Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Newly built motor misfire at idle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newly built motor misfire at idle

I'm having an issue with my newly built 2.0 liter 4g63 on my 9. The motor currently has about 200 miles on it, so I'm still in the break in process. My check engine light is on. I'm reading a code for P0011 for mivec timing. Could this be related? I replaced the check valve, the oil feed isn't leaking, and the oil control valve is operating to spec. I think it could be the break in oil. Car runs fine in gear, moving, etc. At idle it will start to misfire and I will have to bloop the throttle to keep it alive so it doesn't stall. There are new (gsc s2) cams now but the car was tuned previously for similar size cams before and is set to idle at about 1100 rpms. The gas tank is leaking, I think it's just the pump since it was replaced and seems to only leak when full. Before anyone says anything about contacting the shop, I live 16 hours away since I moved and another shop will be tuning the car when the break in is done. I'm trying to get to the bottom of my problems before I get it tuned. Ideas?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like it--if its not tuned for the cams, then the mixture is off and could easily cause a misfire--or you got a bad coil as well , but first things first , fix the code.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't cleared or rechecked the codes since I replaced the check valve. I'm not having any mivec issues or noises so I'm working on it. I think the old cams were 272's vs my current gsc s2. It's hopefully just that. I also had an evo 8.5 turbo before and now have a 9 Turbo (long story.) Also this issue doesn't differ from outside temperature and although it's a bit worse during cold starts it happens both when the cars warmed up and when it just starts.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Any input guys?