Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

blue and black smoke

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
blue and black smoke

I bought an MR a couple of weeks ago from a forum member. Car has light mods. Somebody at work told me the other day that they saw blue smoke coming out of my exhaust while I was idling in the garage, then later while I was at wot, they saw black smoke. I just checked my receipt from a very recent oil change and the mitsu dealer put friggin 0w-20 in my car! Im assuming this is what caused the blue smoke. Im going there tomorrow to have them change it out. Could any damage have been done running on this oil? Ive been driving around like this for about three weeks and definitely have not gone easy on the car.
Old May 21, 2015, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
IMO, you need to do a full check on the car, all liquids and a compression check
Old May 21, 2015, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all I would not allow that dealer to do my oil change after that mistake. That is just plain stupidity. If you live in an extreme cold environment I could see them doing 5w30 per the owners manual. Blue smoke is oil and black smoke is fuel. I personally would not worry about running a little rich unless it is excessive black smoke.
Id pop off the intake and check turbo for shaft play and go from there. Compression test is not a bad idea either. Hope it all works out for you, GL.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like roach said, black fuel is basically you just running rich so as long as it isn't excessive you'll be fine. But definitely check all the oils and all that because the wrong oil could and most likely will mess things up a lot.
Old May 22, 2015, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roach85
First of all I would not allow that dealer to do my oil change after that mistake. That is just plain stupidity. If you live in an extreme cold environment I could see them doing 5w30 per the owners manual. Blue smoke is oil and black smoke is fuel. I personally would not worry about running a little rich unless it is excessive black smoke.
Id pop off the intake and check turbo for shaft play and go from there. Compression test is not a bad idea either. Hope it all works out for you, GL.
If there is shaft play, could it be that itself causing the blue smoke or is that the crappy oil caused the shaft play which caused the blue smoke
Old May 22, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Change the oil ASAP and see how that affects it. You are running rich at WOT, get a tune.
Have someone start the car for you in the morning while you look at the exhaust. If you have blue smoke coming out it could be because your valve seals are goin out. Check the turbo for play also.
Old May 22, 2015, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Went back to the dealer to find out what the deal is. I told them how the receipt says 0w-20. They bring out the mechanic and he tells me heck no, thats an evo, i put 10w-30 in it. They go on to explain to me that maybe it has something to do with the oil additives. I call bs and try to replicate the smoke but cant. The mechanic comes highly recommended and he does seem honest from what Ive dealt with him about, but Im still suspicious. I had no proof so couldnt get a refund or anything. I will have to figure it out myself
Old May 22, 2015, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I would call bull**** and say that since the only written document you have states 0-20 that unless they can prove otherwise that it is 0-20. If you actually have some damage you could get the oil analyzed to prove the weight and then use that against them. Think ahead in case something serious goes wrong.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pistons4550
If there is shaft play, could it be that itself causing the blue smoke or is that the crappy oil caused the shaft play which caused the blue smoke
I was throwing it out there because you were burning oil. I do not know the exact specific oil requirements for an OEM turbo. So I was not necessarily blaming the oil. Id be me worried about my engine on 0w20 then my turbo. Turbo rebuild kit is $50, engine rebuild is much more depending on what route you go.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
Change the oil ASAP and see how that affects it. You are running rich at WOT, get a tune.
Have someone start the car for you in the morning while you look at the exhaust. If you have blue smoke coming out it could be because your valve seals are goin out. Check the turbo for play also.
If you know what you are smelling for also take a sniff. Burning oil as opposed to coolant have a very different scent.

Last edited by roach85; May 22, 2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: .
Old May 22, 2015, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
0-20 while not great isn't going to cause you to burn oil, you may burn a little more because its a slightly thinner oil --but if you had a problem before the 0-20 will simply make it more pronounced. Its not like your on the track or its 100 yet in FLA--so let it go. The oil is still fresh and hasn't had an opportunity to lose its ability to do its job. Change it out and move on. You really should have had someone look the car over before you bought it- but I digress. Good luck.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely do a thorough check!