Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is going catless worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Remote tuning man. There are a few on the forums here. Then all you need is $25-$35 SW and a $100 Logging/Flashing Cable. Tuner will be able to set you up with everything you need

Though in the scheme of EVO ownership $500 is peanuts for the single most important thing you can do to this car.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Though in the scheme of EVO ownership $500 is peanuts for the single most important thing you can do to this car.
This
Old Jul 8, 2015, 01:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
BoostedTuning.com
Old Jul 8, 2015, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump

Cheap mod good upgrade !
Old Jul 8, 2015, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Remote tuning man. There are a few on the forums here. Then all you need is $25-$35 SW and a $100 Logging/Flashing Cable. Tuner will be able to set you up with everything you need

X100000000

Why not wait until you do some other mods and then get tuned to make it worth your while.

To be fair 500 is a little on the high side to me.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have an invidia catless dp, tomei ti expreme test pipe, and tomei ti expreme catback....i love it and i don't regret a thing
Old Jul 11, 2015, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Well for one there's no cat in any Evo downpipe, so all Evo downpipe's are catless. But getting a test pipe, which replaces the catalytic converter, is a cheap mod that'll gain you power and free up some spool. Expect 10-15whp depending on other mods/boost.
Not true, Aussie Evo 9's have two cats, one in the normal place in the exhaust and one in the downpipe. The downpipe one can normally be removed by pouring it out onto the ground. I run a 100cel cat and have always wondered if there's much of a benefit in going to a test pipe. I've read on here (evom) that the difference between a 150cel cat and a test pipe is minimal, power output wise. I would imagine the difference between a 100cel cat and a test pipe to be even less, any thoughts?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Not true, Aussie Evo 9's have two cats, one in the normal place in the exhaust and one in the downpipe. The downpipe one can normally be removed by pouring it out onto the ground. I run a 100cel cat and have always wondered if there's much of a benefit in going to a test pipe. I've read on here (evom) that the difference between a 150cel cat and a test pipe is minimal, power output wise. I would imagine the difference between a 100cel cat and a test pipe to be even less, any thoughts?
I was referring to USDM Evo's. Anything outside the U.S. doesnt apply to me lol. I'm sure you'd pick up even a few hp by making the switch

Last edited by e_kobz; Jul 11, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a test pipe that came with my works system. to me, it was not worth it, only because of the check engine light/ terrible exhaust smell. I got headaches if I left it on for two weeks or more. it's good if it is a track car, or if you need it for racing, but since I daily drive it, it was a lot better for me just to go with the cat.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
I have a test pipe that came with my works system. to me, it was not worth it, only because of the check engine light/ terrible exhaust smell. I got headaches if I left it on for two weeks or more. it's good if it is a track car, or if you need it for racing, but since I daily drive it, it was a lot better for me just to go with the cat.
Should've done the spark plug fowler trick to get rid of the light. Or get it tuned. And the smell doesn't bother me cause I'm on E85, smells fantastic
Old Jul 12, 2015, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Should've done the spark plug fowler trick to get rid of the light. Or get it tuned. And the smell doesn't bother me cause I'm on E85, smells fantastic
Or disable in the ECU which is easy to do. I havent had a cat since forever and ever missed it. Smog time can be a bit challenging at times but as long as someone isn't looking for it, I pass fine.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Or disable in the ECU which is easy to do. I havent had a cat since forever and ever missed it. Smog time can be a bit challenging at times but as long as someone isn't looking for it, I pass fine.
When I said get it tuned I was referring to disabling it in the ecu. It's actually the first thing my tuner did lol. He looked at me and said "we won't be needing this anymore!"
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryley
In my IX gsr I currently have a 3" catback greddy exhaust, I'm thinking about getting this 3" invidia catless downpipe, but how much gains will I get? Is it worth it?
If you are driving the car on the street on any sort of a regular basis, you should have a cat on the car. Even if you don't care about global warming/climate change/whatever... air pollution is a very real thing and there is an absolutely massive difference in emissions between a good high flow cat and running completely catless.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 08:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Personally, I also think our cars sounds better with a cat. Wastegate dumps and open exhausts sound like crap, IMO.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Personally, I also think our cars sounds better with a cat. Wastegate dumps and open exhausts sound like crap, IMO.
I love the sound of a dump. So much in fast I needed one on my daily driven Evo X

Quick Reply: Is going catless worth it?