Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Valve cover painting question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve cover painting question

Hi, I have probably searched for hours now with more than enough info about painting the valve cover, but the one thing I cant seem to find or figure out is if you need to use clear coat after or not. The reason why I am wondering is because I heard not to put clear coat on because the clear coat itself will turn brown due to heat, but at the same time I have heard people say you need to put clear coat on. So do I need clear coat or not?
Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2015, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
A clear coat meant for painting engines will not turn brown. Since you have an evo IX, the painting steps are a little bit different because your valve cover is made of magnesium. Just be sure that if you get it powder coated that the shop uses a liquid paint stripper for the prep work and not a blasting media. The grains of media will get caught under the baffles in your valve cover and end up ruining your head and eventually your engine.

-pal215
Old Oct 30, 2015, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pal215
A clear coat meant for painting engines will not turn brown. Since you have an evo IX, the painting steps are a little bit different because your valve cover is made of magnesium. Just be sure that if you get it powder coated that the shop uses a liquid paint stripper for the prep work and not a blasting media. The grains of media will get caught under the baffles in your valve cover and end up ruining your head and eventually your engine.

How To Paint Evo Valve Cover - YouTube

-pal215
Thanks for the info, and as for the powder coating, I was just gonna use some hi temp engine paint lol. So in your opinion, do you think it would be best to use clear coat? And what happens if I dont? (Dumb question probably)
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just used the VHT brand wrinkle finish paint and it holds up just fine. They make a high temp clear coat that you can buy at your local Autozone/Pep-boys/Napa whatever.

Honestly I don't think anything would really happen if you don't clear it other than the paint could rub off easier(if it contacts anything)
Old Oct 31, 2015, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I think the use of clear coat was originally for metallic paint. The metal in metallic paint is aluminium flake. Expose aluminium to oxygen and it turns a dull flat grey. Seal it and it stays shiny.

Only some Evos were clear coated. My red car wasn't and after twelve years it still looks pretty good considering the only wax it ever sees is what it gets in a car wash. However, Evo owners posting here who found out that they had cars without clear coat thought they had been cheated. So, nowadays about everything gets clear coat even though clear coat is more fragile than just plain paint. Our callipers are a good example.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Heirthos
Thanks for the info, and as for the powder coating, I was just gonna use some hi temp engine paint lol. So in your opinion, do you think it would be best to use clear coat? And what happens if I dont? (Dumb question probably)
In my opinion, I would use clear coat. It just adds another layer of protection and makes for a wet finish. I've always liked the way our brembos came from the factory. They were cleared for a great finish.

If you opt for a less glossy finish and don't use it, you will still be fine.

-pal215