Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2003 EVO 8 fan control and sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 EVO 8 fan control and sunroof problem

Hi there,

( First of all, sorry for some grammar and verb problem, im french canadian )

I went to Mitsubishi 'cause I win our local contest of "showroom" and i got 750$ to put in my baby. So i do all the exterior and interior clean up and bling bling

I do a lot couple of things too and i ask them to repair the temperature control button at the left 'cause it was reaaallllllyyy difficult to turn, so this fall, i broke the button. Thet said it was pretty dirty in there and they can't just clean it except if they get out the whole package ang it's like a 8 hours job.... WTF ?!?!?!?!

Did you guys had already this problem with your car ? and how you clean it without getting all out and clean the parts that make the temperature and A/C. It's not the wire after the button. It's at the (i don't know the english name) of the A/C motor that control temperature... i think... damn french

And my second problem is the sunroof... the motor still work but he run but nothings happens.... like if he missing a part that push the roof out. AND the dealer can't just ask a piece number from the sunroof..... it's all the package or nothing.... and the package is like 550$ SO I try to find a part out car with the sunroof... but don't found yet.... Do you have any suggestions for me... Maybe i will just don't use my sunroof anymore.... In fact, I buy it from USA and he was not working since that time.

Thanks guys
Old May 14, 2015, 07:04 AM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
HVAC - new wire among other things found in this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ega-guide.html

sunroof- Pull the headliner down in the rear, over the rear seat. You don't have to remove it from the car, just lower it in the rear enough, to get at the motor. You'll see the 10mm bolts that hold the sunroof motor to the gear, have come loose. Slowly tighten the bolts, and you'll be back in business. Be careful that the teeth on the motor, and the teeth on the rails line up.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks very interesting

for THIS piece in the red circle... is this a EVO 100% part or can i found it in another lancer car of another year ? 'cause the dealer only sell the WHOLE AC kit for 1500$$$$ i don't want to spend all this money...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 06:37 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbolution
Hi there,

( First of all, sorry for some grammar and verb problem, im french canadian )

I went to Mitsubishi 'cause I win our local contest of "showroom" and i got 750$ to put in my baby. So i do all the exterior and interior clean up and bling bling

I do a lot couple of things too and i ask them to repair the temperature control button at the left 'cause it was reaaallllllyyy difficult to turn, so this fall, i broke the button. Thet said it was pretty dirty in there and they can't just clean it except if they get out the whole package ang it's like a 8 hours job.... WTF ?!?!?!?!

Did you guys had already this problem with your car ? and how you clean it without getting all out and clean the parts that make the temperature and A/C. It's not the wire after the button. It's at the (i don't know the english name) of the A/C motor that control temperature... i think... damn french

Thanks guys
The HVAC thing is a classic evo problem. The root problem is there is no in cabin air filter, and the blend door inside the airbox gets dirty and hard to move. This has a chain effect of making the operating rod (cable) bend and jam. If you crank on that plastic knob hard enough it will snap off. You cannot just replace the knob you have to deal with the root problem of the sticking blend door. Which requires removal of the airbox and cleaning/replacing of some parts. I have done this job myself and it takes alot of time. You can actually reach up under the dash and manually adjust the blend door in a pinch until you get it fixed.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The business about the cabin air filter from the TSB. So, I bought a new blend door and was in the process of removing the dash when I got to looking at the original levers on the side of the heater box and called the dealer asking if they had the updated design levers. They did.

After installing the updated levers, I decided function was good enough. That was a number of years ago and function remains the same.

I make a point of not parking under trees where debris can enter the windshield base vents and kept the replacement blend door if ever needed. So, my advice would be to replace the levers first. If that doesn't do it then replace the blend door and add a cabin filter.