Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New to me Evo IV

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me Evo IV

Hey all,

Finally decided to pick up an Evo IV project car, after many months of drooling over them!

New to me Evo IV-onlluqg.jpg
New to me Evo IV-xqn33fj.jpg

I picked it up relatively cheap, as it had spun a bearing. I'm going to pull the motor tomorrow and give it a look over, though right now I'm thinking new short block. The body and interior is in really good shape thankfully. And the previous owner is a friend of mine. Don't mind the hanging lip, a bolt was seized on it, and I just needed to loosen the front sides to get it on the car hauler.

I plan on using the IV as my winter toy, as my ISF will be going away for winter as soon as the IV is running.

I'll probably be creeping how-to posts on here for the time being. I am a mechanic (BMW/Audi/Mercedes), but I've never worked on Japanese cars, let alone JDM, so this should be a fun learning experience.

Last edited by Kyruuu; Oct 18, 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 06:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, I am jealous, love the older Evo's, i wish they sold the IV/V/VI's in the US. Keep us updated on the progress.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome man. currently looking for one as well
Old Oct 22, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Resources that could help:

Shop manuals http://evoscan.com/vehicle-manuals
Euro Evo community http://www.lancerregister.com/
Good source for JDM parts in Victoria BC http://www.rockymountainimports.net/

Last edited by nemsin; Oct 22, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice
congrats, welcome to the Evo world....

are you selling your ISF? I was actually looking into buying one as a daily, prices are still a little high for my liking....
Old Oct 22, 2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by EVO196
Nice
congrats, welcome to the Evo world....

are you selling your ISF? I was actually looking into buying one as a daily, prices are still a little high for my liking....
Nope, I love my F! Absolutely phenomenal summer car. Not sure what they go for in the US, but I got mine for 30k Canadian.

Here she is!
New to me Evo IV-enxgzcr.jpg

Heres the engine progress. Dropped the motor onto a jack, then lifted the car up and slid the motor out from under it. Pretty sneaky, I've never had to do that before. Usually just pulled from the top.

New to me Evo IV-5unndwg.jpg
New to me Evo IV-1gkeow2.jpg
New to me Evo IV-nhz2s7v.jpg
New to me Evo IV-8r8eq3a.jpg
New to me Evo IV-d2f91cn.jpg

Motor pulled... Waiting on belts for the new motor before I slide her in! Also did an AC delete, as several lines were damaged. And might as well shave some weight. Ordered an RS sized belt for it.

New motor I purchased is 300% mint. Checked it for runout on the crank, seems it hasn't been affected by walk. Local JDM importer just got it in from Japan. Full powertrain with accessories and harness for $2400 CAD.

On a side... If anyone needs parts from the old motor... Let me know. I'll be parting her out. Turbo has 0 shaft play.

New motor should be in tomorrow night! Hopefully she cranks right up.

For anyone who has done a swap... Can I put the motor back in with all accessories on? The only binding point I could see is the PS pump pulley.

Also any ideas on holding the crank stationary while breaking the gear bolt off? Was gonna remove the starter and have a friend hold a prybar in the flywheel teeth while I use a 2 foot breaker bar on it. Don't have air tools at home, just at work. Do have an electric impact, but I'm not sure if it pushes nearly enough. Didn't realize I had to spin it off to do the balance belt.

Last edited by Kyruuu; Oct 22, 2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:20 PM

Motor in...

What a ***** the timing belt was. Cam gears decided they wanted to move themselves the second the belt was off. Thankfully I had another 4G63 right beside it that was still in time to reference from.

As for breaking the crank bolt free... It took one zap with a 200ftlb impact gun.

Planted the motor in with everything but the PS pump on. Tomorrow I'll hook everything up, fill up the fluids, and hopefully give her a crank.

Last edited by Kyruuu; Oct 23, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
VERY jealous! I would love a IV/V/VI!!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 09:57 PM

SHE RUNS!

Motor swap finished tonight. Runs a bit rough, think I borked the idle sensor position when I swapped it from my old manifold. Need nuts for the turbo downpipe flange too. And have to bleed the clutch. But motor runs, nothing burning, no weird noises (other then it sounding like a harley because the exhaust is off...) and no leaks. No engine light either. Cat light is on, but that's because I don't have a cat....

Might be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Video of it running... GAH

If anyone is looking hard for a serp belt that works with AC delete... Evo IV RS sized belt (57 7/8") is perfect. I picked one up from Gates.

Last edited by Kyruuu; Oct 24, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 02:54 AM

Congratulations on your new car, that model is one of the most aggressive evo designs ever. Modern day classic
Old Oct 25, 2015, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats.
Really love this model.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 08:45 AM

wow amazing congrats!!!!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Give us your thoughts when it is all buttoned up and you have it on the street.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 08:22 AM
GLI

Enjoy!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:58 AM

Enjoy your project, this is what I did with my IV which is now a V. After a small roll we decided to convert the car to a V which took some work but really wasn't that hard to do.

New to me Evo IV-evo-v.jpg

This is what it used to look like
Attached Thumbnails New to me Evo IV-possible-c-3-.jpg  

Quick Reply: New to me Evo IV