bit high
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:07 PM

With a 100k + mile Evo you need to consider whether or not they did the 90k maintenance on it too. The first thing that I would do to any "new" Evo is get the timing, balance shaft and serpentine belts replaced, change the water pump and do the fluids unless the seller explicitly says they got this done. I wouldn't pay more than 13k for that car either. There are a lot of cars on this site that come up every day with sellers willing to split shipping. Best rule of thumb in car buying for yourself is to be patient
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I think im just gonna take the advice and skip over on this one and wait for that perfect one, if its possible lol. Been looking around on the site and found some good ones. I just don't trust buying a car from someone when I cant physically check it out, it'll be tough but I might just have to get over it if I ever want a good evo :P
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by hheemmpp
Thanks for the reply guys. I think im just gonna take the advice and skip over on this one and wait for that perfect one, if its possible lol. Been looking around on the site and found some good ones. I just don't trust buying a car from someone when I cant physically check it out, it'll be tough but I might just have to get over it if I ever want a good evo :P

That's what I'm going through at the moment. Asking for videos, pics and info on the car is never going to turn a seller away. Out in Abilene, you'll probably be forced to buy out of state since you're WAY out there haha
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
There are better deals out there.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 04:29 PM

asking way too much, I bough my evo 9 with 70k original miles, built besides the block putting down 500whp. 1 owner not a spot of rust and never even seen rain. I paid 19k