Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brakes won't stop squeeling!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes won't stop squeeling!!!

About a month ago I bought new rotors and pads all the way around. I bought Powerslot slotted rotors and matched them with stoptech posiquiet ceramic brake pads. The front brakes have been fine since the beginning. However, I have had SEVERE noise coming from the rear. I have tried grease, silver antisize, and CRC brake quiet on the pads (back, sides, top and bottom), pins, and top clip without any success. I finally broke down and bought a set of regular duralast pads from autozone and put them on with the CRC brake quiet and still the noise persists. I have had my wheels off every weekend for months now and I just cant seem to figure out why this noise persists. If you have any information that might be useful please let me know.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you bed the new rotors? Is it a constant noise or only when you're braking?

I had a similar problem with my first Evo after I had them changed out. It eventually went away.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 05:59 AM

It only happens when I brake. and its only coming from the rears, which is odd considering I changed everything all at once. I just don't know what else to do at this point but it's really annoying.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
welcome to racecar life. did u put the grease on the outside edges and not just the back?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:34 AM

Yes, I put CRC on the outside edges.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
What you are hearing is vibration and slotted rotors are not going to help. And, the rears are typically the noise makers.

I run magic pads, known for being quiet and yet some people install these and have the same complaint as you. Finally, I had one of the rears start making noise with my magic pads. Now, I always run the metal shims that came with the OEM pads and I think that is a large part of the secret of keeping brakes quiet. Other than that all I use is a smear of axle grease between the pad and the shim. Also, a little more where the piston hits the shim.

In the case of the above noisy rear brake, all I did was pull the pads and shims, cleaned them up and reapplied grease and noise gone.

Magic pads are zero aggressive. With more aggressive pads expect more noise.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 5, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:07 AM

How are the piston faces looking? They might not be holding the pads down like they should while braking, hence the noise.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 03:40 PM

sorry for the late reply. The piston faces look good I was sure to clean them thoroughly before reinstalling. I put a cheap set of Duralast pads on their now and the noise has reduced by a large ammount. Ill keep everyone updated as I keep messing around with it. Thanks for all the advice !
Old Jun 11, 2015, 09:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
What you are hearing is vibration and slotted rotors are not going to help. And, the rears are typically the noise makers.

I run magic pads, known for being quiet and yet some people install these and have the same complaint as you. Finally, I had one of the rears start making noise with my magic pads. Now, I always run the metal shims that came with the OEM pads and I think that is a large part of the secret of keeping brakes quiet. Other than that all I use is a smear of axle grease between the pad and the shim. Also, a little more where the piston hits the shim.

In the case of the above noisy rear brake, all I did was pull the pads and shims, cleaned them up and reapplied grease and noise gone.

Magic pads are zero aggressive. With more aggressive pads expect more noise.

Metal shims work well. I had a set of race pads( carbotech xp8) and they squealed like no other. Turned the stock rotors and installed some Ti shims with a little grease and 99% of the noise was gone with the same pads.

The only time it would make noise would be from 5mph-0 sometimes . Before it was any speed .

A proper bed in with fresh rotors is a must. The first time is the most important to exchange the material into the rotor.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
i just put a set of ds2500 ferado's on, and copper eazed the back and side and in between the shims, occastional squeek and thats about all. Don't sweat the squeals as long as your pads bite hard your doing well. I think copper grease is better in high temp conditions then any other grease and its cheap too.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the responses, I've been running a cheap set of Duralast's for the past week and I have been mostly noise free. I don't mind having the cheaper pads on the rear since most of the braking power comes from the front anyway. Still, what a PITA over some pads lol typical EVO issue.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the Posiquiets I have had the same issue with them for about a year now