Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

brake upgrade anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake upgrade anyone?

hi im on a tight budget so far,i found a powerstop brand drilled/slotted front & rear with pads for $331+ online..is this brand good upgrade for OEM? I heard about this brand along time ago for NA cars,but for a sports type of car like Evo's will it be fine?and what can you say about Hawk brand?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
brake upgrade anyone?

A good rotor/pad combo for regular street driving that's not to aggressive is centric premium blank rotors, and stop tech street performance pads. If you want to get fancy, you can upgrade to slotted rotors, but it's not really necessary.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
This may be something to look into http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...o-viii-ix.html
Hawks are good
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:20 AM

thanks guys,let me check those stuff..oh by the way im looking at this brand DBA 400 series kinda nice but it weight 45 lbs each,wont that be to have to have four of in on your wheels,just a thought
Old Jul 6, 2015, 01:55 PM

what is the reason for the 'upgrade'? are you tracking the car? replacing worn oem parts, etc?

oem blank rotors are by far the best bet, barring a real bbk [brembo, alcon, etc] with a properly designed 2 pc rotor [lighter, can grow axially with heat, better vaning design = better venting,etc]. i have giro's and they're a complete waste of $. yea i saved a cpl lbs per corner but really.. who cares? totally imperceivable.

pads can make a huge difference. typically more bite / force will give more noise and dust. for a street car, pretty hard to justify imo. i lol at guys with mega brakes and nanking all season tires. uhm.. all the brakes in the world don't do squat if you don't have the mechanical grip to exploit it. it's also why you do a bbk.. race tire = more grip = overworking stock brakes. hence a bbk to [essentially] dissipate more heat.

so get oem blanks [centric are cheap and good], flush with a good fluid [motul, or castorl srf if you wanna get fancy] and try a slightly more aggressive pad. i ran hawk hp+'s on an sti and liked them a lot. much more feel/bite than oem [subaru] and a bit noisy/dusty but not terrible. but pad opinions are like oil threads..

ps there's nothing 'fancy' about slotted or drilled rotors. a rotor is a heatsink - less material = less heatsinking. you will never see race cars with drilled rotors. straight slots are annoying because they 'pulse' the pedal as the slots sweep the pads. which is why fancy race brakes use funny shaped 'slots' - j hooks or squiggles - so the pedal isn't pulsed, which gives you less brake 'feel'. solid rotors ftw.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:42 AM

hello,the plan of upgrade is just replacing the oem,my rotors are below thickness,the previous owner didn't replace I guess,he was going to sell it anyway,why spend money....did saw a brembo rotors but its out of budget right now...I might check at rockauto.com I think they sell componets that reasonable price
Old Jul 11, 2015, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am in the same exact spot as you...my oem rotors need replacing so i have been searching around...looking at picking up the Centric Premium Rotors front and rear with HPS pads
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tougerallysport
hello,the plan of upgrade is just replacing the oem,my rotors are below thickness,the previous owner didn't replace I guess,he was going to sell it anyway,why spend money....did saw a brembo rotors but its out of budget right now...I might check at rockauto.com I think they sell componets that reasonable price
I agree w/ pretty much everything iin10ded said...

Buy some cheap Centric blanks and call it a day.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 05:37 PM

"Rockauto.com" try this one guys,i got mine here..got a pretty good deal..front and rear rotors w/pads $331 plus shipping..but it still a good deal heheh..hope you guys can find the component your looking for..later
Old Jul 13, 2015, 04:28 PM

stoptech +1
Old Jul 14, 2015, 03:24 PM

Just got it today,hopefully ill get it install nextweek on my dayoff
Attached Thumbnails brake upgrade anyone?-img_1303.jpg  

Last edited by tougerallysport; Jul 15, 2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:48 AM

why are you buying brakes for a new car? a rotor will give absolutely no improvement other than wallet lightening.

if you plan to track it, get pads. otherwise spend your money more wisely. i recommend hookers and blow.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rock Auto +1
Old Jul 15, 2015, 07:42 PM

Slight upgrade
Old Jul 16, 2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Becuz Evo9

Slight upgrade

NICE!!! im skiping the caliper upgrade though..but damn your setup is amazing...
I plan to put white lettering on my tires too,but I have kuhmo tires.lol heheh i'll wait it out till next year,im getting a better tires..im a michillen guy.heheh
ill post my finish set up,soon..again that's a nice mod's..later

Quick Reply: brake upgrade anyone?