Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New to evo's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to evo's

I'm a soon-to-be college student, and a car enthusiast. I've been tossing around the idea of getting an evo 8, but i'm not sure what to look for. I don't see many around my area (tri-state, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio) and i'm not quite sure how to find one that hasn't had the **** beat out of it. Any tips? Also, are there any good shops in the area (Fort Wayne preferably) that know their way around an evo? Thanks for the help
Old Aug 8, 2015, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Soon to be college student? Unless you are independently wealthy... don't do it.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 08:50 PM

I have enough money to afford it, trust me. Not asking for financial advice here, just car advice.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:30 PM

I was in the same position as you a few months ago. The most important thing you need to know is that there will always be another Evo. If you're not confident in the one you're looking at, don't hesitate to let that one go and continue the search. There's a lot of good information on here regarding what specific things to look for when buying a used Evo, use it to your advantage. Paying a mechanic or person who knows what they're dealing with is definitely worth it, even more so for getting a compression/leak down test. Also, browse the classifieds on here for Evos for sale, regardless if its 1,000 miles away. Having a general idea of what's out there is definitely helpful (don't be afraid to travel across states for the perfect one!). Good luck with the hunt!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 04:08 PM

Read up here on the forums to get familiar with the basics of the evo modding game. It's going to be really hard to find a stock evo 8, but I am sure that there are plenty reasonably modded ones around. I would look for sellers that have documented all maintenance and services, at least you would have the peace of mind that the car has been taken care of.
As for your concern about owners beating the **** out of the car, its an evo, and they are meant to be driven hard. They can take the beating as long as they are maintained properly.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Stare
and i'm not quite sure how to find one that hasn't had the **** beat out of it.
Look at the brakes. If you are looking at a low mileage evo, the car should still be on stock pads and rotors. The oem brembo pads and rotors are very good and almost no one replaces them before their time unless they are setting the car up for track use.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 08:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely take the time to read up on the stickies and search around for specific answers to any questions you may have, this forum is built on years of knowledge and experience. The car isn't anymore difficult to take care of than most if you're keen on maintenance and willing to spend quality cash for quality parts (all of which are available from vendors on this forum!). If you have access to a decent range of tools and (hopefully) a lift, for when the time comes, then you're set. Happy hunting and welcome aboard!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Soon to be college student? Unless you are independently wealthy... don't do it.
I agree with this statement 100%
Old Aug 19, 2015, 09:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you just have to assume that everything your looking at has had the **** beat out of it. You will just have to evaluate the car based on its current condition. Pairing up with a knowledgeable evo shop to help determine the current condition of the car is going to be key in not buying a giant money pit. Most people remove mods and try to get the car as close to stock as they can when they are going to sell it, because its worth more that way.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by staticstance
I agree with this statement 100%
It ain't the purchase price, it's all the other stuff, like, oh, say, repairs and insurances that do a lot of folks in.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Let me ask you this what are you looking for out of the car.
but first thing first is try to find one as near to stock as you can