Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Daily driven high hp evos!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily driven high hp evos!!

What's up guys. Soooooooo, I'm here at home going through "daily driven 9 sec evos" on YouTube and was wondering how many ppl really daily drive there evos with big power! Because I do, mine just made 709whp spinning on a mustang dyno and now going for more tomorrow. She should go mid to low 9s with a tire! But I try to drive her all the time and when ever I can. Cause of course YouTube says daily driven and come to find out car is in a garage 80% of the time. But I have a few questions just to see what other ppl have gone through.

What hp level did the car make?
What hp level do you drive it on?
How many pounds of boost are you running?
How long did your build last before things either broke and or had to be refreshed?
What's the thing you hate most about driving it with that much power?
What fuel?
How much do push it a day?
What clutch are you using?

Last edited by 6466Animal; Dec 8, 2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
As far as I understand it, the long term daily driver possibilities with a good tuner are like this:

11 seconds: definitely
10 seconds: maybe
9 seconds: you're something special if you can keep this up

I'm at 11 so not worth talking about. Curious what else gets posted in this thread though.

Last edited by Name User; Dec 7, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Op please add to your list
"What clutch are you using"
Old Dec 8, 2015, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Name User
As far as I understand it, the long term daily driver possibilities with a good tuner are like this:

11 seconds: definitely
10 seconds: maybe
9 seconds: you're something special if you can keep this up

I'm at 11 so not worth talking about. Curious what else gets posted in this thread though.

Hahahaha that's perfect!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol after owning my RL I can't drive an evo daily ever again. Guess it doesn't help that I have an RS. Like riding a skateboard with doors and a roof.

I dd'd my first evo on around 500hp and it felt normal. Not really high hp but not bad.

Edit: Forgot to mention the body / Trans,drivelive had 160k on it and still ran flawless.

Last edited by luvboost; Dec 16, 2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I daily mine, granted I only drive it to the gym, pick up the kids from school, and run errands. Car will see like 100mi a week or less.

I have a boost controller so I can adjust my boost and make my car go from 400whp to 700whp. When I am in full daily mode I will be in the 400hp mode, but if I am going to have a little fun I will dial it up a bit.

But when you say daily, most people that do that will putt there car around so you are not abusing anything. Now if you are in kill mode all the time and beating the crap out of your car every time you leave a light then yes you will wear your parts out faster. I would consider that more like road racing .

But what is the point of having one of these cars if you are not going to drive it.

What hp level did the car make? 400-700whp
What hp level do you drive it on? above, depends on what I am doing mostly 400whp
How many pounds of boost are you running? 16psi-33psi
How long did your build last before things either broke and or had to be refreshed? Has not happened yet, running for about 2 years, ~10k miles
What's the thing you hate most about driving it with that much power? Nothing, the car is so much fun, my favorite part is getting the dirty looks from school staff, when I pick up my kids. Exhaust dumps out of the front bumper .
What fuel? E85
How much do push it a day? Not at all when kids are in the car, no kids, I mess around all the time in 400whp mode, unless I see something special on the freeway, then 700whp mode gets turned on.
What clutch are you using? QM Twin the new one
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You're gonna find that over 150hp per cylinder, reliability takes a dump.

So, in my opinion after owning an Evo for 10 years and watching the mod scene, you'll find that if you want a reliable car over 600hp, you've gonna want more cylinders.

I have seen countless number of people who are like, "Look at my awesome 800 hp Evo." After awhile and (I'm assuming) many repairs, they disappear.

There are always exceptions, but that seems to be the general rule.

So, I wish you luck and I hope it lasts
Old Dec 8, 2015, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC

So, in my opinion after owning an Evo for 10 years and watching the mod scene, you'll find that if you want a reliable car over 600hp, you've gonna want more cylinders.

I have seen countless number of people who are like, "Look at my awesome 800 hp Evo." After awhile and (I'm assuming) many repairs, they disappear.

This is what I've been saying to myself for a while now. As much as I LOVE the 4g63/evo platform I don't it's really reliable once you break into 600whp+ territory, built block or not.

My other car is an e46 m3 turbo that puts down 720whp on 19 psi w/ a pte 6466, on a stock block! As much as I'd love for the evo to make these kind of numbers I simply don't see it being reliable due to what you started above. Physics is physics and the sheer stress that these 4 cyl motors see on high boost etc means it's much harder to keep your car together than a 6 or 8 cyl....
Old Dec 9, 2015, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

clutch is the biggest pain point i see daily driving a monster. And I think the term daily driven means it can be driven daily....but you dont have to put miles on your baby to prove that point. Full Interior, comfortable (relative) right, can pass emissions. Thats daily driven....regardless if you only pull it out on sunny days or the weekend.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor

That's why I am putting in a SpeedSport Carbon/Carbon single. A relatively easy clutch to drive, can handle 600 torque and won't have that annoying twin plate rattle
Old Dec 9, 2015, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
clutch is the biggest pain point i see daily driving a monster. And I think the term daily driven means it can be driven daily....but you dont have to put miles on your baby to prove that point. Full Interior, comfortable (relative) right, can pass emissions. Thats daily driven....regardless if you only pull it out on sunny days or the weekend.
You might keep your car's mileage low but your own is going to keep climbing.

I'm not going to be the older guy with the bad knee or the bad back who needs to sell his 30k mile Evo.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Lol.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

That's why I am putting in a SpeedSport Carbon/Carbon single. A relatively easy clutch to drive, can handle 600 torque and won't have that annoying twin plate rattle
Details? Might have to look into this.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Details? Might have to look into this.
Discussion here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...on-clutch.html

You can buy them through me
Old Dec 10, 2015, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Does this also apply for 2.3L evos with I beam rods and a well balanced rotating assembly?

-pal215

Quick Reply: Daily driven high hp evos!!