Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SpeedSport Single Carbon-Carbon Clutch

Old Apr 2, 2014, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedSport Single Carbon-Carbon Clutch

I don't own or drive an EVO, but I do have friends that do. I'm currently researching a replacement clutch and was thinking about going with a carbon-carbon for my daily driver a 2008 Spec B (20g E85 430/450 whp/wtq on a Mustang dyno). I have read lots of threads on this forum, and most people are running the Exedy Twin HD and I was considering that clutch too. Everyone I talk to that runs the Exedy Twin likes them, and only a few have had problems with them. Because carbon-carbon is usually very expensive not many people run them. The technology has been around for a while and used in track/drag racing and seems to be proven. And lots of high torque/power cars probably use these clutches (ATS, Tilton, Exedy). I found out that RPS makes a very good carbon-carbon clutch for a variety of vehicles. During my research it looks like the technology has advanced, and is affordable, daily drivability is great, to those who generally shy away from running carbon-carbon due to various reasons (overkill, not needed, too expensive, heard that it wears out faster, grabs too hard when hot, not enough data to be proven, etc.).

RPS carbon-carbon clutches are available for the EVO and I read here that a few people are running them. I'd like to hear some feedback, from long term use if possible of any carbon-carbon clutch.

RPS clutch has a spun off business run by the RPS owner's son RJ Smith. The company is called SpeedSport Clutches. They make a single carbon-carbon clutch which seems good, and is based off the RPS clutch technology.

http://speedsportclutches.com/pages/Evo8Single.html

Thoughts? Feedback?

Last edited by 510Finn; Apr 2, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 03:14 PM

This is a photo of their carbon-carbon twin clutch for the EVO rated at 900 lbs/torque.

Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the original rps carbon twins did not shift well at high rpms. so sales dwindled to non existent. RJ has an uphill battle if wants to sell any evo clutches. the single carbon carbon is new. I think your the first to post on it. I have used , RPS, tilton, exedy, and ATS carbon clutches. the ATS are the best value by far in my opinion. its carbon on metal and lasts the life of the car when broken in and driven correctly. shift fantastic, drive smoother than all the others.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 01:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
The very light sprung clutch disk and 600 ft-lb holding capacity sure make it sound interesting. Lots of unknowns though - drivability, launchability, clutch life, pedal pressure...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the original rps carbon twins did not shift well at high rpms. so sales dwindled to non existent. RJ has an uphill battle if wants to sell any evo clutches. the single carbon carbon is new. I think your the first to post on it. I have used , RPS, tilton, exedy, and ATS carbon clutches. the ATS are the best value by far in my opinion. its carbon on metal and lasts the life of the car when broken in and driven correctly. shift fantastic, drive smoother than all the others.
+1 for ATS
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:58 AM

Do you have any data or feedback on this about the RPS carbon twins? How long ago was this? I only saw that back in 2004 first iteration of their twin carbon didn't bode so well for the TT Supra owners pushing over 1000+ hp, but then it was remedied by them using a Forged Billet PP and changing the design to strapless.

I heard ATS is very good too.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred
The very light sprung clutch disk and 600 ft-lb holding capacity sure make it sound interesting. Lots of unknowns though - drivability, launchability, clutch life, pedal pressure...
It does sound very interesting that's why this discussion, I wanted to get feedback. I found that a supercharged 300hp MX-5 Miata auto-crosser lady driver is using their carbon-carbon single, had this feedback. Turned out she fried the heavyduty ACT that was in the car and went with the single carbon-carbon.

Stock pedal feel, great holding power is mentioned. This was back in 2012, I wonder if they are still using the same clutch and how many events they've been using it for, would be good information too.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Bumping this thread. This is the clutch I am looking into. Justin Bordonaro has been running it on his Evo, and only has good things to say about it.

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/ima...low/Justin.jpg
Old Jul 30, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

try one. some needs to give feedback on it. the single should shift amazing. disc weight is literally half the weight of the twin.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for a replacement alternative to rebuilding the QM in my car. If I could get a single that could hold 600lbs of TQ max, have no high rpm lockout or be an on and off switch I would take a look.

Also thinking about going back to the ATS triple I had in my blue evo originally.......just dont want to spend that money if I could help it.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

try one. some needs to give feedback on it. the single should shift amazing. disc weight is literally half the weight of the twin.
I may end up being the forum guinea pig, but Justin has had it on his race car and they're local (like 10 min away from work).

Only hesitiation is that it's an unsprung disc. Wonder what kind of noises (if any) that menas
Old Jul 31, 2015, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

its possible there would be very little to no noise when used with balance shafts. just be sure to get the steel flywheel.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I may end up being the forum guinea pig, but Justin has had it on his race car and they're local (like 10 min away from work).

Only hesitiation is that it's an unsprung disc. Wonder what kind of noises (if any) that menas
According to the website, its a sprung hub.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

another cool feature on these clutches is the TOB is machined for a square ring. the TOB cannot pop out. you do have to unbolt pressure plate from fly to drop the trans. the ring can only be undone from backside.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

According to the website, its a sprung hub.
Really? I missed that. I didn't see one on the discs.

ALso, how much louder would the aluminum flywheel be?

I need to talk to them about weights. I'll call them today and update here. Their office is literally like 10 minutes away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SpeedSport Single Carbon-Carbon Clutch